Scared guy needs help !

Soldato
I am in student accom...and my internet is connected by a network cable from the wall into my laptop,

but i want to be able to use the laptop on wireless in the lounge without being in my room using the net...

i have a netgear adsl router DG834GT,can i plug the network cable from the wall into one of the lan sockets on the router and then use my laptop wireless on the net?

J.B

J.B

Soldato
most adsl routers will work fine as an AP. you might need to adjust your tcp/ip settings to acsess the net through the uni system.

Would be really easy if your router has the function to go onto AP mode

Soldato
OP
i have no idea what to do...

i tried it but i didnt know what settings to change....

it obviously connects to the router...but the router isnt accessing the internet through the accomm LAN... i dont know how to make it do that

Permabanned
Id be careful with this, as plugging networking equipment such as hubs, switches and access points are usually against the t&c's of your accomodation- it certainly is at Edinburgh anyway.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
You get an error? Your machine doesn't get assigned an IP? Smoke comes out the back?

just doesnt load pages when you try and "surf".....

my wireless connects to the router...... the router has the lan connected to it from the wall to that itself...

but i can only surf the net if i plug the lan cable from the wall into the laptop...

kbc

kbc

Associate
lemonkettaz said:
just doesnt load pages when you try and "surf".....

Still doesn't clear the situation up.

Have you verified that your laptop is in fact communicating with your wireless router? You're basically just trying to use the wireless router as an access point by disabling the DHCP.

Permabanned
I'd suspect that the router is only configured to route traffic externally via it's ADSL connection. To route via standard ethernet would require a dedicated access point or a ethernet-only router such as a WRT54G

Caporegime
As kbc says, you still haven't answered the question, so to repeat:

tolien said:
You get an error? Your machine doesn't get assigned an IP? Smoke comes out the back?

M0KUJ1N said:
I'd suspect that the router is only configured to route traffic externally via it's ADSL connection. To route via standard ethernet would require a dedicated access point or a ethernet-only router such as a WRT54G

No it wouldn't - you aren't routing anything, just bridging the wired LAN interface (that's connected to the RJ45 on the wall) to the wireless interface.
Nothing to do with ADSL or the WAN port or anything else.

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
No it wouldn't - you aren't routing anything, just bridging the wired LAN interface (that's connected to the RJ45 on the wall) to the wireless interface.
Nothing to do with ADSL or the WAN port or anything else.

so how do i do that?

i am doing nothing with IP addresses... or anything... so do i need to do something there?

Soldato
Northumbria - could have been Newcastle but I don't think it was - set up wireless links at the halls iirc and they weren't working at all well last I knew (site to site links were dropping). I'm pretty sure you are asking for grief with this though as it's more than likley a breach of T&C's as pointed out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
lemonkettaz said:
i am doing nothing with IP addresses... or anything... so do i need to do something there?

Connect RJ45 on the wall to LAN port on router. Connect machine either over wireless or another LAN port. Machine should get an IP the same as it did when it was connected directly.

The obvious first thing to do would be make sure your machine's connecting to the router properly, then check if it's even getting assigned an IP (ipconfig /all is your friend).

But if this is a breach of the T&Cs it's game over for this thread.

Associate
When I was in halls (many moons ago :p ) the connection to the wall socket was tied to the MAC address which we had to give when we signed up.

This would mean you probably need to force your Router to spoof it's MAC address (though I'm not sure how you're going to get it to work as I don't think your router will allow you to spoof the "inside" network connection)

You probably need to check with your uni people, but I seriously doubt you are allowed

Back
Top Bottom