Say you’d won the £115M Euro Millions, would you go public?

Soldato
I wouldn't say I live to work, far from it, but if you can't wait a month to bin in work after you've won £100m, that definitely says something about you.

If I still worked where I did before I became a stay-at-home Dad and I won, the day after the cash hit my account I'd have walked in with 12 50k cheques made out to each one of my coworkers with the caveat that they get them ONLY IF they log off and leave the company with immediate effect & would not return at all (they'd be a a contract to sign to get the cheque). I then drop my trousers and defecate on the boss's keyboard. Most jobs these days have no loyalty to you so deserve none from their employees.

Our office of 14 people, a sub-division of a larger department, in 6 months, hit targets set 10 fold, trebled the income of the entire department (300 staff). The thanks we got was a £10 Argos voucher as a bonus (we made £4.3 MILLION total with OHs of around 2) and targets almost 3 times what we had attained.

Caporegime
If I still worked where I did before I became a stay-at-home Dad and I won, the day after the cash hit my account I'd have walked in with 12 50k cheques made out to each one of my coworkers with the caveat that they get them ONLY IF they log off and leave the company with immediate effect & would not return at all (they'd be a a contract to sign to get the cheque). I then drop my trousers and defecate on the boss's keyboard. Most jobs these days have no loyalty to you so deserve none from their employees.

You’d likely find yourself getting sued if you did that.

Soldato
go to the public loos and hyperventilate ha, but not get in the lime light. me personally if i won such fortune id split it between family and donate some, so be no point to get scammers hopes up ;)

Soldato
Or your job. Or your employer.

I am a flunkey. As is the custom in the UK, my working practices are deliberately designed to cause me harm so that the resulting pain and chronic medical problems serve as a constant reminder to me of my inferior status. That is common custom in the UK. It's illegal, but the law isn't enforced in peacetime. In wartime it has been enforced because in wartime productivity is considered more important than harming flunkeys whereas in peacetime harming flunkeys is considered more important than productivity. This is the norm. It's almost uiniversal in this country and passes unnoticed as a result. People in low status jobs are routinely forced to work in ways unsuited to human physiology solely for the purpose of harming them, i.e. even when the work could be done more efficiently in a less harmful way. Harming flunkies is the point and it's considered even more important than profit. My employer is better than many, but it still does this because it's such a strong custom in this country.

I would bin my job in milliseconds if I won enough to live on for the rest of my life. What does that say about me? It says that I don't want to make my medical problems worse and do so only because I am forced to do so by needing money to survive.
What's your job?

Soldato
Most jobs these days have no loyalty to you so deserve none from their employees.

Our office of 14 people, a sub-division of a larger department, in 6 months, hit targets set 10 fold, trebled the income of the entire department (300 staff). The thanks we got was a £10 Argos voucher as a bonus (we made £4.3 MILLION total with OHs of around 2) and targets almost 3 times what we had attained.
Can I give you a little bit of advice? Quit your job. Seriously. If you hate it this much, for your health and those around you - you should just quit.

Soldato
Wouldn't go public myself but I hear they give good financial support if you do.

First thing I would do if I won that amount is quit my job and give all my work mates and people I get on with at work 1m each or enough so they can all quit there jobs as well, so basically my workplace would be in the **** because loads have walked out:D

Then I would give a load to family and close friends and a nice lump to charity.

I would like to think I would not splash the cash on loads of extravagant things, I would just try to fit in, so would not buy a huge mansion but rather a nice little house somewhere.

Caporegime
Apparently the winners are from Co Armagh. And the idiots are going public with it :rolleyes:

https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2019-01-03/ni-couple-bag-massive-114-9m-euromillions-jackpot/

Fair play to them though

A couple from Northern Ireland have made a list of 50 people with whom they intend to share their £115m EuroMillions win.

Frances and Patrick Connolly, who live in Moira, County Down, matched the winning numbers in the New Year's Day draw.

It is the fourth biggest UK EuroMillions win and the biggest in NI.

The lucky pair's identities were revealed at a press conference just outside Belfast on Friday.

Speaking to the media, Frances Connolly said the money will be shared between family, friends and charitable causes.

Associate
Can I give you a little bit of advice? Quit your job. Seriously. If you hate it this much, for your health and those around you - you should just quit.

Sadly improved health and benefit of those around you doesn't pay bills :p

Also, saw they had a list of 50 people they were giving money too but can't help but feel that's a terrible idea - will always be family or friends who don't make the list or feel they should be given more than they got etc etc. That said whatever they did I'd probably think was a silly idea as I'd never have gone public in the first place :D

Soldato
People would find out anyway, to the news, I would make myself anonymous, family I would only tell and ask them to sign a confidentiality disclaimer that it does not go public, I would only tell a couple of friends and maybe ask them to sign a confidentiality agreement, non-close friends no.

You can gaurentee by making it public to wider friends people who would not normally bother speaking to you will come pecking around your feet.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just wondering, what account(s) could you open for such a sum?

IIRC, following the financial crash, the government guarantees savings accounts, possibly per bank, up to £75000.

Obviously opening that many accounts is a no-go.

I know absolutely zero about off-shore banking, so this is possibly an option. I guess that's stuff the National Lottery Advisors could advise about.

You wouldn't put it in a bank - there's a whole job sector dedicated to such a question. Investment management :)

Soldato
I wouldn't go public but I think in this day and age it would be difficult for it not to get out. I'd sink most of it into property and use a decent letting agent to manage it so it was protected from any banking crisis but would then give a proportion of the wealth generated to charities.

Soldato
It's mad enough to go public but to say you've named 50 friends and family you're going to help... Can you imagine how many second cousins they're going to have come knocking?

Soldato
Sadly improved health and benefit of those around you doesn't pay bills :p
Ok well maybe don't just up and quit with nothing to go to, but if you have that much resentment to your workplace then you should really think about finding something else. Spending 40hrs/week somewhere you hate is never going to be good for you, mentally.

Back
Top Bottom