1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satisfactory Alpha release

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by wnb, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Tombstone

Capodecina

Yeah the missus and I have a nice little base on the go, though we are still learning the Update 3 stuff as we started fresh when U3 dropped. I should knock up a video next weekend of what we've got so far. Its pretty basic compared to some bases I see :D

2. mohawk

Wise Guy

i have a habit in the game of making a sprawling mess of a base, happens every time even though i always tell myself it will be neater next time! really enjoying this update although i dont like what they have done to coal power stations even if it does make sense! :p

3. loftie

Hitman

I do this in Factorio. "This time will be different!" Makes all the blueprints, ghost builds lots of stuff.

Some time later.....

"**** it it's a mess and I don't have enough space, burn it down and rebuild things"

4. MissChief

Capodecina

@VeNT keeps playing this over Apex Legends when he himself asked me if he wanted a push on ranked mode. It must be good.

5. swillsy

Hitman

Are you guys starting a new game? Dismantling and rebuilding OR trying to fix?

6. Raumarik

Capodecina

I always start a new game, why I rarely make it past steel...

7. Tombstone

Capodecina

We started ours new rather than trying to fix or rebuild

8. Kainz

Capodecina

I had a massive rail network spanning the entire map in my first and previous Update 2 build. I tend to always go semi-autonomous for my factories as I prefer to mass build the components and store them - then combine them as required. It is a throwback to the Minecraft FTB days really.

I restarted my game and am now based up 'norf in a skybase by a large sea inlet and a heap of pure nodes all within distance. I am already upto Train tech now so I'm sitting back and beginning mass building as well as working on power as I am at 1200MW and now have the disaster that is Oil and Fuel to deal with!

Tip: Doggo's are awesome for early-midgame power slugs :D

9. Chadd

Wise Guy

I recently got this but I think I still prefer Factorio. I find the 3D element of the game makes navigating the terrain more troublesome when all I want to do is focus on building the best automated factory.

10. Tombstone

Capodecina

I can understand that, I was talking to a friend the other day about the two games and I said that in my opinion, if you wanted one to just build the most complex automated building going, where you need to almost have a degree in engineering then Factorio is the one but if you wanted one that had some elements of that but was more of a "game" then Satisfactory is the one.

I actually described it to him like this.. Factorio is Meccano and Satisfactory is Lego. The question of whether you prefer playing with Meccano or Lego is one of personal preference.

I like both but its the 3D of Satisfactory which sways it for me, yesterday I found a really good resource area but it was on the other side of a huge canyon, constructing a bridge that my automated vehicles and trains could go over and looking down into that canyon was just something missing entirely from Factorio and being able to build multistorey buildings with each floor used for different purposes and then having internal walkways where I can walk around inside the factory and look down on the machinery and conveyor belts as they wind between the floors is again a whole dynamic I simply miss too much when I go back to Factorio. Both are great games but I just see Satisfactory as the natural evolution of Factorio, at least until they do a Factorio 2 :D

11. montymint

Mobster

I think this game in it's current state is tempting me to move to the EGS. At launch I wasn't fussed but with each update I want to try it more and more

12. loftie

Hitman

They've teased a steam release FYI, but I know what you mean. Still got the £10 credit from EGS which I could use on it...

13. Tombstone

Capodecina

That would drop it to like £15. A bargain for £15.

14. loftie

Hitman

Yep, but I wanna see how the steam release plays out as I know people who have it currently on EGS and others who will, more than likely, get it on steam. Crossplay, steam workshop support and steam friends/multiplayer integration (if it has it) are bonuses that'd be nice.

15. VeNT

Capodecina

It is.

16. Tombstone

Capodecina

Very.

17. YoungBlood

Wise Guy

Haven't bought it yet or read too much up on it.
    Just curious, is there a goal you are working towards with this?

Like, Subnautica was all about escaping the planet, does Satisfactory have an ending?
    Are you trying to escape? or is it just a play in the sandbox until your bored kinda game?

18. Tombstone

Capodecina

Latest info on Steam release, sounds like it will be a while yet before it reaches Steam, does sound like they are going to have crossplay anyway though.

19. GhostlyPea

Mobster

I'll definitely pick it up when it's on Steam, glad it's coming over, plus it will ave had time to mature

- GP

20. VeNT

Capodecina

no.
    not yet.
    it got set objectives (supply x of y etc) which basically make you break your current build trying to acheave.