• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphires response about 5870 whine.

Soldato
I got a response back from Sapphire tech support and this is what it said

Dear Sir :
It's normal behavior of this fan , please no worry about it.

Thanks.

if it's normal how come others dont seem to mention it? or are everybody elses fans so loud that they do not even notice it? :confused: now i wonder if it's actually true and they are all like this.

Associate

if it's normal how come others dont seem to mention it? or are everybody elses fans so loud that they do not even notice it? :confused: now i wonder if it's actually true and they are all like this.

I get no whine with mine. In fact I can hardly hear my fan unless I pump the fan upto full power and then it sounds like a hover.

Associate
Check it against the 3DGameman video here.

They do seem loud when at 50-100%, but all high-end cards are until you watercool them.

Caporegime
The problem is, one persons whine, is another persons silence, and yet another persons deafening sound that causes them to commit suicide.

For us, whine, and for Sapphire support, that can mean anything, from the fan is quieter than 90% of other cards, to the loudest and worst fan ever produced.

More detail is really whats required.

when you set the fan to its lowest speed, can you hear it at all, what kind of "whine" is it. Is it just too loud for your liking, is it fan the noise of air coming out the air vent at the back, is it only when the fans above a certain level.

You've come on, made two threads, and failed to do much more than tell us you have a fan, and a problem with it, and nothing much else.

If someone sent me an e-mail saying, "my graphics card fan, makes a noise" which is mostly what you've said, with no detail, I'd probably tell you thats normal also.

Soldato
maybe your fan is ramping up due to poor case airflow? these cards are supposed to be silent infact the best stock fans on ati hardware for many years.

it could also be that you have a faulty fan. try running with the side of your case off. if you notice its still there maybe its spinning faster than it should at idle. also compare your idle/load temps and fan speed to others. if you notice your running hotter or fans are going faster at the same temp its prolli airflow. if its still there with the side off you may want to think about returning the card and sharpish. the distance selling laws may help you with a quick turn around here, should be faster than a warranty claim.

Soldato
on first insstal my fan made a computer clicking noise for the first 5 mins of operation but has since stopped.

i can't hear mine at all. even when gaming i can't hear my fan spin up which i am very pleased about.

it may just be the bearings needing time to settle?

Associate
At 27% I can't hear my 5870 fan at all; it is completely silent (relative to the PSU fan, which is less so :p) but at 28% it makes a quiet high pitch sound, and at 29% it is unbearable :p It is weird how small an adjustment can make such a huge change. To be honest 29% sounds the same as 100% - the difference between 29% and 27% is so much it makes me worry whether the fan is actually spinning or not :p

Soldato
are you referring to capacitor whine or the fan making some sort of dodgy noise.

My 4870X2 also used to Squeal with capacitor whine especially on loading screens i notcied this a lot as the card was water cooled so there was no fan noise.

I have noticed it ever so slightly on my 5870 but its nothing compared to the 4870X2

Ive set my fan to manual at 35% seems to be a nice spot for noise / temps

Soldato
OP
Check it against the 3DGameman video here.

They do seem loud when at 50-100%, but all high-end cards are until you watercool them.

Listen to 40 seconds in, that is the whine noise that sounds very much like what i get.. i can hear it lightly over my case fans and more when it ramps up a little. But i keep mine at auto and i still hear it, instead of the constant whine it seems to be on and off though.

Wonder if i have a slightly defective fan or something? this might not seem like much to some, but it is annoying.

Soldato
You would thick with today's technology, they would be able to build a fairly silent fan as model's progressed no matter what the speed of the fan. But they don't seen to be bothered, after all your paying good money for GFX card > ati 5870 - £300, no improvement in noise.

Posted By RavenXXX2
I can hear it from 24% and up, my case is right next to me on my desk so I hear everything, anything above 30% is real loud, I game with a headset so I'm not bothered.

What happins if you prefure to use a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker set up, only to have it ruined by fan noise(whine). Do you not think its about time they got their act together!

Caporegime
They've always made that ERRRRRRRRRRRR noise, it is normal, they've had those god awful fans since the x1800's, so i buy the custom cooled cards all the time now, fed up of waiting for them to change the damn things.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
What is it about the fan that causes the noise though? im not talking about the whoosh sound but the whine behind it.

Maybe it is just normal of these fans afterall, and yes you would think they would have made a better fan by now if they have been like it for the past series.

Soldato
I can hear it from 24% and up, my case is right next to me on my desk so I hear everything, anything above 30% is real loud, I game with a headset so I'm not bothered.

Ditto, case is literally 1 foot from me so I can even hear the HDD accessing. But over that and the noise of the corsair PSU I can't hear the gpu fan at all. Just a quiet hum.

I am very dubious about silent PC builds. I know mine isn't intended to be but if I put all fans on low and merely stick it under the desk... Zomg. Can't hear it!

i can't hear my fan until i reach 40% and even then it is very slight.

maybe thats because of my case - Fortress - which is keeping it all quiet?
Funny that, I just checked it myself, I've never had the fan spin up this high so I did it manually, about 40% for me too.

I'm using a 4890 vapor-x, but still, 40%.

Soldato

What the hell did you think they would say :rolleyes:
In Your first thread I listened to Your recording and posted You did not even reply !!
Strikes Me You want to just talk about the problem !
You have only one way out here, That is to box it up and return it for a refund..trust Me, nothing else will work !

Back
Top Bottom