Scary films that dont rely on jump scares?

Man of Honour
It Follows.

If I remember correctly relies more on sound so you need a decent sound system.
I've heard that is watchable but terrible at the same time.

The Babadook was quite chilling. Also the Ring and the Grudge are quite disturbing. I'd recommend all three. The Grudge has been the only film to truly unsettle me... yep, the one with Sarah Michelle Gellar :D

Also, nothing wrong with a well executed jump scare! False scares are different... but they only tend to occur in teen horrors anyway.

Caporegime
It Follows is fantastic, one of the best horror films in years imo.

I'd recommend The Conjuring. The Conjuring 2 is a bit jump scary but the first is far more atmospheric.

I really liked Oculus, don't think that had many jump scares.

Soldato
I thought Sinister was quite scary due to its use of sound (drums etc). Almost felt like we the audience were the real intended target for the villian...v creepy 4th Wally....cud b my paranoid imagination tho..

Man of Honour
The Andromeda Strain is indeed good although not spooky in the way I assume the OP wants (definitely worth a watch though). I've not seen it for years.

Also from a similar era take a look a a 1970's series, available on youtube now, called Sapphire and Steel. Series 1, 2, 4 and 6 (called assignments rather than series) are great and have a real sense of the supernatural. I watched them as a child and the train station series (assignment 2) haunted me for years:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I thought Sinister was quite scary due to its use of sound (drums etc). Almost felt like we the audience were the real intended target for the villian...v creepy 4th Wally....cud b my paranoid imagination tho..

Ended up watching this. Not super creepy, but really enjoyed it. Will be watching Sinister 2 at some point. Cheers ;0

Man of Honour
Sinister has a perfectly executed gruelling jump scare in it...

Lawnmower scene!

Other awesome jump scare was from Insideous... in fact surely a contender for the best one ever:
Where the devil figure suddenly appears behind the man in daylight - holy poop that one got me!

Soldato
OP
Sinister has a perfectly executed gruelling jump scare in it...

Lawnmower scene!

Other awesome jump scare was from Insideous... in fact surely a contender for the best one ever:
Where the devil figure suddenly appears behind the man in daylight - holy poop that one got me!

First one was the only one that got me. A couple of well executed jumps are brilliant, but so many films rely on them way too much.

Same with gore, 1 or two gory scenes can really up the creep-factor, but when a film is just blood and guts everywhere, it looses all meaning.

Soldato
OP
If you don't mind subtitles, the original Japanese version of Shutter is great. The US remake, not so much.

No issues with subs, I have seen a few Japanese films that have been brilliant. I'll add this to the list.

A few older ones to check out. Dead Silence , Jeepers Creepers, Unfriended, The Descent, Darkness Falls

Unfriended and the Descent I have seen. I think lol, The descent is the English cave explorers?

Soldato

I'd actually say the better scare was...

The guy walking back and forth behind the window, then suddenly he's walking inside the room

However that damn red faced demon still puts my hairs on end when I think about it

Man of Honour
I'd actually say the better scare was...

The guy walking back and forth behind the window, then suddenly he's walking inside the room

However that damn red faced demon still puts my hairs on end when I think about it
I'll give you that one is also very good! For me what makes the other so perfect is that it is jarringly out of nowhere. No musical cues or warm up... nothing!

Associate
@Morve lol Jeepers Creepers!! Seriously?! I saw that recently and it was all kinds of bad :p

The sequel is funner but equally ridiculous.
I saw it in the cinema when it first came out, i thought it was good, the fact you didn't see the creature for so long built the suspense :) the sequel's where not up too much

Back
Top Bottom