Seat Leon Timing Belt

Associate
Hello out there,

Just wondering if someone could help clear something up for me. I have phoned a garage, to ask for a service on my 55 plate Leon tdi sport, and they have told me because it is 4 years old that i should get my timing belt changed as well. Now i have only done 23k so is it worth getting this done as on another forum i have read a few posts that say the timing belt lasts about 70k.

They have quoted me £300 for the timing belt alone, as you can probably imagine it is a high cost to pay as well as the service on top of that. Obviosuly not as high cost as a new engine but would a timing belt really go after 23k??

Any help/info is much appreciated

Soldato
read the service schedule

it will tell you if the timing belt needs to be changed after xxx miles or xxx years

if it doesnt meet that then, provided its in good condition, you wont have to change it

Soldato
As Matt said, RTFM ;)

Belts dont just deteriorate with usage, they will deteriorate with time, which is why most service items have a "x years or y miles, whichever comes soonest" approach.

You hit the nail on the head by saying its cheaper than a new engine and will presumably last another 3~4 years. It will also affect the resale value of your car if the belt hasnt been changed when it should

Soldato
It used to be 60,000 or 6 years (that's what is says in my manual) and now apparently is 40,000 or 4 years.

I split the difference and did 50,000 and 5 years :D

Soldato
[SKR]Phoenix;14994831 said:
40,000 or 4 years, which ever is sooner.

I had mine done (Cupra) at the main dealer for £320.

My local Seat Dealer wanted nearly double that. (SMC Windsor)

Associate
For a low-mileage, desirable (to non-"petrolheads" I suppose) car it'd be worth your while to keep the service history bang up to date. The sort of people that will pay over the odds for a low mileage car will also pay extra or require the good service history.

Last edited:
Soldato
VAG appear to have revised the timing belt interval on all TDI engines. I got a nasty shock when I phoned up for a 4 year service on the vRS, and they told me I needed it changing. It's only done 21k.

I had a bit of a spat with Skoda Customer Care but they stuck to their guns. It's got me rather annoyed as in the current financial climate most people can't find £550 down the back of the sofa for a service. I've got to admit I've been a bad lad and not had either done yet, heading for 18 months since the last service. Then again it's only done 3.5k in the last 12 months...

Back
Top Bottom