Seagate 750 gb HD later this year

Permabanned
Joined
27 Sep 2005
Posts
485
Location
North East Scotland
Click

And I thought I was doing well with a 250gb HD (along with a 120 gb and 2 x 80 gb drives) Cant be long before someone knocks out a 1 terabyte HD.

I guess this will help push down the prices of more reasonably sized drives though.

Wonder how much it will cost?

I wonder how far WD can push the Raptor technology capacity wise ... I was quite surprised when the 150 gb 16mb Raptor was released.
 
Soldato
Joined
9 Nov 2004
Posts
13,984
Location
Pembrokeshire
well there are already 1TB + external HDDs available, although your looking at a fair wad of cash for them.

good news that we're almost up to the magical 1TB of storage in a single drive for internal HDDs though... hopefully this will push the prices of smaller drives ( <=250GB) down a bit :)
 
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Joined
9 Nov 2004
Posts
2,140
nikebee said:
well there are already 1TB + external HDDs available, although your looking at a fair wad of cash for them.

good news that we're almost up to the magical 1TB of storage in a single drive for internal HDDs though... hopefully this will push the prices of smaller drives ( <=250GB) down a bit :)

The TB+ external drives are JBOD or RAID. That is its more than one drive.
 
Soldato
Joined
26 Jan 2004
Posts
6,277
Location
Scotland
nikebee said:
really?
didn't realise this, care to explain a bit further?

its basicly 2-3 drives in a external case chained together to give the impression that there is only 1 hdd when infact there raided externaly giveing over 1TB in space :p
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
24,560
Location
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
It all depends on how much space they can get on a platter, I think I read that Seagate manages 188Gb per platter so four platters make 750Gb

It also means that in theory they can make a 840Gb harddisk as there have been harddisks with five platters made.

OT: The 1Tb external harddiks have two 500Gb drives in RAID/JBOD, not a single 1Tb drive.
 
Man of Honour
Joined
11 Mar 2003
Posts
10,706
Location
Greenock, Scotland
Mr Bulbous said:
I wonder how far WD can push the Raptor technology capacity wise ... I was quite surprised when the 150 gb 16mb Raptor was released.

There's potential to go a lot bigger and a lot quicker. Most of the major manufacturers have 15Krpm SCSI disks up to 136Gb and 10K rpm to 300Gb.
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
24,560
Location
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
rpstewart said:
There's potential to go a lot bigger and a lot quicker. Most of the major manufacturers have 15Krpm SCSI disks up to 136Gb and 10K rpm to 300Gb.
Yes, but what is needed is a redesign altogether, the basic idea of a spinning disks and a head has been around since the beginning.

A transfer rate of 70Mb/sec is very slow compared to the bandwith of a videocards memory at >40Gb/sec
 
Soldato
Joined
5 Mar 2006
Posts
3,975
Location
Nottingham
Dutch Guy said:
Yes, but what is needed is a redesign altogether, the basic idea of a spinning disks and a head has been around since the beginning.

A transfer rate of 70Mb/sec is very slow compared to the bandwith of a videocards memory at >40Gb/sec

Especially when memory cards are getting smaller, with bigger capacity and cheaper, these days you can get a 1Gb SD card for >£25... I doubt it'll be too long before we start to see proper solid state HDD's
 
Associate
Joined
5 Jul 2005
Posts
1,734
Location
Edinburgh
The future will be usb stick style hard drives - no moving parts, no noise, but there is along way yet before even a usb stick the size of a hd can store 500gb on it
 
Associate
Joined
29 Nov 2005
Posts
433
Location
Milton Keynes
IMHO there are 2 weak links in the PC Chain - and they are both disk drives - The FDD and the HDD.

When these get transformed into next generation technologies, then PC's will really speed up!!
 
Soldato
Joined
18 Oct 2002
Posts
24,560
Location
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
Associate
Joined
22 Jun 2004
Posts
44
Location
Scotland
Looks like I've made a good investment then - just under £320 including delivery & VAT (and a 50cm S-ATA cable too).

It's frightening how quickly I've filled a 400GB drive with files from my cameras :eek:
 
Man of Honour
Joined
1 Oct 2002
Posts
5,594
Soul Rider said:
IMHO there are 2 weak links in the PC Chain - and they are both disk drives - The FDD and the HDD.

When these get transformed into next generation technologies, then PC's will really speed up!!


The floppy is pretty much dead, no system builders supply them anymore, and with the ability of modern systems to boot from usb sticks, theres no need for them.

I still remember 8" floppy disks, and systems supplied with two 5.25" drives if it was high spec. Those were the days:p
 
Back
Top Bottom