Sat Nav for <£100

Soldato
After a quick scout around it seems that TomTom's are a bit out of my price range. A colleague recommended Garmin as they manufacture GPS for the shipping industry? Either way, that can't do any harm.

Requirements:

- 4.3" screen.
- Economical guidance.
- Quick and simple to use.
- Bluetooth.
- RELIABLE.

The Garmin 1310 can be had from my local Tesco for £85. Well within my price range and ticks all the boxes.

Anything else I should consider for below £100?

Thanks!

Associate
I have a garmin nuvi 1490t and it's pretty nice. I'd say go for a garmin within your price range like the one in your OP

Associate
Halfords are doing the TOMTOM XXL western europe for £89.99 this weekend, which is a great price.

Doesn't have Bluetooth, but the bluetooth function on sat navs is terrible anyway.

Soldato
Got an android phone? If so then co-pilot is very good. probably available for apple too, can't be bothered to google.

If not the mrs has a garmin nuvi and whilst it's very good it gets confused as hell on new roads it doesn't know about. I suspect most sanavs would do though.

Soldato
I can't claim to be a satnav guru, but from having driven around the countryside a fair bit I usually find the TomTom is better than the Garmin in rural areas. I realise that's a data sample of 1, but just my 2p!

Associate
I'd have said TomTom's are better than Garmins, two TomToms in my household and a Garmin in my girlfriends, but it seems they get lost using the satnav often as it either takes them a longer route or just simply the wrong way

Soldato
Garmin are great value, but they take forever (I mean like a whole minute, which is a long time when you're approaching a roundabout and don't know which way to go) to recalculate routes if you go off track by mistake. Tom tom are really the best way forwards. I have an ancient navman (now mio, which are ****) that's fine. The tomtom via120 (the Live version is a bit more, easy to get them mixed up) is usually decent value.

Soldato
OP
Got an android phone? If so then co-pilot is very good. probably available for apple too, can't be bothered to google.

If not the mrs has a garmin nuvi and whilst it's very good it gets confused as hell on new roads it doesn't know about. I suspect most sanavs would do though.

I have a SGSII but I'd prefer to get a dedicated nav. If I'm spending £20-30 on an application, might as well put it towards a proper unit.

Soldato
OP
Halfords are doing the TOMTOM XXL western europe for £89.99 this weekend, which is a great price.

Doesn't have Bluetooth, but the bluetooth function on sat navs is terrible anyway.

Does the TomTom have some kind of economical route guidance? The Garman 1310 has ecoRoute or whatever it's called.

Soldato
OP
Why buy an app when google navigate is actually very fast, reliable and best of all free!

It has caused too many problems. Half the time it takes me to the wrong destination! Not to mention you can't cache maps, you need to use data to plot a route.

Man of Honour
I have a SGSII but I'd prefer to get a dedicated nav. If I'm spending £20-30 on an application, might as well put it towards a proper unit.

I have a dedicated Tom Tom and also Copilot on my Samsung Galaxy Note (just a slightly bigger SGS2). I'd say that CoPilot on my phone is 90% as good as the dedicated satnav, a mere fraction of the price, recalculates routes faster, and because it's plugged in while driving I arrive at my destination with a full battery.

The only reason I don't use CoPilot all the time is that we have two cars and I can't be arsed to take the cradle out of the other car. Overall I can't see me ever buying another expensive dedicated unit and expensive maps.

Man of Honour
Why buy an app when google navigate is actually very fast, reliable and best of all free!

It's not reliable at all due to jus reliance on data. It's good when it you are in a perfect 3g areaabut it once didn't even download enough to start working until I was 300 yards from my destination.

Soldato
OP
Ended up buying the TomTom XL2 from Halfords for £89.99. It came with a £10 gift voucher too. I'll be using that to buy some Auto Glym!

Back
Top Bottom