Seasonic launches its first Connect 750W power supply

Soldato
I'm not certain if thats a good idea or not. That 'power bar' if I can call it that looks too thick to be tucked away in the space between the back of where the motherboard is screwed to & the right hand side panel. OK there's PSU shrouds in most cases these days, but I think its going to be too awkward a shape for it to be fitted inside most of the smaller cases that have those.

Soldato
Someone's got a lot of time on their hands at Seasonic...it looks like a massively over-engineered solution to a minor aesthetic 'problem' that already has decent solutions with braided cables etc. There's no way it would fit round the back of my Corsair Obsidian, there's a HDD and 2 SSD's tucked out the way back there.

Bet it's not cheap either.

Soldato
Thought there must be some new ones coming. Still happy I bought the 750W Titanium at £135, even though it's EOL a 12 year warranty will keep me going for a while ;)

Soldato
It's good to see that companies like Seasonic are still trying to innovate, but I suspect this will fit a fairly niche role without ever gaining mainstream appeal. When you buy a higher end Seasonic you're also getting a 10-12 year warranty, it's the type of thing you would keep over multiple builds potentially, and a PSU such as the Connect is going to be a limiting factor for case choice as well as some other things.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just don't see the point in this. All it does is shift the modular cables to that huge power bar and if anything it will make cable management harder not easier. I reckon that these will be a massive flop.

I thought it looked very restrictive in how and where it could be deployed. Full marks for trying to be innovative but I'm not sure it will be successful.

Soldato
OCD appeal only I think, icable routing is no less of a faff than the standard method. It was tight back there when I did my new build, took some time and some jiggling to it all sqaured away and for the panel to close properly. But, you do it one asnd you leave it alone for years. It doesn't serve any practical purpose, but has some limited aesthetic appeal, even though you're not going to able to appreciate it, even through a tempered panel, as it's not the side you're going to see even if your're a 'case on desk guy'. It's also adding another possible component that could fail.

There is only so much you can do with a PSU, first they made them fully modular, then they improved heat and noise, introduced hyprid modes, they made them uber efficient and reliable. PSU's have come a long way, and Seasonic are without the leader in PSU's. But this this smacks of 'we're running out of ideas'.

Linus was struggling to justify it and he was paid to do so.

Best in class with a 12 year warranty you don't need any more reason to buy Seasonic than that.

Soldato
I think it will simplify things for Seasonic. Rather than a medley of PSUs they can have one PSU and then a variety of distro plates and a variety of cables for cases of differnt sizes. In particular this will make PSU testing much easier as there will only be one output to test.

Soldato
I wrote to Seasonic about this and this is the reply I've just received

The DC cable between the PSU and the CONNECT is not planned to be modular as it's mandatory to use it and it's not the same pinouts as usual ATX 24 pins. PSU is specific to CONNECT and so is this cable. But as you may have seen, between CONNECT and components, it's fully modular. While we cannot say that it will never be changed, for now, it's not planned as far as we can say.

Back
Top Bottom