Selecting a gaming monitor

Permabanned
Good evening to all.

Friend is in search of a new screen for his PC, which will cover his gaming needs.

Desired features:

27 ", 144Hz, 1440p, 1-4ms response, panel IPS with gsync. for gaming.

Another suggestion according to the above features?

Man of Honour
For those specs the most popular options would be the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q and Acer Predator XB271HU. There’s also models from AOC and Viewsonic based on the same panel and at lower price points

Associate
Agreed, based on what you have said i would go for the Asus ROG Swift PG279Q.

If you aren't too bothered about IPS and wouldn't mind a TN panel then the Dell S2716DG is a great choice.

Permabanned
OP
someone told me these things about acer and viewsonic and because my english are not very good

can you tell me please what he means with all these things that he told me??

Don’t discount the AOC AG271QG as a possible alternative.

– The ASUS PG279Q seems to have the worst quality control of these options. As with any model it’s decent enough if you get a good unit and on par with the others. But your odds of that are slightly lower, at least from user feedback I’ve seen.

– The XG2703-GS uses a different variant of the XB271HU‘s panel, but it is of a similar age and generation.

– Most XB271HUs are nicely calibrated and similar to the ViewSonic for overall image quality (and responsiveness). Some are not as well calibrated, gamma is too low regardless of OSD settings. That is what people will be referring to when they say colours aren’t as good. They aren’t, if you get one of those bad units. The AOC, ViewSonic and ASUS are more consistent with their calibration.

Given the above, any of these models can be good if you get a good unit. Performance is then similar and you’re splitting hairs trying to compare them. The ViewSonic and AOC are probably the most consistently good, however.

when he says that ViewSonic and AOC are probably the most consistently good what he means>??

Permabanned
The AOC AG271QG and ViewSonic XG2703-GS are indeed very similar. Some slight differences to be aware of:

Aesthetics and ports. Obviously the two models look different. The AOC has two side-mounted 3.5mm jacks (mic + headphone), headphone hook and USB 3.0 ports. It also has a 3.5mm mic jack at the rear. The ViewSonic has a single 3.5mm jack (headphone), headphone hook and 2 USB 3.0 ports at the rear, which is slightly less convenient for access of the ports. One of the AOC’s USB ports also supports fast-charging, whereas the ViewSonic does not have such a feature. The stand height adjustability is better on the AOC as well (130mm vs. 100mm).

Gamma tracking.. The ViewSonic’s gamma sits very close to the ‘2.2’ curve, whereas the AOC sits at ‘2.3’ on average. Not a huge difference here, but it does mean the ViewSonic is technically more accurate ‘out of the box’ (and following OSD adjustments) whereas the AOC displays some shades with just a little bit of extra depth. Some users actually like that, particularly for gaming. The AOC also has 2 alternative gamma modes, but as per the review I’d stick with the default ‘Mode1’.

– The ‘Low Blue Light’ (LBL) setting on the AOC can achieve similar results to that of the ViewSonic without upsetting contrast. Both maintain decent static contrast under LBL, but it’s a bit higher on the AOC with the ‘Low Blue Light’ setting on even to its maximum (most effective) setting.

– The AOC has a superior brightness adjustment range, at least from what we tested. 42 cd/m2 min (vs. 55 cd/m2 for the ViewSonic) and 384 cd/m2 (vs. 312 cd/m2 for the ViewSonic).

Pixel responsiveness. The ViewSonic has a slight edge here, but only really in the transitions that both are slightly slower than optimal on. This is a slight difference and most users wouldn’t detect this readily even in a side-by-side comparison.

So as you can see, they are very similar but there are some slight differences if you look at the detail. I would choose based primarily on price and availability, plus if you have any strong preferences for one or the other based on their looks. Because that is of course important as well. If they’re difficult to seperate based on that, then some of the small details above should also be considered.

