Securing your bike to a lamppost

Soldato
Getting a new bike next month, got the money to get some decent security. £250. Disclock and the £150 chain (cant remember the name).

I sadly don't have a garage or a safe way of taking the bike out the back. The below picture was taken some time ago as I have since put a massive extension on the side of the house which stretches to the lamppost. Suppose the bike being under the light might put people off?

Since this picture the council have installed a metal lamppost with new footings. Can anyone see a problem with me using it to lock my bike to? The potential thief will have a hell of a job trying to pull the lamppost down... Not to mention my new bedroom is practically above it.

oa2hsi.png

Soldato
Can't recall ever seeing bikes chained to lamp posts. Pushbikes maybe but they are usually too fat for a common D lock.

Main thing I'm thinking of is that you're going to be parked on the pavement.

Man of Honour
Someone might not nick it, but what's stopping a group of Chav's from vandalising it?

Whats stopping a group of chavs from vandalising anything parked on the street?

The only problem I can see is it being on the pavement which may lead to people getting annoyed that you're blocking it apart from that as long as you've got a pragmasis or almax chain then you'll be about as safe as it's going to get.

Soldato
If thats your house in the pic and the front hasn't changed too much, personally, I'd put it in front of the (living room?) window with one of those concrete anchors.

Soldato
Whats stopping a group of chavs from vandalising anything parked on the street?

After reading the OP and Archerz post, i thought it was a push bike :D.

But yeah, ignore that.

I did used to lock my moped up at college to a lamppost, although that was in the cycle-park area, so not really somewhere people would naturally walk about.

Soldato
As mentioned above, get it off the road - even 10ft will deter the drunks walking past who think it's funny to push a motorbike over. Shouldn't be too hard to put it up the pavement and in front of your front window.

Soldato
OP
The back of the house is much higher than the front... and now the extension has been build there is no way I can safely get the bike out the bike without damaging it or dropping it.

I do like the idea of possibly wheeling it in from of the window and putting a ground anchor down.

People wont complain about it being in the way as its a culdesac.

Back
Top Bottom