"Sega Megadrive to play on ps3"

Soldato
Ken Kutaragi has spelt at the TGS(Tokyo Game Show 2006) that apart from PSOne and PS2 titles to be playable on the PS3 based on the e-distribution initiative, he has also announced that Genesis (Megadrive) software also would be offered. The e-distribution initiative from Sony looks promising

Anyone care to translate the source HERE

This is a good move imo.

PS
Taken from another forum.

Last edited:
Soldato
Problem with this is though, that Nintendo are already doing it mostly.

And Live is doing a lot of mega drive games. If anything, I feel it sony basically doing another "lets do what the competition is doing".

I would be far more interested if a company would get Saturn games, rather than mega drive ones.

Soldato
Dark_Angel said:
Problem with this is though, that Nintendo are already doing it mostly.

And Live is doing a lot of mega drive games. If anything, I feel it sony basically doing another "lets do what the competition is doing".

I would be far more interested if a company would get Saturn games, rather than mega drive ones.

It's called keeping with the times, if people want to play old school games then the console manufacturers give them that option.

Last edited:
Soldato
Kreeeee said:
Hmm... that's great news actually. Wii for my Nintendo fix (which every gamer should have) and PS3 for the Sega one :)

360 for online play obviously :)

I am pretty certain that the Wii can already do that.

I dont care for Genesis games if the Wii can do it, I want the 360 or the PS3 to do Saturn games.

Soldato
Kreeeee said:
I didn't know the Wii could do Mega Drive games, although I do remember a rumour about it ages ago.

I still have my saturn and over 80 games so I don't need that emulated :)

(I'd be suprised if the saturn could be emulalated on the PS3 well though, it was a most disorganised and complex system.

I have a saturn, but its a pain to get it out. I would simply LOVE games that were never released over here to be emulated.

OR better still, just get capcom to get their butt in gear and put Xmen vs Street Fighter and whatever else on the consoles. It would be easy if PC's and xbox 1's could handle it via emulation.

This is going to sound fanboy like, and its not meant to, but I am less interested in the PS3 when I hear things like this, it basically just shows that they are not being original. Get other games, rather than going for the same thing your rival has.

For me that is buying all 3 consoles, (and anyone else who wants to own all 3) its less interesting for diversion between them as well.

Soldato
Kreeeee said:
All fair points angel. I was a real Saturn nut and being able to bung in my disc and play it on the PS3 woud be great but the button layout is atrocious.

Yeah...

I have to be honest I would PREFER the saturn Emulation on Xbox. If the live emulation worked a treat it would be perfect. Still, just a dream I am afraid :(

Off topic, but I need to get my butt in gear and complete Panzer Dragoon Saga :/

Soldato
i really feel megadrive/genisis emultion on a £450+ console isn't needed. what message are they trying to send out? is it the all powerful show stopping console with 1080p support and jaw-dropping graphics? or is it an emulator doing what the wii has already promised to do (except the wii emulates a whole lot more).

Caporegime
Kreeeee said:
All fair points angel. I was a real Saturn nut and being able to bung in my disc and play it on the PS3 woud be great but the button layout is atrocious.
I would be much more interested in getting a PS3 if they would make a Sega Saturn pad for it too. It had the most amazing response.

Soldato
cheets64 said:
The Wii can do that. Sony copying again.

Thats just very immature tbh. All 3 next-gen consoles can play old games (Xbox Live Arcade, Wii downloadable Nintendo games, PS3 plays PS1 and PS2 games aswell as old Mega drive/PC games by emulation)

Its just become one of those features that all consoles have adopted. Another example would be the ability to turn on the console with the controller, and another would be wireless controllers. Debating who came up with the idea first is pointless.

Last edited:
Associate
Johanson said:
Thats just very immature tbh. All 3 next-gen consoles can play old games (Xbox Live Arcade, Wii downloadable Nintendo games, PS3 plays PS1 and PS2 games aswell as old Mega drive/PC games by emulation)

Its just become one of those features that all consoles have adopted. Another example would be the ability to turn on the console with the controller, and another would be wireless controllers. Debating who came up with the idea first is pointless.

Agreed. For example, who really cares who came up with the ability to save first? We are all happy that this can now be done on every console right?

As far as announcing it now is concerned, they are just trying to remove the selling points of the Wii. If people were only going to buy the Wii for its ability to play old games then that might have worked, but it won't.

Lets just be glad the console makers are giving the customers something the like.

Soldato
james.miller said:
i really feel megadrive/genisis emultion on a £450+ console isn't needed. what message are they trying to send out? is it the all powerful show stopping console with 1080p support and jaw-dropping graphics? or is it an emulator doing what the wii has already promised to do (except the wii emulates a whole lot more).

I think its more putting a finger in many pies (or however it goes), 1 system to play games, watch movies, play old school games, communicate online, etc etc, a whole entertainment system. (Also it is a feature I like, instead of having a whole other 2nd console for oldies, just have a kinda one for all)

Back
Top Bottom