1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Scottish independence vote

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Biohazard, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Scottish independence, yes or no?

1. I'm Scottish and in favour of independence

137 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm Scottish and against independence

167 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I'm from another part of UK and in favour of Scottish independence

273 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. I'm from another part of UK and against Scottish independence

682 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. Dis86

Suspended

I'm sorry, what? Was that the response?

Wow, the depth...the intellect. I can see now how one can be swayed by the words of a great speaker!

2. Raumarik

Capodecina

That'll show him Dis86, you sock it to him with that devastatingly intellectual replay. I'm sure he's cowering in the corner.

Perhaps not.

3. Dis86

Suspended

Sorry, I'm just stunned that was his response! I mean, it wasn't one really, was it?

4. Raumarik

Capodecina

This thread hasn't had a proper debate for a while tbh, why it's largely abandoned :D except by mud throwers!

5. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

The referendum campaign hasn't had a decent debate since it started!

ICAS are concerned over pensions, but "yes yes, it will all be fine here is our plan everyone else will agree to it"

Universities are concerned about research funding but "yes yes, it will all be fine here is our plan everyone else will agree to it"

Financial companies like Deutsche Bank, Citigroup and Blackrock are warning of capital flights and tough financial circumstance post-Yes but "yes yes, it will all be fine here is our plan everyone else will agree to it"

There is widespread concern over EU membership terms but "yes yes, it will all be fine here is our plan everyone else will agree to it" (or iScotland will illegally blockade our waters with a Navy we won't have).

You can't debate with a broken record (whose only desire for a real debate is so that they can make this a campaign against the Tories and confuse the real issues).

I've watched some of the so-called debates. Mostly it ends up with Yes (usually Nicola) shouting over her opponents, not answering the questions and ignoring the moderator.

I think the whole campaign is about to go quite - thanks to a single wealthy family Yes have had two or three times the funds that BT have had. In a week, the campaign limits kick in and the playing field is equal. Can't say I really like the idea that personal wealth can be used to influence the referendum outcome anyway (I would prefer state funding for referendum and election campaigns).

6. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Eddie's response was literally just "you're a troll". No attempt to contradict any of the assertions, no attempt to engage in debate - which is what you usually mean when you talk about feeding the trolls - just a straight up ad hominem. Derision is all he deserves.

7. Cooper

Mobster

That's because the whole principal behind the separation movement is really just about getting rid of the hated English.

Everything else will take care of itself once that overriding objective is achieved, that's why none of their plans stand up to any kind of serious scrutiny.

For 80yrs they've been a one trick pony..and it shows.

No matter, they're going to lose (and they know it)...it's all about positioning themselves for what comes after now, do they accept the result and stop this obsessive, constitutional navel gazing based on tribal identity from the 18th century and actually try and improve Scotland's lot within the union, or do they carry on believing 'one more push' will see them over the finish line...the ridiculous 'neverendum' scenario.

I know which one of those scenarios I think is more likely..:rolleyes:

8. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

And now Credit Agricole - another company with relevant knowledge/experience but no direct interest say (among other things):

9. kitch9

Soldato

You might have just confirmed my point.

10. Stretch

Capodecina

11. Bear

Capodecina

12. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

I never thought I'd be happy to see UKIP win a seat in Scotland, but I am. Hopefully this might encourage the SNP to look at the reality of Scottish feelings and not just what they want that reality to be.

According to Holyrood and Yes, Scotland is totally in love with Europe, very different to the eurosceptic south and so on and on.

Oh look, we aren't. Two eurosceptic MEPs and only two that are openly pro-Europe (Labour aren't sure what to think so are still sitting on the fence IMHO).

Also interesting to note that the pro-Yes parties netted little over a third of the vote and pro-union parties carried a massive majority.

Are we going to have outrage from the Western Isles over the "democratic deficit"? The results have been declared before their votes are even counted!

13. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

And now Salmond is being rather dismissive of UKIP. It's a Westminster problem we need to protect ourselves from, Scotland doesn't really align with them, nobody really supports them.

The Westminster parties on the telly last night took their humble pie with far more grace.

For Holyrood to dismiss a party that has won a seat representing our country does us a great disservice.

But then the SNP never did have the hang of international relations. Openly stating they want to offer Snowden asylum? Nuts IMHO. I'm curious though - how would that work with the European Arrest Warrant? If iScotland offered him asylum and then rUK (for example) issued a warrant then could iScotland do anything to stop it? We have already seen our domestic courts rule that EU states have no power to block a warrant regardless of what they think of the country that issued it.

14. Raumarik

Capodecina

Depends who UKIP took votes off in Scotland, I can see it playing well with the SNP if it's mostly Labour/Lib Dems losing out to what is, regardless of how you cut it a fairly marginal party in Scotland.

How does the UKIP vote in Scotland compare with the tories I wonder.

15. yonderblue

Gangster

The reality is the SNP won the vote in Euro Elections in Scotland with the total number of votes with 28.91% vote share (down only 0.07%) and UKIP came in 4th with 10.46% vote share.
    [​IMG]

But in the rest of the UK UKIP came in first with 27.50% of vote share.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  16. Cooper

Mobster

So..the attempt at the left wing and separatists in Scotland to sell the narrative that it is morally superior and operates in a different world to the evil English, and justification enough for splitting up the worlds most successful political union, isn't true?

Just have to put it down to being yet another of their baseless assertions being portrayed as fact.:rolleyes:

17. yonderblue

Gangster

18. Cooper

Mobster

That's not what the article says, it just says 'more likely'...that's not the same as 'will vote yes'.

And it also says 8% would 'more likely' vote 'No'.

..so it goes both ways.

19. Bear

Capodecina

Isnt it ironic that Scots would more likely vote yes to seperate from the union if the rest of the UK voted to leave another union and yet we are the filthy English for wanting to consider it, not that I would ever vote UKIP.

20. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

Hollow victory IMHO.

Their fight, such as it was, was the sixth seat against UKIP and Libs. They lost that fight.

Despite their unprecedented parliamentary majority and massively expensive campaigning, they couldn't gain any ground compared to 2009. They were left with a three point lead over labour.

The political right (Con + UKIP) took about as many votes as the SNP did. 27% of the Scottish vote is not something that can be dismissed (despite the assertions by Yes that Scots just don't think that way).

Over 60% of the vote went to unionist parties.

SNP came out on top, but they didn't do well. UKIP and Labour both lost, but both did well which perhaps has relevance to indyref and 2016 elections. For the SNP it was less than a third of the vote or, by Salmond's reckoning, support of less than 10% of Scots.