1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, we are running a Photoshop competition with a 32" monitor as the first prize - See here for details.

Scottish Independance Referendum 2

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Kyo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Kyo

Mobster

Nicola Sturgeon to seek a second referendum for Scottish Indpendancies.

A couple of things she would need a

Scottish Parliment - Majority Vote
    UK Government -would need to give permission for this to take place.

Surely setting a date without clarify the circumstances is premature, reckless and utterly irresponsbile. My personal opinion is the timing could not be worse with the uncertainty around Brexit. Britian does not need further division to make matters even worse.

I dont understand how the SNP can throw the "indyref2" card whenever they dont agree UK government? Does this not make the whole independance vote the first time around meaningless if they can pull this "stunt" whenever they feel like it.

2. StriderX

Capodecina

Doesnt need either of those things if its just like the EU referendum where it was... advisory, precedent is set.

3. VincentHanna

Capodecina

OP - How did you vote on leaving the EU?

4. mid_gen

Sgarrista

In principle it's fine. Context has changed since the last referendum. Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay in the EU. It's right they should have another say.

The timing though...it's not like Scotland can just last-minute depart the UK and join the EU before article 50 runs out. Leave it until after that mess is sorted out.

5. Kyo

Mobster

I voted to "Remain" in the EU and "Remain" for Scottish Referendum. Although my family is originally from abroad a really long time ago, i am born and bred in Scotland and proud to be part of the UK.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  6. scorza

Caporegime

Pretty sure any referendum that uses government resources requires an Act of Parliament from Westminster - the UK Independence referendum was passed by parliament as was the last Scottish independence referendum.

I also note how the MSM give the Scottish independence referendum a nice, cuddly label - indyref and indyref2 rather than the fearsome, final label they gave the UK independence referendum - Brexit. Why not Scoxit?

7. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Scoxit hardly rolls of the tongue does it?

8. Roar87

Mobster

I suppose it diverts attention away from her ability to actually govern Scotland

9. Kyo

Mobster

Sounds like a disease which in a way it is :(

I question that almost everytime i see her name, as much i love Scotland, just look at the way how Scottish government has handled things so far. From building the Parliment fiasco to the recent Parliment fiasco "on wheels" (Trams) in Edinburgh.

10. Rotty

Don

Maybe she should ask for a replay of Saturday's rugby too seeing as that didn't go how she wanted

She really is turning into a bit of a nutcase and i really hope Westminster just tell her to go away

11. StriderX

Capodecina

Yet the likes of the M80/74 expansion, AWPR, Third Forth bridge, electrification of Edinburgh/Glasgow lines, revitalising key train stations... have occurred under the SNP as well.

12. Uther

Sgarrista

One of the big arguments for staying in the union was EU membership, yet just a couple of years later the (so called) UK wants to drag Scotland out of the EU, so I don't blame them for wanting another referendum.
    I wonder if May will allow it.

13. Rotty

Don

Even if they get the referendum then i think a lot will be scared by the fact that if they get back into EU as a new country they will have to adopt the Euro

14. StriderX

Capodecina

Oh no... not the EURO which has been stable for years - relatively, considering the threats - against £ which is likely going to be worth less.

15. Rotty

Don

And losing all control over interest rates etc?

16. Roar87

Mobster

I don't see how leaving the UK to be governed by the EU is an improvement. Have the EU said they'll accept Scotland? How long will it take them to become a member, what happens in the mean time?

17. Hotwired

Soldato

Allowing it? Our last PM didn't really want the last referendum, got forced into it then quit in disgust at the result.

Further sub dividing and still being out of the EU sounds like a farce. Scotland out of the UK and out of the EU isn't exactly attractive.

But hey, the UK out of the EU sounded like a really dumb idea too.

Lets allow the screaming hordes to make a direct vote on it.

18. scorza

Caporegime

Because the EU is a good union, full of social justice, playing nicely with others and being a global citizens.
    The UK is a bad union, full of Daily Mail reading little Englanders and fascists.

19. n111ck

Mobster

20. the_r_sole

Mobster

The political landscape has changed hugely since the previous referendum - brexit was not supported by people in scotland, so the uncertainty has been inflicted on the country by a minority - I don't see how a referendum could make the situation any worse, everyone has been banging on about democracy, why is there now suddenly cries for not letting the public vote?