• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second hand price insanity!

Associate
Damn just been reading this thread - i feel incredibley lucky that i got a Gigabyte Eagle OC 3090 on release for MSRP and about 5 weeks ago i managed to get a MSI ventus 3x OC 3070 for my brother for £590 from a high street retailer!

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I've had my 2070 Super FE sat in a box for months after upgrading to a 3080 FE, part of me wants to keep it just because it's lovely, but seeing everyone struggle I might put it on the MM :(

But then, if my 3080 FE poops itself for some reason I'm stuck :D

Caporegime
I've had my 2070 Super FE sat in a box for months after upgrading to a 3080 FE, part of me wants to keep it just because it's lovely, but seeing everyone struggle I might put it on the MM :(

But then, if my 3080 FE poops itself for some reason I'm stuck :D

Wouldn't be stuck for long via rma, they likely have some set aside for that.

Caporegime
id get stuff gone a lot of people are predicting gpus being pointless for mining soon with new changes to how it works. good news for games. might get cards at reasonable prices again and stock.

Soldato
Do you think in this madness anyone would buy a faulty GPU? Sounds crazy to me but I'm sure I've seen 'faulty' stuff for sale on the MM occasionally. People use for parts and what not?

I have a 980Ti that I damaged when I removed a heatsink I'd attached to a memory module with thermal tape. Tape was very strong/ sticky and difficult to get the heatsink off. I think the force I had to use must have borked something.
It's been sat in my cupboard for years and from memory it would boot into windows but the desktop was corrupted and would give some sort of driver error message.

Soldato
Do you think in this madness anyone would buy a faulty GPU? Sounds crazy to me but I'm sure I've seen 'faulty' stuff for sale on the MM occasionally. People use for parts and what not?

I have a 980Ti that I damaged when I removed a heatsink I'd attached to a memory module with thermal tape. Tape was very strong/ sticky and difficult to get the heatsink off. I think the force I had to use must have borked something.
It's been sat in my cupboard for years and from memory it would boot into windows but the desktop was corrupted and would give some sort of driver error message.

I reckon you'd have no bother getting fifty quid for it. Maybe a little more. If it's repairable, there could be £150-£200 profit in it for the person who buys it (and if not, they'll probably flog it on eBay as "Parts Only" for £60-£80).

Soldato
id get stuff gone a lot of people are predicting gpus being pointless for mining soon with new changes to how it works. good news for games. might get cards at reasonable prices again and stock.

the problem is they won't be "pointless for mining", just for mining Ethereum. The mining craze first took off when you could mine bitcoin on GPU's, then they developed ASICS and GPUs became "pointless for mining", so others developed coins that were resistant to asic mining, then they developed asics for them anyway and again GPU's became "pointless for mining", now the price of Eth is so good that its profitable again, but there are loads of other coins too, whenever one coin becomes pointless for mining another one takes its place, it sometimes takes time, but in the current climate there are loads of alt coins that would still be nearly as profitable

so yes, over the next 12 months there are changes to Eth coming that will make it not the coin of choice, but there are loads of other coins that can still turn a profit.

The one good thing is that as more and more GPU's are turned to mining, the difficulty increases so the payouts drop, so there is usually a window of opportunity to make the most but then it drops so demand drops - the worldwide shortage of components has exacerbated the current situation, but whenever a new set of cards comes out is has the potential to kick off again

Soldato

You'll sell it no problem on Ebay. Faulty 980 Tis seem to be going for £70-100 right now.

Associate
Bloody hell I can sell my 3080fe to the high street trade in place for £1190. Is the market really that bad, not really looked at it since I got my 3080. Knew there was a chip shortage but never knew it was this bad.

Associate
I was so excited about building a pc to play valheim with my friends instead of on my old laptop.

I now can't finish it because I don't want to be scalped. I even thought I stood a chance on a 6700xt today, lol how silly was I :(

Back
Top Bottom