Say you’d won the £115M Euro Millions, would you go public?

Caporegime
If I won £115m I'd be stumping up for a 5* hotel suite and a taxi for any nights out in London, to be honest :p If I wanted a crashpad it certainly wouldn't be anywhere near Holloway Rd!

Ah, but being overly fussy about where you live is perhaps partly why you're still renting instead of being in the position were you've made a couple of hundred k simply by having bought a flat in a mediocre area a few years ago :p

Soldato
Just tell people you’ve had some bitcoin for a while... perhaps feign some disappointmemt that you didn’t cash out earlier. No one needs know how much exactly. Perhaps you’re still holding or actively trading some crypto assets. Unlike doing well from say a startup or getting some nice bonuses in finance etc... crypto is rather vague and others can’t really infer just how wealthy you might be.

There are people out there with say 50 million in assets living in large homes next door to people who have mortgages.

It doesn’t cost much of your win to get a big house with some land, a pool, cinema, gamesroom and plenty of garage space.

No one even needs to know about the London crashpad you use when taking the Mrs to West End shows etc... or the big villa on some Caribbean Island.

I think it's different for different people. For most young to middle aged english guys their social lives revolve around their mates and get involved in the community and family. It's pretty hard for them to keep quite a big win because they won't be able to do whats necessary to survive and be happy being incredably rich. And thats to mostly cut contact with everyone apart from the core family. You're going to get begging from extended family and friends of friends.

I'm a lot different. I'm a bit of an isolationist, i only speak regularly to my core family and basicly have no friends (and i keep that way and enjoy it) I'd only give money to my brother and his family, my wife's family and my mom and dad. That's it.

My mom and dad hardly need it anyway, they're in there 70's and have a great pension and everything is paid off (no mortgage) and no debts, they're very happy in their home and don't want to move, so all i can realy offer them is travel 1st class to whereever they want to in the world, which is not many places. I'd say they can live like kings for the rest of their lives with £500,000 at the very most.

My wife's family would be pretty stright forward and they probably use it to setup more businessness, seriously not only would i give them enough to pay off all their debts but i can invest in the family and probably double it in 5 years :D

My Brothers family is the difficult one. He is a bit of a dick and any amount i give him, large or small, he won't be happy. But what i worry about the most is my sister in law. She herself is fine but her family is almost the sterotypcal chav irish family. The kind if you throw them a penny they'll banging down your door everyday for more. I could just give them a couple of million just to watch them tear themselves apart and it would happen very very quickly. They haven't given me 5 mins in the last 25 years but i would bet if i won and they found out they'll be ringing me every 5 seconds like they're my new best freinds.

Keeping it quite would be easy otherwise, i've already got a decent sized new house in a decent area. I'd probably get it redecorated and buy a luxary family car and a little runabout but that would look out of place round here. And things get too hot i can ditch and move to a nice part of london and change my mobile number. with a win that size i'd give most away to charity and spend my life making sure it gets used properly.

Soldato
After watching the vid I linked above, they started out wanting to keep it private and we're quite intent on that.

It was only after they created their gifting list of 50 people that they figured there would be no way they could keep it quiet.

Sounds like they rushed too quickly in telling various people and didn't work out a good game plan for coming up with a viable way to pass out the money to people on their list without it looking obvious that they won the lottery.

Caporegime
I think it's different for different people. For most young to middle aged english guys their social lives revolve around their mates and get involved in the community and family. It's pretty hard for them to keep quite a big win because they won't be able to do whats necessary to survive and be happy being incredably rich. And thats to mostly cut contact with everyone apart from the core family. You're going to get begging from extended family and friends of friends.

But I wasn't talking about keeping a big win quite, I was talking about coming up with a different story for it and obscuring just how much it was worth.

Bob won 115 million on the lottery comes across differently to Bob did really well on bitcoin and has got a big house... as in the latter case no one has any idea just how much money Bob has left over etc... In the former case, if news of it got around then no doubt Bob would get beggars, lots of unsolicited contact from people fundraising for charity or seeking investments etc.. in the latter case Bob just lives in a nice house, perhaps near some other similar nice houses and may or may not have some more investments.

Man of Honour
Just... wow.

What part of it is so surprising to you?

What's your job?

I won't say anything on a public forum that might be construed as any negative comment with any potential to identify the business because that's grounds for dismissal. Even though I also stated that my employer is better than many (which it definitely is).

This explains a lot about you...

As if you needed a pretence of an explanation for your opinion.

Caporegime
On the subject of 9 figure jackpots....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...irls-hitched-used-car-salesman-pal-other.html

Not too surprising that the salesman married to one of the girls has introduced the recently single sister to one of his salesman pals and sure enough... he's also bagged himself a whale.

I didn't realise that Jay got himself engaged to the first sister within the space of a month though, that is impressive, though I guess not surprising.

