Second build help please.

Associate
Evening all.

Switched to and built my first gaming PC about 18 months ago, so I’d still consider myself a noob when it comes to this stuff. So I’d appreciate any help I can get.

Current is built around the 3700x and a 2080 super.

No problems with it at all, and I’ve loved every second of it, however a friend wants to buy it so it’s got me considering building a new one.

Haven’t kept up to date with the new hardware since building this so I’m a little overwhelmed by all the recent releases.

My budget is pretty flexible (between £1500-£2000, maybe a bit more if it’s worth the performance jump) but I’m unsure whether I should be aiming for 1440p or 4K with that kinda budget.

I play mostly FPS games but do occasionally play games like Conan exiles, ark and stuff like that, and I use a 1440p 144hz monitor. Because I play a lot of FPS I’d like to keep the fps as high as possible which is why I was thinking of sticking with 1440p, but with the new hardware, I’m unsure if 4K is now a more realistic option?

What do you think would be the best build for that sort of budget? Monitor can be upgraded if 4K is an option and peripherals and case already sorted.

Thanks for any help.

Associate
I'm looking as well, for 2k toi can easily get a 4k system, also on a good high end card with in budget you could squeeze to 8k at a little bit of a push.

I'm looking at either i9 or raz9
Asus rog board.
32 ram.
Geforce vr ready card around 12gb ram.

Associate
The 3700X is still a very decent CPU... and the 2070 super isn’t a bad card either.

Maybe move to a 5900X once prices stabilise, but hold off on the GPU for 3-6 months and grab a 3080 Super or Ti (whatever they end up calling it).

Similarly I’d stay with 1440p for now. It’s a matter of taste but like you I prefer high FPS. A top card will manage 4K for now, but in future you’ll have to compromise IQ or FPS. Maybe next gen...

Sorry to write a bit of a downer post.

Last edited:
Soldato
With the state of the graphics card market I wouldn't bother at the moment, to get a card better than yours you'd either have to wait months or pay a scalper which obviously isn't worth it.

At 1440p you wouldn't gain much from a new cpu maybe 10fps unless you downgraded to 1080p but a higher hz monitor maybe 240hz then it'd be worth a new cpu but obviously higher hz monitor equals more cost.

Your current build is more than fine and I get the feeling selling it to a friend is only going to cause you to go without a graphics card for a while...

Soldato
I would stick to 1440p as even the top cards are not hitting 60fps in some of the new games with RT on at 4K,

All you would need to upgrade your system is a RTX 3080/6800XT and to a lesser extent a 5800X so maybe go down that route and help your friend put together a new system of his own.

Associate
OP
With the state of the graphics card market I wouldn't bother at the moment, to get a card better than yours you'd either have to wait months or pay a scalper which obviously isn't worth it.

At 1440p you wouldn't gain much from a new cpu maybe 10fps unless you downgraded to 1080p but a higher hz monitor maybe 240hz then it'd be worth a new cpu but obviously higher hz monitor equals more cost.

Your current build is more than fine and I get the feeling selling it to a friend is only going to cause you to go without a graphics card for a while...

Sorry I probably should have mentioned that I won’t be selling until I can get my hands on the new cards, he knows this and is willing to wait. Doesn’t really have much of a choice considering the older cards are like gold dust as well.

Performance wise I’ve got no complaints with the system I have, but I really enjoyed actually building and setting up my first PC, so it’s more just me wanting to build a new one rather than needing to. And if I’m doing that I’d like to get the best performance possible for my budget.

Associate
OP
I would stick to 1440p as even the top cards are not hitting 60fps in some of the new games with RT on at 4K,

All you would need to upgrade your system is a RTX 3080/6800XT and to a lesser extent a 5800X so maybe go down that route and help your friend put together a new system of his own.

This is what I was wondering. Think I’d rather stick to 1440p if high fps on 4K is still difficult for most games. Thanks.

Soldato
In that case if you really have the itch to build a computer, going with 5800x, 6800xt, low cas latency 3600mhz ram (dual rank if possible) would net you a nice performance increase of around 50-60%

Associate
OP
In that case if you really have the itch to build a computer, going with 5800x, 6800xt, low cas latency 3600mhz ram (dual rank if possible) would net you a nice performance increase of around 50-60%

Wow, wasn’t expecting that much of a performance boost tbh. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Soldato
Wow, wasn’t expecting that much of a performance boost tbh. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Yeah, the new stuff really did knock it out of the park performance wise in my opinion. For reference i'm using a 5800x and a 6800 (non xt) with some really low latency 3600mhz dual rank setup and i get a comfortable 200+fps on the new call out duty at 1080p all maxed out expect for ray tracing.

Back
Top Bottom