• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

sell 1080ti + gsync monitor?

Soldato
Wouldn't touch an Acer with a barge pole.

I know where jigger is coming from the current crop of monitors are such a lottery on whether you will get a good one or not why do you think the next releases will be any better ?

I dont get why people bang on about HDR as though its the next big thing for the PC its not all that. The HDR movies I have watched do add to the pq but I can live without it. Its not a necessity or a benefit to me. Its kind of nice to have if it just so happens to be included but its not something I would go out of my way to buy. Would rather get an OLED monitor that is perfect over an LED monitor with HDR. Its pish its pash.

Out of curiosity what display have you been watching HDR movies on?

Soldato
The V64 doesn't perform as well as a 1080ti, it will get better with driver improvements but it's not going to reach parity. That said if the V64 isn't going to be a bottleneck in the games you play then it's a sensible swap in order to get the better monitor because the gaming experience will be better. I wouldn't do it personally because of the £300 outlay to reduce the lifespan of the card (as a V64 won't last as long as a 1080ti).

Why, just why?
Why did people in the late 80's sell their Betamax players/tapes and switch to VHS.

Associate
Why did people in the late 80's sell their Betamax players/tapes and switch to VHS.

True but the card is a downgrade still and I'm not sure what monitor situation is ATM but we will likely see the equivalent monitor for nvidia?

Edit: there isn't many games out there that are HDR so when the nvidia equivalent does come out there will be more variety.

Soldato
I've had that monitor, it was awesome! Only sold it to switch to UW, still regret it (now that we have a single card that can run 4k, the Ti) :(

I really deliberated long and hard about that monitor, as it had G-sync. But it only had HDMI 1.4. The Benq had two HDMI 2 ports.
Did you find the reported glitching or flickering an issue at all.?
As mentioned there are 20 plus pages of it noted over at their forums and videos on YT showing it.....

Acer have reproduced the issue and believe it is the panel used. No fix tho.

Are you not that impressed with UW or do you just miss 4k....?

Soldato
^^^^ There aren't that many Gsync monitors around tho, compared to Freesync offerings.

With my Ti1080 I had very limited choice with a 4k 32" monitor to choose if I wanted Gysnc, one Acer XB321HK and that was it...! That monitor has twenty pages plus worth of reported issues on each one sold. It also only has HDMI 1.4, if you have a media device or console to connect then you have a problem. I also didn't like the style, putting aside its fault. I could not believe how I was trying to reconcile buying that monitor with its known fault just because there wasn't another 32" Gsync 4k that I could find.

I ended up with a BenQ PD3200U 32" Ultra HD, which does not have Gsync. But connectivity wise, and other qualities, it suited my needs better.

The price and range of choice for Gsync is bad, I don't bother much about FPS type of games and I haven't noticed tearing with the Benq. That is more of a reflection of the games I play I think but it would have been nice to have had a wider choice, especially without the big price hike.

I even held off before getting a Ti (and missed out on a cheap EVGA SC card at £600) to see what Vega offered, when it lunched tho I wasn't impressed enough to buy into that GPU. Perhaps considering the card and monitor as a complete package it could be different. I might not have given that enough consideration.
fair points, i have a freesync and vega setup myself and happy with it, but you are going to take a hit selling the ti and a drop in frames per second, if you can live with that and be happier with your gaming experience then its all good i guess

Soldato
Panasonic TX-50DX750B the best film I have seen so far using HDR was Mad Max. However I can take it or leave it.

If you watch it on a more premium TV you might be more impressed. That TV is pretty average compared to something like the Dx902b or other premium end ones.

It's a feature that I think we will all grow to demand in future.

Soldato
I can see where the op is coming from. HDR is the new kid on the block and is actually starting to take off.

Saying that though, me personally I wouldn't sell off my kit and downgrade to a Vega.

Stay on the Nvidia ecosystem because what are you going to do when Volta launches? Sell your 34" Freesync panel and Vega and buy new kit again?

I only a few weeks ago bought a new monitor. But it's a mainstream 144hz Gysnc. I'll buy a HDR monitor in a 3-5 years when that too is mainstream.

It's a huge upgrade for me as it is, so I don't think I'm missing anything.

No need to upgrade OP. Wait for a mainstream HDR Gysnc panel. It might actually work out cheaper as you can keep the 1080ti and not need to buy a new GPU.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I can see where the op is coming from. HDR is the new kid on the block and is actually starting to take off.

Saying that though, me personally I wouldn't sell off my kit and downgrade to a Vega.

Stay on the Nvidia ecosystem because what are you going to do when Volta launches? Sell your 34" Freesync panel and Vega and buy new kit again?

I only a few weeks ago bought a new monitor. But it's a mainstream 144hz Gysnc. I'll buy a HDR monitor in a 3-5 years when that too is mainstream.

No need to upgrade OP. Wait for a mainstream HDR Gysnc panel. It might actually work out cheaper as you can keep the 1080ti and not need to buy a new GPU.
From what I have seen he always upgrades when something new comes out, so I doubt he will be keeping the 1080Ti :p

Soldato
HDR (on PC's) just isn't a thing yet, don't bother. The driver and application support isn't there.

Resident Evil 7, Battlefield 1, Destiny 2 all support HDR and runs just fine on my setup. Most of the upcoming major PC releases will have HDR support included as well. It's entering the mainstream.

Saying the driver support isn't there is misleading to the point of flat out lying.

Associate
OP
Resident Evil 7, Battlefield 1, Destiny 2 all support HDR and runs just fine on my setup. Most of the upcoming major PC releases will have HDR support included as well. It's entering the mainstream.

Saying the driver support isn't there is misleading to the point of flat out lying.
what monitor and gpu do you have?

Associate
OP

Advice with logic, thanks but how long do you think it will take for Gysnc 100+Hz HDR OLED (4k or 1440p) widescreen monitors to release? a lot of info on the net but no solid release dates or indicaTION

maybe nvidia has ordered monitor manufacturers to wait for volta

Soldato
When it comes to tech and the philosophy of AMD and Nvidia this is true:

AMD ahead of the curve, before market needs. Nvidia on time to meet market demands.

Once HDR is mainstream enough trust me, Nvidia will have an offering for you.

Just wait a bit. I'm sure they are on route.

Soldato
It all boils down to the user and what they feel is a downgrade. Sure 1080ti to vega is a downgrade in performance. But a better monitor is also an upgrade.
So it swings both ways, personally I wouldn't do the change and would wait for Next Gen GPUs by then they should also be more HDR monitors out for better competition.

It's a downgrade, no matter how many ways it's spun.

Soldato
what monitor and gpu do you have?

It's all in my sig ;)

People's denial of the existence of HDR in PC gaming just to try and make their own non-existent point is both funny and sad at the same time.

It used to be that PC gaming was on the cutting edge and everyone would proudly crow on about it, now they're trying to downplay certain aspects of it to push their own agendas and win internet fights

Back
Top Bottom