Security chains, locks and weather protective bike cover?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I bought a KTM Duke, but I sadly don't have a garage around my house and the nearest garages are quite far away.

So tomorrow, in my back garden I'm going to dig out a 0.5-0.7m hole and then buy a thick rod which I'll get bent and then grout the whole.

I will also require a thick chain, disc alarm and nice thick cover which will protect it from the rain. I'll be buying TPFT insurance as its £300 and compulsory is £865, as long as I have theft cover I should be all good, right? :p

I don't really have a budget set, but I don't want to overpay just for the logo. (Says the guy who bought KTM :o) :p

Associate
Almax Chains are great, damn heavy so not convenient for taking out and about though.
I also have an Oxford Rainex cover which is great and a Xena XX-14 alarmed disc lock which is plenty loud enough to grab my attention while indoors.

Associate
You have a garden at least so better off than I was. Get yourself a serious lock & chain 16mm or 19mm. I got a Squire set but there's also The Pragmasis Protector & The Almax Immobiliser.
As for the alarmed disc lock I have an Oxford Boss for the front wheel and a cheap overly sensitive and very loud JDC one for the rear you can't touch my bike without setting one off but the cheap one goes off in the rain, not a problem when it's under a cover though.

I also have excess protection insurance as the last time my bike was stolen I lost almost £1000 and seeing as my neighbours bike was stolen a few days ago it's likely to happen to me again.

But as long as it anchored to the ground and away from prying eyes you should be good.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Can't you knock up a cheap shed?

The level in my garden doesn't allow it, its so steep that I would have to dig the whole garden and level it up. I have just enough space for putting a table some chairs and a place for a bike in the corner, not much though... enough space for BBQ but not for a shed. If I did somehow managed to level up the shed, it would prevent the sun hitting the house bottom windows... I've no clue who was so stupid to make a steep garden like that, but there you go. When I had RS, I had a big garage with 2 seats, table, tool wardrobe and somehow a citroen berlingo managed to fit there as well. : o

Last edited:
Soldato
Get the Almax Immobiliser IV with the Squire lock for the lock and chain part.

If you want an alarmed disc lock, go for the Xena XX15. Only problem though is you will set it off when putting the cover on and it'll probably go off in heavy wind/rain in the winter (depending on how windy where you park it is). I'd expect you'll have the same issue with any alarmed lock, unless you can put it on after the cover.

You can get lockable covers which are quite nice, it just has a hole by the wheel part of the cover where you can pass the chain through: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/46433. Make sure it's long enough to cover your wheels and disk brakes - some of them aren't.

Edit: with the Xena XX15 disk lock, you can also buy a chain attachment bit so you can chain the disk lock to something while it's on the bike. Could be useful for you.

Edit2: also, make sure you get the Almax chain long enough to pass through something solid on your bike, like the swingarm, not just the wheel. Wheels can be taken off. Ideally you also want the chain to be off the ground when locked up so you can't get leverage on the ground to cut it, or hammer it.

It really all depends on your area and how paranoid you are :p. I could probably leave mine unlocked outside without a problem, but I still chain, disk lock, steering lock and garage the thing.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
The almax chains are good,heavy though but good
I've digged up a whole in the back garden which is 0.5m deep, I'm planning on buying ground anchor from the bay 'Bike It Motorbike Motorcycle Security Cement In Mammoth Ground Anchor For Chains' or 'VERY HEAVY DUTY 40MM SWIVEL CEMENT GROUND ANCHOR / MOTORCYCLE / MOTORBIKE'

I'm not sure if I should buy 16mm or 19mm chain, almax is definately the way to go or will oxford do the job?

I need at least 2m chain, 1.5m is a tight fit.

http://www.almax-security-chains.co...s-IV--Uber--Squire-SS65CS-Lock__p-70-129.aspx

or

http://www.almax-security-chains.co...-Squire-SS65CS-Stronghold-Lock__p-69-123.aspx

As for the cover something from the rainforest e.g. 'Bike Folding Storage Tent - Waterproof 600D Oxford' or 'FeelGoodUK Motorbike Motorcycle Bike Cover Shelter Garage (BH01)' or ' OXFORD STORMEX'

Caporegime
i have the series 3, 1.5m and its plenty long enough,you can carry it around in a strong rucksack

the iv series will weight an absolute ton

you'll go through the wheel and ground anchor with room to spare,or even around/through swingarm and ground anchor (test it first when ground anchor is in with a 1.5m length of string)

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
i have the series 3, 1.5m and its plenty long enough,you can carry it around in a strong rucksack

the iv series will weight an absolute ton

you'll go through the wheel and ground anchor with room to spare,or even around/through swingarm and ground anchor (test it first when ground anchor is in with a 1.5m length of string)

Do you have the Squire SS65CS Stronghold Lock with the Almax chain or would you recommend a different padlock?

Associate
I'm not sure if I should buy 16mm or 19mm chain, almax is definately the way to go or will oxford do the job?

I need at least 2m chain, 1.5m is a tight fit.

As far as I understand it no one is gonna saw or bolt crop the 16mm or 19mm chains but power tools will get through them. I went with 16mm as it's a bit more manageable, I mean it only just goes through the wheel on my Scooter and bike, but still insanely heavy & cheaper than the 19mm.
Plus I went with Squire seeing as everyone uses their locks, they offer the same guarantee as Pragmasis and Almax yet their matching chain set was slightly cheaper.
I almost went with the 16mm Oxford Nemesis but I don't like the look of their padlock.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Ordered ground anchor £26.99, Almax III 1.5m with Squire - £168 and now I should invest in a disc lock/alarm.

Any recommendations? My neighbour has a young child, so I would prefer it to not go off in e.g. rain. I will use a protective cover, but it shouldn't be too sensitive...

Associate
Get one of the Xena disc locks. No issues here with it going off unnecessarily, the higher you put it on the disc the more sensitive it will be so you can adjust this to a degree.
The XX14 and XX15 use the same locking pin but are slightly different shapes to fit different shaped discs. They have a template on their website you can print out which will allow you to see which one fits best.

Soldato
Get one of the Xena disc locks. No issues here with it going off unnecessarily, the higher you put it on the disc the more sensitive it will be so you can adjust this to a degree.
The XX14 and XX15 use the same locking pin but are slightly different shapes to fit different shaped discs. They have a template on their website you can print out which will allow you to see which one fits best.

This.

I had a bad Xena XX15 first time round that was over sensitive even at 6 on the disc & eventually the pin wouldn't go in far enough to lock anymore, so I sent it back.

New one is perfect, never goes off unless actually touched and seems to be holding up well.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
So something likes THIS is not a good idea?

Edit:

Posted wrong lock, I meant Oxford Screamer disc lock

Last edited:
Associate
Don't think that's alarmed is it?
I had an Oxford Omega disc lock before my Xena. Happy to go for a relatively cheap one without the alarm but I think a cheap alarmed disc lock is just likely to **** people (including yourself) off when it goes off unnecessarily.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Don't think that's alarmed is it?
I had an Oxford Omega disc lock before my Xena. Happy to go for a relatively cheap one without the alarm but I think a cheap alarmed disc lock is just likely to **** people (including yourself) off when it goes off unnecessarily.

I'll buy the Xena than, biking isn't cheap :p

Back
Top Bottom