1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Scottish independence vote

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Biohazard, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Scottish independence, yes or no?

1. I'm Scottish and in favour of independence

137 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm Scottish and against independence

167 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I'm from another part of UK and in favour of Scottish independence

273 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. I'm from another part of UK and against Scottish independence

682 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. the_r_sole

Mobster

the problem being that you are comparing scottish elections to general elections - clearly the votes are different because of the way the uk parliament is set up. If both those elections were for the same thing they might give some insight...

interested to see the studies which suggest scotland isn't more left than the rest of the uk (or england)

2. Neutralmilk

Gangster

Can you link to these studies? I don't think that is true at all.

3. The Dread Pirate

Capodecina

English here and I support Scottish independence not for political or patriotic reasons but mainly to see how badly it all goes!

4. Demetrius

Associate

I am in favour of a united world and not really interested on the borders on a map. Although I can understand that some Scottish people are unhappy similar to the some people in England are unhappy with the Europe Union.

The No campaign really frustrates me when all we can offer to stay together is fear and threats. When I was voting in favour of the AV as change towards a voting system which I thought was marginally closer to proportional representation the smear campaign was based on fear and people bought it. I talk of the No Campaign because living in the South of England I rarely hear anything about the Independence and no one is talking of the yes.

I do not imagine the any change to the system will magically make things easier for the Scottish.

I am saddened that there has not been a debate, when people give attention to parties such as UKIP who get public debates with the Deputy Prime minister?

5. Bear

Capodecina

There has been loads of debate, unfortunately it is all on Scottish TV. You also make it sound like the Scots are hard done by, they certainly aren't and in fact do better than most of the rest of the UK.

6. Demetrius

Associate

When I hear the debate only broadcast on Scottish television I am disappointed because I want there to be a connection between Westminster and the people they serve, wherever they live in the United Kingdom.

In the magically sense I was meaning to say I doubt the change will be in the Scottish best interest but I have only heard fear coming from the No Campaign.
    I do not wish to make comparisons to the rest of the UK I believe that these judgements blocks compassion, both for oneself and for others.

7. Turambar

Wise Guy

It's hard to have debates when one side refuses to participate.

8. Bear

Capodecina

I think it is important to make comparisons to the rest of the UK as Wales and NI do far worse and to ignore that shows a lack of compassion. Do you think the Barnett formula will stay as it is for Wales and NI if Scotland votes yes?

9. Weaver

Hitman

------

10. Shadez

Mobster

Yes it is hard to debate when the SNP refuse to debate the issues. All they say is XYZ will happen and its a "Fact" or we "Will" get everything we want in "Negotiation" and ignore any attempt to debate the issues.

11. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Why won't Cameron debate with Salmond? Dave is happy to debate with the non-entity that is Farage but won't deal with the very capable Eck. Feart?

12. dessimpson

Wise Guy

I don't blame him. I'd not want to talk with Salmond either.

13. Rosbif

Wise Guy

Well Cameron's Party is running against Farages Party in a national election. It's not Cameron's Party running against Salmonds Party in the matter of Scottish Independence.

Sure, Cameron may well be the main figure head of British Politics but he is PM of a Coalition Government.

The Better Together Campaign has cross-party support and has an appointed leader to represent all of the UK interests that are for the Union. Its only right that the debate should be between those respective parties.

Of course anyone who is for Scottish Independence is going to want Salmond going up against a leader who has practically zero representation and political Capital in Scotland. But, it wouldn't exactly be a proper arrangement and I think most sensible people can see that.

If anything, since the vote was instigated by the Scottish Government it should be a debate for the Parties of Scotland that sit in Holyrood to argue the cases for and against Scottish Independence.

14. Stretch

Capodecina

Unfortunately, Fararge is just as "capable" as Salmond. Maybe he should debate him? I'm sure he'd be happy to. It would be like watching a cat fight himself in the mirror.

If the SNP have questions for Dave, ask at PMQs.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  15. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Farage leads a national party.

Also, Salmond is not a capable debater, or even a competent one. Competent debaters have answers beyond "Och, they're just bluffing", and when you give them 20 years to research their argument they come up with one. Salmond had no good plan for a free Scotland in 1994 when I first met him at a debate, he has no good plan now.

16. kitch9

Soldato

What's Cameron got to do with it anyway? He's not heading the Together campaign.

17. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Better Together = Labour stooges funded by Tory money. Cameron is happy to snipe from the sidelines and then claim the independence debate is nothing to do with him. Happy to swan about Scotland (and even hilariously mispronounce where he is) and wax lyrical about voting 'no' but still insist on this being a purely Scottish debate.

If he wants to stick his oar in, he can at least have a chat with purveyors of the 'yes' campaign and show us that we are wrong, oh wait, he'd get his ass handed to him and he knows it.

18. Bear

Capodecina

You nats talk some BS. All you can come out with is some bitter and divisive sniping. The only reason you want Cameron to debate is to poison the well. What better to have a ****ging match with an English Tory toff to forward your cause.

It IS a Scottish debate as the rest of us have no say. Besides Rosbif has given you very good reasons why Cameron isn't the one to debate with but no doubt it isn't good enough for you.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  19. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

Oh wait, Blue Dave will come visit Scotland and harp on about how we are better off together every chance he gets, happy to speak to whomever will listen but will not engage with the Yes campaign. Cynical and cowardly.

20. Mark This Day

Hitman

Yes