1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scottish Independance Referendum 2

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Kyo, Mar 13, 2017.

1. robfosters

Caporegime

If brexit didn’t happen and we remained, what would the benefits then be for an independent Scotland?

2. StriderX

Capodecina

What it is has always been, a government that has to listen, and not one that can choose to, the Etonian massiv had a choice and they decided to greed it out.

So here we are.

3. Uther

Sgarrista

That ship has sailed. The ones I know who voted no in 2014 bought into the 'voting no is the only way to stay in the EU' lie and feel more that a little conned.

4. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

I'm hearing a lot of that actually - it almost seems like there are more people willing to Move from No to Yes on the basis that almost everything that was promised by the Lib Dem / Tory / Labour leaders in 2014 has come to nought than because of Brexit

5. robfosters

Caporegime

And how long would it take for Scotland to join the EU? It’s not exactly one application form and all sorted is it?

6. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

Control over our own affairs without being dragged down by a bunch of Etonian toffs, being able to have a global outlook based on compassion and moral values instead of the future for England/rUK which is basically going to be whoring themselves out to the highest foreign bidder while giving up all morals in exchange.

7. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

I personally am not convinced we would end up back in the EU, I'd almost rather go into the Single Market / EFTA with Norway for a while and then make up our minds.
    We could walk into EFTA in a very short period of time as we already meet the criteria.

8. 413x

Capodecina

If I was in Scotland I'd vote to leave the union now
    In ref1 I'd have voted to stay

Think they are in their rights to have another and I bet they will leave

9. robfosters

Caporegime

Well good riddance. But I’ll still have a passport thanks :p

10. 413x

Capodecina

Lucky! Nice hedging!

11. Quartz

Sgarrista

Citizens of an independent Scotland will not be entitled to passports for an independent England and vice versa. If Scotland becomes independent there will be no UK.

12. StriderX

Capodecina

Still an island and if the Irish Republic can have a free travel arrangement, i don't see how this cant work, still means a customs border though.

13. iamtheoneneo

Sgarrista

Exactly this. Scotland applications would take years to plan and get approved.

The energy is better spent out of the EU and forging a different trade pact. Which is ironic given the pro-EU retoric from NS. But ultimately all she cares about is Scotland as a single entity.

14. edscdk

Soldato

I don't think most people care about the benefits, if it's the same as brexit vote most people just want the imaginery opression to stop thought they don't really have any examples other than "I don't want the EU telling us what to do"...

15. Quartz

Sgarrista

Sturgeon cares about Sturgeon; she doesn't give a damn about Scotland.

16. robfosters

Caporegime

Sounds like they’ve watched Braveheart one too many times.

17. bayo000

Mobster

Don't wanna turn this to Brexit discussion but according to some politicians it's a very easy process that can be done in no time. Remember when project fear by Leave (and even our new PM) claimed that Turkey is about to join the EU and 70 millions of them will move over?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46926119

18. 200sols

Wise Guy

If brexit did happen what benefits would there be for an independant Scotland? They do 70% of their trade with us. The only reason to leave is for ideological and political reasons - much like the UK leaving the EU.

19. chrismscotland

Wise Guy

You never know.... they might try and expedite it they were wanting to try and screw over the rUK....

We would have the ability to control all areas of government policy without being tied to what the much larger part of the current Union wants, we could have our own completely different economic and social policies, our own immigration policies, we could get rid of nuclear weapons in Scotland (although I wager leasing Faslane back for 30 years would end up part of any separation agreement), we could make our own environmental laws - there's loads of things that we can't do currently as they're reserved to Westminster.

20. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Yep, all the things currently controlled by Westminster will fall under the remit of the Scottish Government. Do people honestly think that trade across the border would cease?