Secret Hobbies ?

Soldato
Yeah playing video games at near 40 is not something i mention to people lol, they think you are a childish manchild who never grew up

Caporegime
Yeah playing video games at near 40 is not something i mention to people lol, they think you are a childish manchild who never grew up

Perhaps if you tell them you go home and play WoW every night for 6 hours and have no partner or kids.

Again, people of all ages talk about games where I work and nobody thinks anything differently of them for it.

People only tend to find hobbies weird when people obsess over them and it's all they talk about but then that's more down to the individual rather than the hobby itself.

Soldato
Perhaps if you tell them you go home and play WoW every night for 6 hours and have no partner or kids.

Again, people of all ages talk about games where I work and nobody thinks anything differently of them for it.

People only tend to find hobbies weird when people obsess over them and it's all they talk about but then that's more down to the individual rather than the hobby itself.

I was going to say this. Nobody really cares about games anymore.
I work with a guy who is late 20s, still lives at home and just goes home from work and plays on his PC till he goes to bed, that's it. People react differently to him saying he does that than when I say, I play COD for an hour a day.

Soldato

Do they? I've passed 40, its one of the few things I have in common with my son.
What hobbies are people supposed to have at certain ages?
Am I supposed to grow out of such things and take up something else? I've been a gamer for over 30 years, I don't like change :p

Soldato
Do they? I've passed 40, its one of the few things I have in common with my son.
What hobbies are people supposed to have at certain ages?
Am I supposed to grow out of such things and take up something else? I've been a gamer for over 30 years, I don't like change :p

All they went on about on the mod camp i worked on for 10 years was work, football, pubs, women, gossip, holidays, covid, the weather, money, houses, cars and more women, smartphones and more work. Almost no gamers that i knew of except one of the gardeners and a a few of the young apprentice guys.

Caporegime
All they went on about on the mod camp i worked on for 10 years was work, football, pubs, women, gossip, holidays, covid, the weather, money, houses, cars and more women, smartphones and more work. Almost no gamers that i knew of except one of the gardeners and a a few of the young apprentice guys.

Last place I worked at, in a conversation whilst making coffee with another colleague of similar age was talking about computer games, one of the partners in the law firm, in her early 40's, came in, heard what we were talking about and suddenly went "oh, I LOVE Skyrim".

I was very surprised, in a happy way.

It's cool to play games!

The whole "Pub, football, women(and men)" thing, and the weather....is standard British pastime. Life would be so dull if we all like the same thing.

Soldato
Wouldn't go as far as saying it's a Secret Hobby as such. But I've been absolutely engrossed in climbing/bouldering content recently, I'd love to really give it a go, but I'd struggle massively, I've done straight forward climbing walls(top roped) before but only really as taster sessions, I loved it but never really had the chance to really dedicate time to it.
I'm not unfit, I can run and carry plenty weight and I can seriously hold my own on a MTB, but I am on the chunky side and feel I would really struggle with core and upper body strength. All climbers I see are rake thin and well defined.
I feel I need to seriously work on core, upper body and grip strength before I even go near a climbing centre. I guess it's completely down to self consciousness and fear of embarassing myself.
Been toying with buying a finger board and some other specific training and exercise kit to help prepare myself.

I guess the main thing I need to do is just get over myself and get involved, but easier said than done...

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Wouldn't go as far as saying it's a Secret Hobby as such. But I've been absolutely engrossed in climbing/bouldering content recently, I'd love to really give it a go, but I'd struggle massively, I've done straight forward climbing walls(top roped) before but only really as taster sessions, I loved it but never really had the chance to really dedicate time to it.
I'm not unfit, I can run and carry plenty weight and I can seriously hold my own on a MTB, but I am on the chunky side and feel I would really struggle with core and upper body strength. All climbers I see are rake thin and well defined.
I feel I need to seriously work on core, upper body and grip strength before I even go near a climbing centre. I guess it's completely down to self consciousness and fear of embarassing myself.
Been toying with buying a finger board and some other specific training and exercise kit to help prepare myself.

I guess the main thing I need to do is just get over myself and get involved, but easier said than done...
Just have a go. Nothing like training your core strength by doing it.

After all, no one wakes up chiselled and decides to hit the gym.

Soldato

Yea, I enjoyed a try on a climbing wall. But I'm 16st, and that's not easy to keep lifting, especially by one hand when needed.

I can do several pull ups by one arm.. and then my arm will probably fall off..

If I however lost 4st.. I'd be able to do it all day I expect.
Loose 4st tho... yea impossible lol

Associate
Retro toys.

I casually collect Scalextric, Star Wars, Tamiya all classic stuff when these toys were in their heyday (sixties through to eighties). I don't buy the modern iterations. People at work know, same as friends. I also like to illustrate.

I mention when it crops up in conversation, so not ashamed at all. I have yet to meet someone who is not receptive. I know so many people who have no interests at all, likely their mobile phone!

Man of Honour
Watching Prisoner Cell Block H. Most episodes have been removed from YouTube. Some DVDs are so expensive. Yes all 692 episodes are on DVD.

I watched every episode but Wentworth is a different league.

In the late 80s Stoke used to have a Glam/Rock band called Take Two who I had a lot to do with (still play with the guitarist) and part of their act was emulating scenes from cell block H :)

Associate
hmm secret hobby... no one knows me personally so i don't need to feel embarassed ;)

Working in VR with h*ntai on one side and work on the other so the missus won't know i'm doing anything dodgy

(she doesn't approve watching any type of pron regardless if its fictional or not)

Soldato
I admit on here to building Lego sets as lots of others do, but I wouldn’t tell my mates down the pub as they’d take the **** mercilessly.

Hehe, I was very into lego around 15 years ago, when it wasn't as fashionable. I'd tell people about it and they'd laugh and say "isn't that for kids?". I'd then show them a remote control wall-e, walking power loader from Aliens, or a rifle that loads and shoots and they'd take it a lot more seriously. Men would generally get quite excited and start asking questions about how it all works.

One of those people is now seriously into Lego...

I just did my first build in years, a remote control halftrack.

Soldato
Me and a friend used to collect Pokemon cards for a while about 10 years ago, bought a whole bunch of the classic stuff including complete sets of the first 4 sets (paid about £30-40 each) and every deck from those sets sealed (roughly £5 each). I ended up selling most of it a few years ago for a pittance. Looking at the prices now I feel sick, packs I bought for £2 each selling for £400 :eek:. All I have left are the 4 original theme decks, two sealed and two opened.

Soldato
I'd say painting Warhammer but I seem to collect and make them up but never get to painting (Titanic's ,cause who doesn't like stomping xenos with giant robots!)

However I also paint model tanks if I get the chance from time to time.

But yeah even my best mates don't know, I know they see it as sad so keep it to myself, kind of like it that way to be honest.

Soldato
Erm dont' have anything I'm ashamed of just some I don't mention because people either don't understand or find it strange but eh thats their problem. Got a love of folk and trad music and I make mods for videogames for which I get a couple hundred quid in donations each year which I'm not going to get rich on but its the opposite to most hobbies in that they usually cost you money rather than the other way around. Also I love plants/horticulture/visiting gardens.

lol I'm 57 I rarely mention my age in gaming forums though

I keep bees
Yg8zT9Sl.jpg

Nice, I'd like to do the same if I had the space/place

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom