1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by oxygene, Dec 12, 2014.

1. SplitCoreGaming

Associate

No official data apart from what ive found based on early adopters usage. They say they are fine for 24/7, as long as you do large writes/reads, as they seem to be slower than normal hdd's based on random seek/write times. A few have commented that the speed seems to be reduced greatly in hot environments. Again nothing backed up with evidence so take lightly.

People report around a good 150 write speed. I am hoping to Raid 0 two up as a recording drive for 21:9 game captures at 60fps with 5.1 sound for editing later. If I find any real statistics I will link them over as I am still debating if they will truly suit my needs, or if I should invest in smaller, but proven faster drives for raid.

2. LordBarrass

Gangster

I have had 1 8TB drive turn up and get booked in stock. So if you want it move quickly. The next ones will be around 3 - 4 weeks.

3. SplitCoreGaming

Associate

Wow 3-4 Weeks!? What is going on with these? I just dived on it and willing to pay extra to acquire it earlier. I also realised the craziness of my 2x 8TB Raid 0 for recording. So instead grabbed me 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB with the Seagate Archive Nearline 8.0TB being what it was designed to be, archiving.

In all honesty once I do some testing and benchmarks I might be tempted to purchase a few more. Will upload data here to help others once it arrives.
    I love diving into the deep end with new, unproven technology. The fun and games that might accrue :(

4. jak731

Soldato

One batch or one drive? Rarer than hens teeth. I think this is the cheapest cost per tb drive on ocuk.

5. easyrider

Caporegime

Are theses rated for 24/7 use ?

6. Lord Alibaski

Wise Guy

This is whats stated from the date sheet so looking at it then maybe but with less performance.

[​IMG]

Taken from here

7. mrbazmondo

Hitman

The only problem is that you have to buy at least 2 and RAID them, otherwise how much data are you going to lose if it dies?

8. kona786

Capodecina

I guess ~8TB...am i right??

9. Methanoid

Mobster

If we are gonna be smart arses here I might as well point out the answer is UP to 8TB, and to be completely correct it is UP to 7.2TB :p

10. kona786

Capodecina

7.27TB :p

In other news, my 8TB is now has 1TB free. Backup complete.

11. mw8t

Gangster

This has always been the case :confused:

12. Amp34

Caporegime

Or you use them for what they are designed for - as an archive HDD to use in case your primary drive(s) go pop!:p

13. Trifid

Sgarrista

I personally would just use them as individual drives and not RAID them for home use. Use a program to sink across weekly/monthly.

14. hernaldo

Hitman

True, that way of thinking always makes me laugh out of shame in the human race.

15. Stu

Wise Guy

Why does this question come up all the time, and why do people assume to know what the plans of others are? I'm getting one of these to use as a backup drive in my microserver, and don't feel the need for a second drive to backup my backup (let's ignore the fact that RAID1 is not a backup solution).

16. Stu

Wise Guy

Nice review at Storage Review, which also highlights that these drives are NOT suitable for RAID redundancy setups, including RAID1.

17. Raggy

Gangster

Thanks for that link, and a lot of food for thought.

18. hernaldo

Hitman

Crikey....if that lots true, this is going to to nuclear.

I can't imagine many people NOT buying these for a RAID/NAS/ZFS setup!

If those test results turn out to be correct, I'll be returning mine as not fit for purpose and suing the retailer in small claims if I get any bs.

If true, how utterly disappointing.

57 hours for a straight RAID1 2 drive rebuild!!!!!? :confused:
    I think they've made a collection of mistakes or got a bad drive personally.

EDIT - Actually reading their forum discussing this, sounds like they know what they're talking about...

Oh dear.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  19. mw8t

Gangster

These are perfect for me, I will be buying 2. 1 will go in my NAS, the other as an offline backup. I don't use raid or a fancy filesystem, just standalone drives and Windows share.

Storing 1:1 Blu-ray rips

20. SplitCoreGaming

Associate

As promised here are my benchmarks using HD Tune Pro

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqn5f9a5n8gaqoo/09-March-2015_00-08.png?dl=0

&

https://www.dropbox.com/s/np56b4l9k6v32bv/09-March-2015_00-12.png?dl=0

Speed wise they ain't that bad, though they do seem to spike as I just filled the full 8tb moving around my other drives to re partition them. Sometimes it just bottoms during transfer almost making it look like the transfer crashed.

I got another one arriving tomorrow from another supplier to remove a older 2tb so will be interesting to compare the two if they have the same issues.