1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Scottish independence vote

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Biohazard, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Scottish independence, yes or no?

1. I'm Scottish and in favour of independence

137 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm Scottish and against independence

167 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I'm from another part of UK and in favour of Scottish independence

273 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. I'm from another part of UK and against Scottish independence

682 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. Superficial

Mobster

No one posted this I don't think so I will:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/04/15/uk-scotland-independence-polls-idUKBREA3E22R20140415

Rather different from the ICM polls which appear to have a certain trend.

Also worth noting that the latest ICM SoS poll showed no change for the Yes campaign but a worrying trend for the No campaign - namely that, indeed, the Scottish public aren't responding to the perceived negativity of the campaign and are moving to the don't know camp.

2. Biohazard

PermaBanned

Yes I have, it's no use to me when I'm casually catching up on the last few pages when I can.

I'm back now I have a little more time on my hands, I've been there for the 'cause' through thick and thin, and in all honesty my time is probably far more productively spent on the ground as opposed to here when I'm am taking time to contribute.

Nice to see you too.

3. Biohazard

PermaBanned

Polls are polls, they all have their quirks and individual trends, yet in saying that I think they have started to cause some serious cause for concern amongst Better Together and Whitehall which has thrown everything and the kitchen sink at this (people moan about one white paper from the SG, compared to a dozon from Whitehall!) I think since the 'Currency Threat' it's started to go down hill, and where Better Together started to lose it is failing to see what had went wrong. They in fact went several better than that to make it worse.

Labour, the prime suspects in Scotland notwithstanding unhelpful Tory ministerial interventions, are barely incapable of contributing anything positive. Expecting them to funnel it through Better Together when they don't have it in the first place is something not lost on the electorate I don't think, given how long they have been out of office for.

4. VoG

Soldato

The no campaign has been truly atrocious, if i was Scotish & on the fence, the no campaign would've pretty much made my mind up to vote yes, it's been almost a continuos stream of insultingly negative drivel, you're too poor to go it alone, you're too weak to go it alone, you're too small to go it alone etc.

I mean ide be sat there thinking well if we suck as much as you say we do, why the hell do you want us in the union then, after all aren't we just bleeding you dry & dragging you down?...

5. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

The thing is, most of the BT campaign proper isn't negative like that. They just get "help" from the likes of Lord Robertson and a few other politicians spouting their mouth off.

While I agree that the BT campaign needs to improve, they are in a very difficult position. They have to pick holes in the Yes case for independence (easy to do, but negative by nature) and also point out the benefits of the union. It is very very easy to take the positive "In the union, Scotland benefits from X" and spin it to the negative "with independence, Scotland will lose X." The media tend to report the latter.

6. Stretch

Capodecina

Bingo.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

The problem is that good stories win votes.

8. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Some friends were saying the 'No' camp will be saying the Sun will not shine and cows will stop giving milk next.

9. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Are these friends of yours advisors to the 'no' camp?

10. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

No, one is a lorry driver and the other is a teacher and as mentioned by VoG they are p****** off by the 'No' campaign. Both started off thinking it would be a bad idea but now one is a def. 'Yes' and the other a probable 'Yes'.
    The BT campaign has become counter productive as far this small sample goes.

11. JeditOjanen

Mobster

No, they haven't - at least, not anywhere I can hear. But if you don't find anything wrong with a political party collecting the names and addresses of people who will or will not vote for their pet cause, then you have no business commenting on politics. If it's not illegal, it should be.

12. Klo

Mobster

I think the 'No' campaign would be doing better if they just didn't say or do anything. It seems they are just making it worse for themselves.

13. FTM

Soldato

I am in Oban the week of the vote!
    I am also Ginger..I wonder how many times I will be asked how I am likely to vote by people before I open my mouth to reveal myself a sassenach!

I think people outside of scotland misjudge the level of mistrust for Alex Salmond..he really is disliked by a lot of scots..they may well want independance...but not with him in charge
    West of Scotland still feel let down and cut off by the parliament in Edinburgh

14. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

West of Scotland cut off you say? Would that be any more cut off than the much further parliament in London? Personally, I've spoken to quite a few people around here and it's been overwhelmingly in favour of the Yes vote.

15. FTM

Soldato

to be honest..if I was scottish, I would vote yes as well

I would be more than happy if Northumberland and durham were to join scotland

just move the border down to the tees.

the North East in general has only ever been shafted by central govt

16. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Nationalists all over the country have stories about the overwhelming support for independence where they live, but no poll has ever shown there to be even the smallest majority in favour (apart from that one outlier paid for by the SNP).

Not to say I think you're lying, Eddie, but I do suspect there's a great deal of conscious or unconscious self-selection in the people you talk to. If people know you're a Nationalist they're more likely to talk to you if they agree, and the people you know are more likely to be Nationalists for social reasons. Hence the saying that the plural of "anecdote" is not "statistic".

17. kitch9

Soldato

That was an enjoyable anecdote.

18. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Most of the peeps who have declared they will be voting Yes are the guys I work with who are from all over the area and surprisingly, some even support Rangers. The others are neighbours and relatives.

There are a few who have declared that they are undecided but have been interested in finding out more about the various arguments for and against.

It is worth noting that there are loads of folk in the country, who have gone from No to Undecided to Yes and not one has gone the other way (or the media would have been all over it).

19. Bear

Capodecina

20. Castiel

Capo Crimine

Lol.