Seagate Expansion 4TB USB 3.0 Desktop Hard Drive for internal use

Associate
right I am thinking of buying a Seagate expansion 4tb usd 3 desktop hd from Argos cos i have an Argos card to buy it just wanted to know if the specs are any good on it for storage. I am going to open it up and use it as my internal storage drive for my games and files no windows on it it's going to replace my old 7-year-old Seagate 3tb witch is low on storage right now is it worth getting for that :)

Associate
You'll have a better experience using SSD for games.
You might find your old harddrive is faster for random writing. Seagate use SMR (google it) in their external drives. I'd only do what you're planning if you're writing a load of stuff to the drives once and not changing it.

Associate
Hey John11, you can find the data sheet for the 4TB Expansion Portable here. Also, just something you may want to keep in mind here, taking apart an external drive to plug in eternally is considered voiding warranty. Here is more info from our Knowledge Base.

With any hard drive, we always advocate 2 big rules:

1. Always back up your data
  2. Always use any drive for the purpose it was engineered for
Thank you for considering Seagate, regardless of which route you decide to go in the end!

Associate
Got a couple of these as secondary drives in my machines, one still as an external used for backup and 4 installed into a Synology ds413j (raid 5), and an unused spare sitting on the shelf.

Most have been in use 4+ years with no problems, main use is data storage.

Associate
Probably slower, but not slow enough too cause me any problems, raid is used for primary backup and video feed to TV, files stored on drives are video, music or picture.

All important files are also backed up to optical disks (BD-R) and stored off site. (scans of photographs and negatives some of which are very old)

Associate
OP
they are not slower by the specs on the Seagate 4tb external drive spins at 5900rpm same as the internal barracuda 4tb drive

Back
Top Bottom