1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Scottish independence vote

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Biohazard, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Scottish independence, yes or no?

1. I'm Scottish and in favour of independence

137 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm Scottish and against independence

167 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I'm from another part of UK and in favour of Scottish independence

273 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. I'm from another part of UK and against Scottish independence

682 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

Yes.

That's presumably why (despite his desire for independence) he hasn't been wheeled out. It's rather sensible of Yes not to have done so. He's a nondom so he doesn't have to pay tax here. He can't vote and I think he can't even donate.

2. Stretch

Capodecina

* Abuse may include saying Scotland would be worse off leaving UK.

In other news, Salmond considers it ‘Meaningless’ to calculate cost of independence.

I'm quite sure it will have meaning when the bill hits our wage packets Alex.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  3. Woden

Soldato

Scottish husband, lives in Scotland, entitled to vote ... Shouldnt get involved? :confused:

4. JeditOjanen

Mobster

You've been subjected to abuse by nationalists and you're still undecided? I was decided before the referendum was even announced, but if I were on the fence that kind of behaviour from anyone would be enough to confirm me as an opponent of their campaign.

5. Quartz

Sgarrista

Yes, because a vocal minority do not speak for the majority.

6. Woden

Soldato

The abusive seperatists are the minority though. Certainly theres more of them than there are abusive unionists, but still a minority.

I've seen Star Wars though, I know what happens to seperatists.

7. xs2man

Mobster

[​IMG]

The separatists are a funny lot. I'm forever getting abuse on FB for not being a Yes man. And they are pretty quick to pounce on anything from the No camp and turn it into a "only for the rich" sort of thing, and decrying it all as lies, whether factual or not. While coming out with such utter nonsense to support their case, which in many cases, is not even based in reality, never mind fact.

Of course, I just turn around and call them on it, and have a giggle. They are always quick to reply with their ****, not so quick to reply when they are called on it though...

8. Castiel

Capo Crimine

She is involved, whether she likes it or not. She lives in Scotland and it is those that live in Scotland who will both decide and have to live with the decision. This isn't a decision just for Scottish people, but those that live in Scotland, no matter what their nationality or creed.

She absolutely should have gotten involved, in fact more people need to, they will have to live with the consequences afterall.

9. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Said vocal minority are in the First Minister's office, so they do indeed speak for the majority.

10. Shadez

Mobster

Remember to a yes supporter, telling them they wont get to use the pound and would have to renegotiate their way into the EU is considered a threat and abuse :D

11. katinacooker

Gangster

Oh really? Where?

Actually, John Swinney considers it meaningless

I personally would use the word 'Priceless'

To date, more people have been convicted of Abusing yes supporters than the other way around. In fact, there was another one today

http://www.heraldscotland.com/polit...ok-threat-to-yes-scotland-campaigner.24461959

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  12. Woden

Soldato

You can't use convictions as a standard for this type of thong. Just look at this very forum, no one here has been even been arrested, but people have been abusive.

The independence campaign so far has been overly optimistic plans backed up with little more than "yes we can". When a unionist points this out, the rebbutal is usually a personal attack.

But again, that is the vocal minority.

13. JeditOjanen

Mobster

Salmond's spin doctor Campbell Gunn smeared Claire Lally on the official stationery of the First Minister's office, and Salmond has refused to sack him for it. Salmond is also the man who started the whole "Unionists are traitors" thing when he said Scots who didn't want independence were greater enemies to Scotland than the English. So, the rot starts at the top.

14. Raumarik

Capodecina

To be fair I hate this "they did wrong must be sacked" mentality, that's a plus in my book as long as the person had been spoken to and apologised. Sacking people is an infantile political move.

15. RDM

Capodecina

The ministerial code has specific sanctions if a special advisor acts in an inappropriate way, those sanctions being getting sacked.

16. Werewolf

Commissario

Why shouldn't someone who has lived in Scotland for something like 20 years, is a current resident there, has family there, is raising their children there, pays tax there, and has a vote there not state their views and reasoning?

She's a lot more Scottish than many of the rich Scots who decide that paying less tax by moving abroad to a tax haven is more important to them than the country they say they love.

If someone should keep quiet about their perfectly reasonable political views in regards to an upcoming debate or election because they're going to get abuse, then that sadly says quite a lot about the people who want them to keep quiet.

From what I've read of her statement that she put out, she's been a lot more eloquent and it's a lot more substantive than many of the statements put out by people supporting the yes vote.

17. Tefal

Capo Crimine

:o

18. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

And, in fact, the First Minister's office stated that the material he sent out was clearly not appropriate. The mandatory sanction for circulating inappropriate material is dismissal by the FM.

So the same office later said that the material was not inappropriate.

We can conclude that the FM seems to think that it was clearly not appropriate but also not inappropriate. Yes, First Minister!

19. katinacooker

Gangster

In what way is pointing out that instead of being the 'normal mother' she claimed to be, she is actually on Scottish Labours shadow cabinet, and is pretty close to Scottish Labour a smear? Myself, i would be offended if someone said that about me, however i'm fairly sure this is something she wants to be.

He has apologised for the part he got wrong, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out when the other side is lying.

20. xs2man

Mobster

Wait a minute, is she not just an advisor rather than an actual cabinet member though? As in she is still a carer, and not an actual politician.

It's a little distasteful when such smears leave politicians IMO. Politicians can smear each other all they want, they are paid handsomely for the privilege, but that's not what she actually was. And didn't deserve what was said about her, by her own government no less.