Man of Honour
They are probably all fair comments, especially those from pcmonitors.info. The owner of that site frequents this forum too (PCM2) by the way so may chip in more

Personally I think you should base the decision on price, preference, and availability in your region of the models discussed here. They are all ultimately quite similar given the use of very similar panels and specs

Man of Honour
what it means that he said??
The AOC, ViewSonic and ASUS are more consistent with their calibration?
He means that the out of the box set up is more accurate on those models, providing a well calibrated gamma, white point and colours and therefore producing a nice, and reliable, image. He’s saying that the Acer model seems to be a little more variable with some units having a poorer calibration based on some user feedback. I’ve not seen any reports of that personally but if you trust this person then you could skip the Acer and look at the other models if you want to be safe :)

Permabanned
OP
i have one last question..
if i will buy the Viewsonic XG2703-GS because this ,model is from 2016 do you believe that this monitor will be very old in the technology and everything because this monitor will have 3 years from now?? .

Man of Honour
what kind of units have poorer calibration?? in acer>>??
well i can't personally confirm this, but whoever gave you that advice in the first post is suggesting that some models of the Acer XB271HU come with poorer factory calibration, resulting in colours looking a bit off and gamma not quite being right. I dont know for sure if that's true or not, but if you trust this person and want to be safe, you could maybe avoid the XB271HU and instead look at the Asus/AOC/Viewsonic models.

i have one last question..
if i will buy the Viewsonic XG2703-GS because this ,model is from 2016 do you believe that this monitor will be very old in the technology and everything because this monitor will have 3 years from now?? .

There haven't really been any other announcements or changes to the 27" IPS, high refresh rate G-sync screens so although they were released a little while ago, they are still current. The only more recent developments in this kind of space would be the 27" models with 4K resolution, 144Hz and HDR - but those cost several thousand ££ and are quite a lot different.

Permabanned
OP
because I don't know a lot of things for ultrawides is it possible to tell me if ultrawides support all the games or some games;;
the most people for pc games what monitor take;.
if I will buy ultrawide monitor will I have problems and issues in most games; or is better to buy one monitor in 16.9?; for to have better compability;
also I am a gamer and I am playing a lot of titles very old and very new titles
I am hardcore gamer
what is your experience from ultrawides monitors; for using them in pc games;
what the most people prefer 21.9 or 16.9 for gaming?
which are the advatages and disavantages from ultrawides monitors
does all the games give the support for ultrawides monitors/;
can you tell me please what is your opinion for the ultrawides monitors??

Permabanned
OP
someone told me some things

and tell me if you agree please??

Depending on the monitor input it is also possible to set an ultrawide up so that it shows as 2 separate monitors in Windows, so you can have 2 “monitors” one one physical monitor. Then you’d be able to put a game on either side and whatever else on the other side. Comes down to personal preference how you set it up. AFAIK this only works when the monitor has 2 physical inputs being used at the same time though, and the monitor firmware has to support it (basically a Side by Side setting).
I have never used one though I am intrigued by the idea, but I refrained from getting one because of support issues. Not every game even works in the first place and even if they do it really depends on the game. Generally competitive games won’t give you any advantage due to wider monitors, so they will scale the FOV and that does induce some headaches for some people. Some games will solve that issue by scaling the image to the width and then cutting off from top and bottom. Some games will scale the rendered graphics but the HUD doesn’t adjust, so it’s stuck in the corners which can be annoying because they are too far apart.

Soldato
It's not the ultrawide that would be the issue it's the games themselves not putting the option for 21:9. What will happen is if the game doesn't support 21:9 and you have to use 16:9 you'll get black bars on the left and right of your screen.

I have no idea about your side by side setting. Most people just use 2 monitors and those with 1 monitor run a game in full-screen windowed mode and alt tab to get to whatever else they have. Or you can run in windowed mode and adjust screen space by lowering the games resolution so you can have simultaneous viewing of your game and whatever else you have. There are various ways around it.

Permabanned
why the most games dont put option for 21:9??

look i have the money to buy ultrawide but the reason why i dont want to buy ultrawide is because i believe that there will be issues

Back
Top Bottom