1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Scottish independence vote

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Biohazard, Sep 23, 2013.

?

Scottish independence, yes or no?

1. I'm Scottish and in favour of independence

137 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. I'm Scottish and against independence

167 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. I'm from another part of UK and in favour of Scottish independence

273 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. I'm from another part of UK and against Scottish independence

682 vote(s)
    54.2%
  1. D.P.

Caporegime

Negative campaigning doesn't mean what you seem to think it mean. Just because the Yes campaign found it difficult to answer pertinent questions doesn't make the no campaign negative, merely rational analysis.

2. jabokai

Gangster

Oh man, I thought this thing was over... I need to go and hide under the covers for another few months. :(

3. JeditOjanen

Mobster

I'm glad you think so. Even if it was a Labour guy who devised it, the Tories still approved it and Chris Huhne tried to appropriate the credit.

As for the validity of the argument behind the shock tactics, it's non-existent. The sole costs of setting up an AV system over and above the costs of the existing election system were the referendum to determine whether we should have it and a few leaflets to remind people how it worked.

4. q974739

Hitman

It's a terrible argument. It fails on both moral grounds and practical grounds. Disgusting, unjustifiable and trivially defeatable. While I think the costs were going to be higher then the yes campaign claimed, they would never reach the 250-mill number.

That's not what I find interesting and shocking. Labour campaign against AV, writes claim that it will damage the NHS. Labour campaign against Coalition/conservatives, they claim they can't be trusted with the NHS.

My starting position is always that you accept evidence from all sides, until you have reason to disbelieve. Sanity check, fact check where time allows - but accept evidence from everyone. Because it's always possible that I'm wrong.

But here, we have a labour activist willing to just lie, in the worst possible way. When nothing much is really at stake.

Tempts me to strongly distrust every word they say on the NHS.

5. jas72

Capodecina

The SNP didn't refuse to answer they simply stated they couldn't answer as they didn't have the information from London to give an answer.

On Europe they couldn't answer since the EU didn't recognise the Scottish plarliament as a member state therefore only London could ask the question.

It's funny how the NO campaign asked questions only they knew the answers to but were keeping to themselves.

6. grumpysculler

Wise Guy

Because it would be totally impossible to make projections based on assumptions (be they reasonable or otherwise). Yet they did that for plenty of other policies and the fine detail of the asset split wouldn't make a huge impact. The basic principles had been outlined by Westminter.

Isn't it a shame that Scotland didn't at least try to ask for themselves.
    Oh, but they did: http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/parliamentarybusiness/CurrentCommittees/70496.aspx

Isn't it a shame that our elected representatives in the European Parliament aren't allowed to ask questions on the matter.
    Oh, but they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g1pyyLJskg

The only reason anyone kept parroting the "only London can ask" line is because they like to blame Westminster and don't like the answers that the EU gave.

7. Jokester

Don

Tell that to Gordon Brown then.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/jun/09/scottish-independence-referendum-gordon-brown

Or international news organisation Reuters.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/05/13/uk-scotland-independence-poll-idUKKBN0DT23L20140513

Or any host of people reporting on it.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comme...why-are-better-together-still-ahead-.24429907

8. V F

Capodecina

9. GAC

Mobster

10. Emlyn_Dewar

Capodecina

Tasty chip on your shoulder there.

It's a complete nothing story tbh. As it always is when it comes to the BBC and reporting on Scotland...
    Of course independence could be considered again, sooner than expected.
    If we were dragged out of Europe by an English majority, that'd be a pretty serious issue... It is clear that English parties don't want Scotland tacked on to them anyway.

11. StriderX

Capodecina

Wow, someone with vested interest has vested interest.

As such it is the "top story" on the BBC, hilarious.

12. dessimpson

Wise Guy

Why is that man even in the news?
    Didn't he quit when he lost?

13. mark2410

Hitman

and who is this "we" that you speak of?

the people of scotland were told that it was a once in a generation vote, independence or not and they said not.

what i get from this is that the SNP want to force their wants on everyone else who said no. quite why the snp and their supporters have such an issue with a very clear democratic choice made is deeply disturbing.

personally i say the areas that voted yes should be given the independence they want and they rest of us can stay as we are. that way everyone wins.

14. vandiesel

Gangster

This cretin has only ever wanted to be king, only difference is this media ho and the anti english hate that is embedded in alot of Jocks(a jock myself) could bring about the break up of the union. Enough blood was spilled in the making of this country, there is no need for anymore, especially when the blood being spilled constitutes the GRAVY TRAIN being moved 400 miles north.

15. Macro

Soldato

Pretty insulting really that the SNP assume that Scots must not have understood the word "generation" or question properly as they clearly got the answer wrong. We're going to find any excuse we can to ask the question again, continually, until you get the answer right so lets save everyone time and effort and just do as the Nats demand of you, there's a good electorate

Wee wreck needs to get his time as President and it's not going to happen if you keep getting the answer wrong when you're asked ffs...

Now, let's try again <insert thin excuse number 234 here>...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  16. Mr Jack

Capodecina

I'm sure there will be another independence vote; but it's insulting to the people of Scotland to hold another one for about another 20 years. You can't just keep asking the same question until you get the (irreversible) answer you want. That's not democracy.

17. Uther

Sgarrista

I have no doubt whatsoever that if the British EU vote was to leave, there would be another vote until the 'right' result was given... ;)

18. do_ron_ron

Sgarrista

Ex-Leader of Nationalists talks up referendum. Well, who would have thought it.

Non story, move along.

19. ThePirateHulk

Hitman

60% of Scots want another referendum within the next 10 years. We don't seem to be particularly insulted.

Scotland will hold another referendum if and when it feels it should. It'll be up to the people not the Westminster establishment or the reactionary right-wing media.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  20. Tefal

Capo Crimine

so that means that the UK should not put any services for the uk in Scotland and start bringing the existing institutions south of the border.