Seagate LP 5900rpm HDD's - Opinions?

Soldato
Thinking of ordering one of these in the 2Tb flavour to store my movies/music and stream them across the network.

I know these are energy efficient drives with low heat and sound output but how good are they?

Seagate is the only producer offering 5900rpm drives - is that a concern as its considered as non-standard or a good compromise?

Are these good enough for media storage where the files will be accessed a lot?

Associate
I always go for WD or Samsung....seagate gave me too much problem to stick with them. You can go for Hitachi 2TB 7200 RPM though...

Soldato
OP
How you finding it?

Haven't installed it yet. Received it today.

I'm waiting for my new Lian Li case to arrive from OCuk as im moving my existing set-up from my Akasa Eclipse as i've ran out of HDD space and needed something with more storage capacity. The Lian Li has 11 HDD bays so will do for life :D

I have had a 1.5Tb Seagate drive now for over a year and not had any problems with it so chose Seagate again.

Will post back how i get on.

Soldato
OP
Installed it today and its been running for a few hours now.
Thoughts so far:

- Very very quiet. I thought my 1.5Tb Seagate was quiet but this is just not audible above system noise.

- Runs very cool. Currently at 31*C. Thats with 2x 140mm front case fans running at 600rpm blowing air over the HD cage in my Lian Li case.

I wanted a large but quiet HDD and I believe this HDD delivers. I had bought some bungee cord a week ago in preparation for this new HDD to suspend it in my case but ive changed my mind as its not even loud.

The case does a very good job of sound/vibration isolation!

PS. One thing I should point out is that these drives are not ubber fast. It is slower than my 1.5Tb Seagate 7200rpm when extracting and moving very large files. But im happy with that for the reasons i've stated above (i.e. it being used as a 2ndry drive used to store items)

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds interesting...maybe I will wait for my Antec 1200 case to come, then I will buy one of these LP drive to check...

Back
Top Bottom