SATA drive only detected half the time

Associate
Hi I'm having a problem with my HD it only seems to want to get detected on boot up half of the time, I can always hear it click as I turn the computer but then it does not show on the screen or in bois, but other times it pops striaght up, I have tried changing the SATA cable but it has made no difference, any ideas.

Thanks

Man of Honour
Run diagnostic software on your drive, most manufacturers have tests you can run from their website or tools you can download.

What is your PSU, motherboard southbridge and hard drive?

Associate
OP
Motherboard is a Asus A8N-SLI SE (not sure what southbridge is on it), PSU is 500w (not sure of the make but it's nothing special), hard drive is a maxtor SATA (a few years old now).

I gave up and installed windows onto an old 20gb drive I had kicking around the house and that seems to be working and windows picks up the sata drive wheather it was detected on start up or not now, but now every time I try to use the SATA drive for more than 30 seconds it freezes and I have to re-boot, I've tried all four SATA plugs on the motherboard and three different cables but nothing seems to help.
The drive worked fine in my old system before the power supply blew and took out the motherboard but since I put it in this system it's been nothing but trouble.

Associate
OP
Ok this is getting really annoying, I'm now trying to copy everything off onto a PATA drive before I try formating it but it won't stay connected long enough to do it, it just keeps making a sound like a USB device disconnecting.

Bry

Bry

Associate
its possible it suffered damage from when your old system went.

how long is it staying connected for? You might be able to try copying jsut one or 2 files at a time will be tedious but better than nothing.

You can test to see whetherits your motherboard/sata sockets or the hdd by getting yourself a cheap externalc addy (they are sub £20) but tbh it sounds like when your old system went it damaged your hdd too

Associate
OP
Well I've copied everything off it now, tried formating it but it cut out half way though, gonna take it to a friends house and get them to test it for me cause at the moment I'm using PATA drives cause I don't want to waste money on a SATA drive if it isn't going to work properley.

Thanks for the help.

Associate
Are you sure the cable isnt moving atall? i find when my sata drive dicides its not going to work its because of the flimsy sata cables, try a new one or with abit of bluetak or something to make sure its not coming loose..

Associate
OP
Tried three data cables and tried powering it using the SATA power connetor and the normal power connetor, I'll try using bluetak though, it might just work thanks.

Back
Top Bottom