Second hand, 'fun', more space?

Soldato
Hi folks. I /was/ a true car enthusiast until the move to London saw me essentially focus on other priorities, have no space, and lack of time. I'm now more in the 'burbs and with a first child, need a bit more space, and want to rekindle my love of just going for a drive. My 2017 XE 250ps is 'fun' but silly things I could fix on my XF keep annoying me, like I didn't opt for the £50 folding rear seats............. this makes silly things like BROOMS of all things, impossible to go into the luggage area. First world problems, I know.

I have since had a seat in my gaffers M3 CSL and miss that raw feeling of fun. However with the little one I suppose I can't go too silly.

What would people see as a reasonable car around the £30k mark? I have seen some tidy RS4's, Jag XF v6's - I don't want something too bonkers but definitely not your everyday car either. I'm finally approaching "FREEDOM" from a monthly car payment - some 9 years on from first opting for leasing, so the move would need to be meaingful enough to add a few more years to my 9 year journey of car payment freedom...!

Any advise?

Associate
How many seats do you need op? Not a lot of info in the OP regarding what your really looking for in a car. Assuming 5 seats a few suggestions:

RS3
C63 S
C63 W204
M4 / M3 F8X
M3 E92
GTR (Early cars just in budget)

Soldato
Kia Stinger? In budget, decent space, decently powerful and with your budget you will still get x years of warranty. May not have the badge prestige but it certainly looks the part. I don't think it has sold particularly well, not due to the car but due to it being a Kia so you may be able to get a very good deal.

Soldato
OP
How many seats do you need op? Not a lot of info in the OP regarding what your really looking for in a car. Assuming 5 seats a few suggestions:

RS3
C63 S
C63 W204
M4 / M3 F8X
M3 E92
GTR (Early cars just in budget)
4 or 5 - w.r.t to the level of info, I know - this is my first second hand car - I feel overwhelmed with the options in this category! A bit of a shopping list to explore is useful, thank you. GTR possibly verging into the "more bonkers" territory and may be solving problems I don't have. Interesting how the E43 is similar pricing to the C43, that could be a winner?

Kia Stinger? In budget, decent space, decently powerful and with your budget you will still get x years of warranty. May not have the badge prestige but it certainly looks the part. I don't think it has sold particularly well, not due to the car but due to it being a Kia so you may be able to get a very good deal.
Resale is an odd one to pitch on this, isn't it? Will it hold because its unique or will it plummet and take a decade to climb again? It's like /not/ buying Bose headphones... you are stuck with them for a while as the resale of the consumer-level competitors is pretty poor.

BMW M3. 4 Door obviously as with a child.
Not really in love with the M3 for some reason. A quick look on AT and there are a few but 5 years old versus the Mercedes at 3 in some cases.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Is a cheap second car viable?
My personal view is that pretty much anything capable of carrying a family will have its “fun” factor massively comprised. Sure, it’s possible to get “fast”, but that’s certainly NOT necessarily fun.

For example, we run a 330i touring. Great family car and very capable. For all that, I find my mk2 MX5 far more engaging and amusing, despite being a good deal slower

Caporegime
4 or 5 - w.r.t to the level of info, I know - this is my first second hand car - I feel overwhelmed with the options in this category! A bit of a shopping list to explore is useful, thank you. GTR possibly verging into the "more bonkers" territory and may be solving problems I don't have. Interesting how the E43 is similar pricing to the C43, that could be a winner?

Resale is an odd one to pitch on this, isn't it? Will it hold because its unique or will it plummet and take a decade to climb again? It's like /not/ buying Bose headphones... you are stuck with them for a while as the resale of the consumer-level competitors is pretty poor.

Not really in love with the M3 for some reason. A quick look on AT and there are a few but 5 years old versus the Mercedes at 3 in some cases.

That is because M cars are generally more bespoke. C class AMG's are more big engine in a normal C Class chassis. I guess it depends what you want. Dynamic drive or the sound of a V8 but more comfort.

Soldato
OP
Is a cheap second car viable?
My personal view is that pretty much anything capable of carrying a family will have its “fun” factor massively comprised. Sure, it’s possible to get “fast”, but that’s certainly NOT necessarily fun.

For example, we run a 330i touring. Great family car and very capable. For all that, I find my mk2 MX5 far more engaging and amusing, despite being a good deal slower
Yeah I suppose that does temper the enthusiasm a bit. I have access to an Ibiza FR that is the "go kart" experience. My friends C43 does make a nice noise though..

Can you push the budget to get an Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio?
I just can't justify the depreciation I don't think.

I have access to privilege rates on JLR but they have got rid of the V6 which would have been ideal to lease.

Soldato
Yeah I suppose that does temper the enthusiasm a bit. I have access to an Ibiza FR that is the "go kart" experience. My friends C43 does make a nice noise though..

I just can't justify the depreciation I don't think.

I have access to privilege rates on JLR but they have got rid of the V6 which would have been ideal to lease.

Keep it long enough and they will appreciate :D

Some point soon they will go out of production (because EVs) and then prices will start going up. For all of the best performance cars.

Associate
How old are you willing to go?

Would a Panamera be something to consider? Good selection of engines from diesel to hybrid depending on how you feel. and a big hatchback with folding seats for the broom:D

Associate
I really like the Stinger mentioned, it is a lot of car for the dough, drives well and has a lot of kit, like most cars these days though its big and heavy, I almost bought one for towing purposes but the tow rate drops from 1500 which was only just enough to 1100 or something like that when you go up to the V6, so I had to scratch it off the practical car list, in fairness the 2.0 turbo was reasonable anyway but if I was giving up gears I at least wanted some shove and noise.

Not sure what car you have, you mention XE and XF which are two cars of different size.

If you are looking for financial freedom dropping 30k on a motor is a tough one to recommend, like @Mr_Sukebe I find most of the cars mentioned struggle to be fun just doing the daily drudgery and don't come alive until the speeds hit silly numbers, modern safety standards making the cars such accomplished performers, so would be looking at spending a lot less on something older if I wanted to enjoy it.

The older cars don't tend to come with the luxuries but generally have less weight and less refinement so feel a bit more raw and enjoyable even if they may not be as good a car fundamentally.

For me I would probably pick up an old Alfa 3.2 GT/GTA I used to have one back in the day and despite its questionable build kept the blood pumping, great noise and engine response, not very big cars, though big enough for a two kid family, some might scoff at its front wheel drive nature, really doesn't matter, fun regardless.

perhaps an e46 could be a good choice?

I'd certainly be looking at a revvy NA and manual for that extra involvement in the experience if possible, harder to get newer these days.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom