Selling a car with outstanding recalls

Soldato
I bought a 2nd hand Clio from Arnold Clark in March. My boyfriend took it to a Renault garage yesterday as a walk in appointment for something minor which he thought they'd fix in half an hour. He got a call back saying that the car was ready but that they couldn't release it as there was a red recall notice against it! There is apparently a part which can damage the whole engine if it's left.

I've looked online and I think the recall is from September 2011. Should Arnold Clark have sold me the car if there was an outstanding red recall against it? I'm really unhappy at the inconvenience of having my car taken away with no notice and trying to arrange a frankly awful courtesy car with no drivers licence (we've just moved house). There's also the simple issue that my next service is 6 months away and my engine could have been wrecked by this time.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

Siobhan x

Maz

Maz

Soldato
I think the engine wrecked line is a bit harsh, it's been in the car all this time and it hasn't destroyed the engine!

The Arnold Clark you bought your car from, is it a Renault Dealer?

Man of Honour
I don't think there is anything wrong with selling a car with outstanding recalls unfortunately - and as the dealer is fixing it free of charge for you (as per standard procedure) its difficult to think what, if any, comeback you have.

I can't imagine what courtesy car Renault would give you that would be hugely different from a Clio anyway? So I doubt it'll be awful.

Back
Top Bottom