SATA II being detected as SCSI

Associate
I have a little issue I'm hoping you can help me out with. I bought a WD SE16 320GB last week, after finishing the system build and installing Windows the OS is reporting it as a SCSI drive... as I have never dealt with such a drive before I'm not sure if this is OK or not, does SATA II share some of the same properties as SCSI?

Drivers were installed in the correct fashion (F6/floppy disk on install) and the JMicron driver added once the installation was complete. Curiously after adding the JMicron driver Windows started displaying the hard drive as being removable from the system.

Motherboard is an ASRock Dual SATA2 and things were running fine until a BSOD occured after changing the SATA II feature in the bios from IDE to SATA. :(

Man of Honour
When you come to install the drivers in Windows installation it is labelled as SATA/SCSI drivers if memory serves so it isn't entirely unreasonable for Windows to presume it to be SCSI or similar. I can't remember what mine are recognised as offhand(I'm posting from my laptop) but I wouldn't be all that worried about it.

SATA is designed so that it can be hot-swappable so that is why you might see the "Safely add/remove hardware" icon popping up, however if it is your boot drive you won't be able to and it depends on how your motherboard manufacturer has implemented SATA if it will actually be hot-swappable.

Back
Top Bottom