1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Scottish independence vote

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Biohazard, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Scottish independence, yes or no?

1. I'm Scottish and in favour of independence

137 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm Scottish and against independence

167 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I'm from another part of UK and in favour of Scottish independence

273 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. I'm from another part of UK and against Scottish independence

682 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. ubersonic

Capodecina

Perhaps you would like to see Salmond debate with David Bowie and Alex Ferguson too? after all they have also expressed their support for Scotland remaining with the UK and are also not part of the no campaign. Or better yet how about Salmond fills an arena with random "no" supporters and debates with them lol.

Actually that last ones not a bad idea, too bad he is too busy flinging muck to have time to engage voters.

2. Author_25

Associate

You accuse the No Campaign of being funded by the Conservatives and thus in there control.
    Yet the Yes Campaign has received about 80% of it funding from one family, donating over £3.5 million.

3. Dis86

Capodecina

I don't think I've seen eddie directly respond to a single comment people have posted in reply to him...

Like Salmond he seems to move on to more rhetoric.

4. JeditOjanen

Mobster

So you think that Scots who want to leave the Union aren't mature enough to speak for themselves? Cameron is allowed an opinion, just as everyone is, but he shouldn't have an official voice because it is a purely Scottish debate.

Also, I've lived here 25 years and still can't pronounce some of the place names. Feel free to use a "no true Scotsman" argument here, it's a good match for the rest of your bitter spite.

5. the_r_sole

Mobster

it's obvious that cameron won't debate directly with salmond - too good an opportunity for the yes campaign to highlight the issues with the current political setup in the UK.
    imo, Cameron should be debating directly with Salmond - he is the elected political leader of the UK and the one person who should be able to make a positive case for the union with some hefty political backing. Having debates with politicians who have no control or power isn't really helping either campaign. The elected UK government should be able to successfully debate the issues and illustrate the positive case for the Union… Even Clegg could have a go, Lib Dems are better represented in Scotland, but if the elected leaders can't enter the debate for fear of highlighting one of the major issues with the current political setup, that is just as damaging (if not more damaging) than actually having a debate. Cameron and Clegg are both good politicians, surely they'd be able to wipe the floor with wee eck?

Alex Salmond would debate the issues with anyone that cares to have a go - he isn't however running the yes campaign, that would be Blair Jenkins, the yes scotland campaign is also a cross party organisation (and there are also other organisations supporting independence with different political party representation) there is no reason that Cameron shouldn't have a proper debate with Salmond, both have similar relationships with the respective campaigns.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  6. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

I am confused Jedi, Scots are perfectly mature enough to decide one way or the other which way they view Scottish independence. It's the unionists who are saying we are too stupid to run our own country.

As for Cameron mispronouncing Kirkcaldy, he was briefed of the proper vernacular but still goofed it as he was laying it on thick about his family being of Scottish descent. There are places I get mixed up over but I would be able to pronounce them properly if told how to moments earlier.

7. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Then why are you saying the pro-Union campaign in Scotland needs David Cameron to hold its hand?

8. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

It's not that I am saying it, after all, it is Cameron who has deemed it necessary to come up here and preach about unionism. Given that Lamont, Sarwar, Curran, Darling and Carmichael have made such a pig's ear of it, it's no surprise the Tory grandees are trying to patch things up.

Labour backed up by Tories, it just keeps getting better for the 'Yes' campaign.

9. Raumarik

Capodecina

I don't think anyone has told me "you're too stupid to run your own country" what I have heard is reality checks, general bitching and negativity from BT, nothing else tbh.

10. kitch9

Soldato

He argues like Salmond.

"I want you to give me something! "

"You can't have it.. "

"I can"

"Who said you can? "

"Me......."

11. rolypolyman

Mobster

Personally I don't care about Salmond or even the SNP. I care about my country, Scotland and being free to run it ourselves. I am almost 57yrs old and have lived my whole life here and had little or no say in how our country is run. Currently it is run by a coalition of parties who have little or no vote in this country, it is time for change, it is time we governed our own country. I hope and pray for a yes vote, not for Alex Salmond or the Snp but for independence for Scotland. :)

12. mark2410

Hitman

well my street is run by people i didnt vote for, how long must i suffer under this tyranny, waaaahhhhhh , its time we governed our own street. how dare people in other streets want others to run my street, my street must be free to set its own destiny!!!!!!

13. Raumarik

Capodecina

Rename it Freedom Street.

14. ubersonic

Capodecina

Your street is oppressing my terrace! we should be free to make decisions for ourselves without being ruled by your street!

15. mark2410

Hitman

to be renamed Frrrrreeeeeeeeeddddoooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!! street.

and by law mandatory to paint your face blue and only to speak in a very poor american/australian version of a highly stereotypical accent.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  16. mark2410

Hitman

we still plan to use your terrace for free parking. your roads and curbs are as much ours as they are yours. how dare you try to suggest we cant still use them for free and however we like!!!!!!!

you and your bullyboy tactics!!! im just sick of of your bullying and your negatitivity.

freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Do you really think you'll have any say in how the country is run if Scotland is independent? Because you won't. It'll still be run from the capital by and for a pack of ******s who don't give a damn about anyone outside the southeast of the country unless it's their wealthy friends. The only difference will be where the capital and the southeast are, and that you'll be getting knifed by your fellow Scots instead of by the English.

18. mark2410

Hitman

well of course he does. scottish people are all descended from the angels themselves, all honest, considerate and all desire the benefit of the whole of common humanity. well except the english of course.

are you possibly suggesting that scottish politicians might possibly be as self serving, corrupt and as much a bunch of bar stewards as all politicians, throughout history and in every corner of the globe have proven to be?

19. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

Except Glaswegians - an unholy cross between Buckfast and deep fried Mars Bars.

And Edinburghers - apparently some people around here have even voted Tory!

And Aberdonians - all those rumours about sheep and you know there's no smoke without fire.

The rest might be OK, though.

Clearly no Scottish politician has ever fiddled expenses, thought the trams were a good idea, felt that the Holyrood building deserved an unlimited budget, claimed food allowance from Westminster while it wasn't sitting, or has ended up with a no-confidence motion over claims that he misled parliament. No, that sort of thing could never involve a Scot.

20. eddiemcgarrigle

Mobster

I don't often respond to trolls but what the hell, it's feeding time.