For anyone not familiar with the firm, this guy wasn't actually a banker but a broker, he worked for a firm called Pacific Continental, also known as "PacCon" with an emphasis on the "con" part... they were an FSA regulated firm that flogged small cap equities to private clients - US Reg S stock, dodgy companies on AIM etc.. (if you search some online investment forums you'll find they were notorious just over a decade or so ago). Anyway the emphasis at that sort of firm was very much on salespeople who could close deals quickly, high pressure types etc.. ergo I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that he managed to snag his Ecclestone daughter within a month.

Edit - given the recent modern art thread, this might be the best bit, what is he and his salesman buddy up to these days:

He then moved on to being a property developer and, for the past 18 months, has been working for the Maddox Gallery chain, which deals in contemporary ‘investment-grade’ art by the likes of Andy Warhol, Damien Hirst and Banksy.

I guess if you can flog Reg S stock and AIM cash shells to rich people then flogging some works by Hirst etc.. isn't going to be too hard either (possibly a bit easier tbh...) I wonder what the commissions are like?

Last edited:
Soldato
Some people will mess it up. but it doesnt mean everyone will.

I certainly would not go public, my intention would be perhaps to keep it low with family, but if I do anything that they know I wouldnt afford otherwise I expect they would work it out.

Caporegime
nope. wouldn't tell anyone unless I had to. It might be a little obvious when the new cars and bigger house come about but I wouldn't go overboard, I'd set my kids up and also sort my parents out but outside of that who knows.

Honestly what I'd do is think of a simple game or something, pay someone to make it, release it on Android/Apple and then tell people it's more profitable than it is. That is, because people know I do programming so that 'fits', then I can buy some stuff but I can basically make up any story I want about how much money I have. Oh, someone paid me a lump sum for the game, I bought a new house, new car and almost all the money has now gone. Or oh, it pays out a few thousand a month, I'll probably make another game in the future, the money is paying for a mortgage on the new place but not much left over.

Basically use the money to establish some kinda small business you can use as an excuse for some major purchases without people thinking you have just millions and millions sitting in an account waiting for them to scam you out of.

The only reason I'd go public is if I was giving 95% of it away to various charities, maybe if I was dying in a few months or something, otherwise going public as a multi millionaire is asking for trouble.

Soldato
100% wouldn't go public.

I would look to emigrate and start afresh where no one would link a lottery win to the Bugatti I have in my drive.

I am just a random rich foreigner.

I would have course look after my family.

Associate
You really have to be an attention seeker to go public. The 15 minutes of fame mean more to you than the money and the nightmare it will bring once everyone knows you have it.

Soldato
Some people will mess it up. but it doesn't mean everyone will.

Seeing that millionaires are made through the lottery almost every week and it's been going on for years mean there must be 1000's out there. I just think we hear the horror stories of the ones willing to make themselves known. I would think a vast majority of them are happy and successful

Associate
My Brothers family is the difficult one. He is a bit of a dick and any amount i give him, large or small, he won't be happy. But what i worry about the most is my sister in law. She herself is fine but her family is almost the sterotypcal chav irish family. The kind if you throw them a penny they'll banging down your door everyday for more. I could just give them a couple of million just to watch them tear themselves apart and it would happen very very quickly. They haven't given me 5 mins in the last 25 years but i would bet if i won and they found out they'll be ringing me every 5 seconds like they're my new best freinds.

The "stereotypical chavs" probably play the lottery more than anyone else, so they are probably more likely to win it than you are. Maybe you should spend more time worrying about how much they are going to give you :)

Caporegime
I wouldn't say I live to work, far from it, but if you can't wait a month to bin in work after you've won £100m, that definitely says something about you.

Yeah, it says I've just won £100 million. Just lol at spending another month being a wage slave for someone who doesn't give a crap about you. Madness.

Soldato
Honestly I’d try and stay at work for up to a year and work out what my life is going to be like. May not be a super productive year but I’d plan my changes before jumping off the big one.

Soldato
Hard to say what you would do unless in the situation. I would like to think I would stay anonymous but how would you keep something like this a secret ? It is inevitable that people would find out no matter how careful you were. With my luck it is something I am never going to have to worry about anyway :D I managed to get 1 number across 6 tickets :(

Caporegime
Hard to say what you would do unless in the situation. I would like to think I would stay anonymous but how would you keep something like this a secret ? It is inevitable that people would find out no matter how careful you were. With my luck it is something I am never going to have to worry about anyway :D I managed to get 1 number across 6 tickets :(

If you move away from your area, say get a new place in Manhattan, live next door to some wall street guy, it doesn’t really matter. I see it’s only a problem if you stay where you are (if it’s a chavvy place, if you already live in somewhere affluent then it’s moot). Even if your friends ask you what are you doing there, then it’s up to your how much information you give out, it’s up to your who you trust and tell.

Or if you go travelling for a while before deciding to buy a place, no one will care what work you do.

Back
Top Bottom