1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sata express=more sata connections?

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by loxocemus, Feb 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM.

1. loxocemus

Associate

2. FredFlint

Wise Guy

On the mobo's I have, yes, they can be used as 2 SATA ports for each SATA Express connector.

3. loxocemus

Associate

muchosgrassyarse :)

4. FredFlint

Wise Guy

I have Asus X99 and Asus Z97, don’t know if its the same on Gigabyte mobo's but probably will be.

5. loxocemus

Associate

does using the sata express as regular sata's effect the functionality of the regular satas (ie like some m.2 slots share with particular satas) do sata express share anything with regular satas?

6. FredFlint

Wise Guy

It will depend on the mobo, will need to check the manual.

7. loxocemus

Associate

thankyou, the few manuals iv read for my prospective purchases havent mentioned sata express/sata conflicts, its mostly sata m.2 conflicts, i wonder if thats because hardly anyone uses sata express, or there is genuinely no conflicts, i suppose its time for some emails to manufacturers and hopefully they'll answer.

thankyou for ur help.

8. ANDARIAL

Mobster

ARE there any sata express devices?
    can`t say i have ever seen or heard of any?:confused:

9. loxocemus

Associate

ditto, its one of those failed tech that still gets tacked on, but if u can use it as regular sata thats fine by me :)

10. FredFlint

Wise Guy

WD SATA Express Hybrid Prototype - CES 2015:

11. ubersonic

Capodecina

This should be the case on every board as it's part of the SATA-EX design/spec.

No, but obviously it limits them to SATA-3 speed instead of SATA-EX speed.

Even though it was superseded by U.2 before it attained mainstream adaptation it's unlikely to "fail" per say, what will probably happen is that in the foreseeable future boards will come with 1-2 SATA-EX ports instead of any SATA ports (thus gaining backwards compatibility plus the ability to use SATA-EX devices (it's been reported that we may eventually see some of the mechanical "hybrid" drives become capable of connecting via SATA-EX or SATA-3).

12. loxocemus

Associate

if i were to use all the sata express ports as regular sata ports this would disable the the "regular" sata ports ie on a board with six sata6gb and 3 sata express, if all sata express were populated with sata6gb hdd's all the regular sata would be disabled?

thankyou for ur help

does using the sata express as regular sata's effect the functionality of the regular satas (ie like some m.2 slots share with particular satas) do sata express share anything with regular satas?
    No, but obviously it limits them to SATA-3 speed instead of SATA-EX speed.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017 at 11:51 AM
  13. ubersonic

Capodecina

No, think of it like USB, if you have six USB2 ports and two USB3 ports then you can connect 8 USB2 devices. It's similar with SATA-EX, each port can connect a SATA-EX device or 1-2 SATA devices.

14. loxocemus

Associate

so 2 sata express and 4 regular satas means i could connect 8 ssd's all at 6gbs (apologies for my confusion but im getting conflicting answers from different places)