Seat Leon estate (I bought an Octavia VRS 230)

Soldato
Hi all,

Looking to get rid of our Ford grand cmax, been looking at lots of cars, finally settled on a Seat Leon estate, looking at the 1.8 FR technology petrol 2017 with no more than 20k miles.

Anything to look out for on these?

Soldato
Commenting to follow. I am interested in a Leon Cupra estate near me so might benefit from some of the tips you get OP.

Soldato
Is the average mileage 12k per year? If so I suppose 20k miles is a bit low. I'm looking at a 16 plate with 46k miles which I think is about right.

Soldato
OP
Commenting to follow. I am interested in a Leon Cupra estate near me so might benefit from some of the tips you get OP.

There's a cupra estate just down the road from me......no Rodders, no!

Whats wrong with 25k miles? Especially if you're looking at a 2017.

Nothing, just looking for a car under 20k miles, that's what I decide. If I go 25k, why not 30k etc... Quite a few of these with under 20k for reasonable money. I don't mind 2018, just want to keep around £13/14k

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Condition over mileage every time!
Would you rather a car that's pootled to the shops and back with stop-start traffic and not warming up properly, or a car that's sat on the motorway in 6th gear for thousands of miles?

Soldato
OP
Condition over mileage every time!
Would you rather a car that's pootled to the shops and back with stop-start traffic and not warming up properly, or a car that's sat on the motorway in 6th gear for thousands of miles?

Something in the middle lol

Associate
1.8 is a dry clutch DSG if you are looking at automatic, which doesn't officially have a service interval but generally considered less reliable than the wet clutch boxes.

Water pump and thermostat housing is a common issue on EA888 Gen 3 engines. Apart from that though they are good cars and generally reliable.

Associate
All's I can say, I have the 2017 diesel variant is the level of kit is impressive.
Assume the petrol needs the cambelt and water pump replaced every 5 years, else budget £500 into it.

Soldato
OP
1.8 is a dry clutch DSG if you are looking at automatic, which doesn't officially have a service interval but generally considered less reliable than the wet clutch boxes.

Water pump and thermostat housing is a common issue on EA888 Gen 3 engines. Apart from that though they are good cars and generally reliable.

I'd like the DSG, I am tempted by that. What can be done to make it less unreliable if there's no service schedule? A little off putting...

There's a plus, right there then :D

Yeah, my current car has a wet cam belt, a pain to change and talking to an ex ford mechanic, there's risk of fuel injector issues after.

Associate
I'd like the DSG, I am tempted by that. What can be done to make it less unreliable if there's no service schedule? A little off putting...

To be honest I don't think they are particularly unreliable, just seems to be a more common occurrence that they have issues Vs the wet clutch alternatives. I'm sure plenty have them and never have an issue. Pot luck. I'd still take my luck with one as manuals just feel archaic now, especially when modern automatic (or semi automatic if pedantic) gearboxes are so good.

Simplest option would be to get a decent warranty, if you buy approved used you should get either a year or two years. The VW group brands have also just released a warranty, servicing, MOT all in one package which shouldn't be expensive. I'm sure there was a thread on here recently about it.

Alternatively, the Seat insured warranty comes in under £30 per month or £292 per year, with a £100 excess on an 18 plate FR DSG example with 37k on it. For £6-7 a week I'd happily take it and make any issues with the car someone else's problem.

https://www.insurewithseat.co.uk/extended-warranty#get-cover-now

Soldato
OP
Pot luck and cars with me....sure it'll be ok....

There's a DSG one in Sussex, not too far from me, might try and go and see it at the weekend.

Associate
I'm also looking at one of these, prices seem quite up and down but then most cars seem to be that way at the moment.
I thought all DSG 7 speeds were the wet clutch variant though, but i'm probably wrong on that!

Soldato
I thought all DSG 7 speeds were the wet clutch variant though, but i'm probably wrong on that!

For a while, with a few exceptions in particular types of cars/vans, the vast majority of 7 speed DSG boxes were the dry clutch variant (to date, I think the DQ200 is the only dry clutch DSG variant VW offer). Most other stuff had the wet clutch DQ250 6 speed. The DQ250 has now generally been replaced with the wet clutch DQ381 7 speed (first introduced here around 2016/17 depending on car).

As a general rule, you'll find the dry clutch type on low torque cars - 1.0, 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 etc. - generally anything with a torque output of 250Nm or lower. 2.0 stuff upwards will be fitted with wet clutch boxes with higher torque limits.

Back
Top Bottom