Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Stu

Stu

Soldato
See this is odd, everyone I know has such different experiances on harddrives. Personally I've had hitatchi, WD, and toshiba all fail on me 100%, but Seagate I've never lost one. But I know other people who have lost all their Seagates and swear by WD.
I guess its just RNG trolling us!

As you say, experience of HDDs varies greatly. I had a few Hitachi Deathstars that lasted for years (in fact one of them still works, but is no longer in active duty).

The Backblaze report slammed Seagate, but it looks to me that the high average failure rate figure presented is propped up by poorly performing Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB consumer desktop drives that were being used in a data centre :eek:
However, that report also stomps on WD Red 3TB drives specifically, which are generally well respected and I would propose are the most popular drive currently being bought for home NAS and microservers (I have 2 of them).

Last edited:
Soldato
And all 3 Seagate drives I have owned in last 6 years have failed (2Tb External, forget the 1st, this 8Tb)... and I own 4 "working today" 8Tb drives... I am getting worried! :(

not good at all, to be honest mine is not used very often, I stick stuff on it and then it sits to one side or I connect it to my TV USB port to watch some films from it :)

Associate
I run 3x 4TB Seagate NAS drives in a raid 5 setup. Been running since the 4Tb came out. Pretty much none stop. Planning to get more soon, or maybe these Archive drives as the 5TB is the same price as the 4TB NAS version. . . I also look after some other setups that use WD and Toshiba drives. The Toshiba just keep going and going, nearly 3 years on an array of 2TB drives, no faults. The WD's though. . . . I used to like them. But I wouldn't buy WD for home use now. I look after 4 NAS boxes each running 4x 3TB WD Red's and had to RMA 2 drives this year. Did 1 last year. 3 drives in 16 so far. Boxes are 20 months old.

Maybe just bad luck. But I like the Seagates. Price/performance/reliability :)

Soldato
FYI, Seagate continues it's great rep for HDDs. One of mine failed within 33 days of use... Luckily no important data on it or data I don't have elsewhere but still... Great quality!!! :(

And all 3 Seagate drives I have owned in last 6 years have failed (2Tb External, forget the 1st, this 8Tb)... and I own 4 "working today" 8Tb drives... I am getting worried! :(

So what you're trying to say is you don't consider their failure rate to be a real issue and you'd encourage others to follow your example and buy seagate, the brand you trust.

Mmm?

Soldato
Wow...it's like kicking a hornets nest in here...

No posts for almost two weeks, I post asking when they will be back in stock...no-one replies to that but there are another ten posts just continuously arguing about reliability...

:eek::D

Anyone had one of these archive drives die yet out of curiosity?

Soldato
Wow...it's like kicking a hornets nest in here...

No posts for almost two weeks, I post asking when they will be back in stock...no-one replies to that but there are another ten posts just continuously arguing about reliability...

:eek::D

Anyone had one of these archive drives die yet out of curiosity?

Clearly you struggle to actual READ the posts.. I mean we are not arguing, just pointing out we have different experiences.

As to your question.. Well, try looking above! :rolleyes:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
FYI, Seagate continues it's great rep for HDDs. One of mine failed within 33 days of use... Luckily no important data on it or data I don't have elsewhere but still... Great quality!!! :(

Was that a Seagate Archive 8TB drive?

Confused... all three that you have owned in the last 6 years have failed, but you have 4 working ones? Does that not mean you have owned 7 Seagate drives in the last 6 years?

Soldato
Was that a Seagate Archive 8TB drive?

Confused... all three that you have owned in the last 6 years have failed, but you have 4 working ones? Does that not mean you have owned 7 Seagate drives in the last 6 years?

The ONLY 8Tb Seagate drives are AFAIK Archive drives

I had 3 Seagates before... all failed.. I bought 5 of the 8TBs now and one has failed in 33 days. That clearer I hope! :)

Associate
Ordered one of these the other day from a competitor. Sadly it was packed like the following;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhlacap2mqf8q3t/Photo 30-04-2015 9 55 40 am.jpg

So am concerned about it, it seems to be working at the moment but i think it disconnected in the night. You would think a well known retailer would know how to package hard drives...

S.M.A.R.T.

No. Attribute Threshold Value Worst Data Status Flags
1 Raw Read Error Rate 6 119 100 203338416
OK Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
3 Spin Up Time 0 99 99 0
OK (Always passing) Statistical, Critical
4 Start/Stop Count 20 100 100 1
OK Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
5 Reallocated Sectors Count 10 100 100 0
OK Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical, Critical
7 Seek Error Rate 30 66 60 4211444
OK Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical, Critical
9 Power On Time Count 0 100 100 26
OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Statistical
10 Spin Retry Count 97 100 100 0
OK Event Count, Statistical, Critical
12 Drive Power Cycle Count 20 100 100 1
183 SATA Downshift Count 0 100 100 0
184 End-to-End Error Count 99 100 100 0
187 Reported Uncorrectable Errors 0 100 100 0
188 Command Timeout 0 100 100 0
189 High Fly Writes 0 100 100 0
OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-Rate, Statistical
190 Airflow Temperature 45 71 68 29
OK Self Preserving, Statistical
191 G-Sense Error Rate 0 100 100 0
192 Power off Retract Cycle Count 0 100 100 0
193 Load/Unload Cycle Count 0 100 100 11
194 Disk Temperature 0 29 40 15; 29
OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Statistical
195 Hardware ECC Recovered 0 119 100 203338416
OK (Always passing) Event Count, Error-Rate, Statistical
197 Current Pending Sector Count 0 100 100 0
OK (Always passing) Event Count, Statistical
198 Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count 0 100 100 0
OK (Always passing) Event Count
199 Ultra ATA CRC Error Count 0 200 200 0
OK (Always passing) Self Preserving, Event Count, Error-Rate, Performance, Statistical
240 Head Flying Hours 0 100 253 25
OK (Always passing)
241 Total LBA Written 0 100 253 2079429666
OK (Always passing)
242 Total LBA Read 0 100 253 113836438
OK (Always passing)

Conserned about how many raw read error's it has already got and ecc corrected. Do you think its anything to worry about? Sould i get them to replace it?

Thanks.

Soldato
** Don't then **

I think there are some errors that you will get MANY of with this drive but the author of HD Sentinel told me not to worry about them... But mine had weak sector errors so has been returned for replacement.

Associate
Yeh, even with just the first letter its quite obvious who it is. But still i normally buy hard drives from overclockers, but it was a good deal. However i think i will most likely buy from overclockers again in the future because at least with them i get more bubble wrap than i know what to do with.
To allow the hard drive box to smash around inside that big box must have been packed by someone who knows nothing about computers.

Soldato
I bought 5 and they were packed like that.... And when i wanted to return the faulty one.. well, the service was awful and they replied to each email after 2-3 days... They wanted me to go to Seagate but you can return HDD to seller... its their LEGAL responsibility.

I won't be buying with them again! Whoever it was I bought from ;)

Soldato
The rainforest pack their HD's very poorly from my experience.

Ocuk have the best packaging imo, worth paying the premium for me at least.

Back
Top Bottom