• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Selling GPU to CEX

Soldato
Expensive ($1.2 billion down payment against a $7 billion bill just to make the cores at TSMC) + shareholders wanting increased growth and profit (capitalism 101) and the market now showing that the new prices are acceptable.

Just you saying that makes me so happy i got a 3080Fe during all this, however i do slightly regret not dumping my 3080 to CeX when I had the chance and buying the 3090Fe.

Soldato
Just you saying that makes me so happy i got a 3080Fe during all this, however i do slightly regret not dumping my 3080 to CeX when I had the chance and buying the 3090Fe.

Nvidia wont make the mistake again with cheap MSRP cards which are both artificially underpriced (loss leader to generate market share) and in massively short supply. AIB cards can be bought right now, but FE cards, a fight for the handful every month or 2 , needing exotic measures to try and get one. Nv are the top of the pile for gross profit margin - 68% i think.

Soldato
Someone from Bradford wanted to buy it, quite far tbh, but asked for a time to meet and he just messaged back asking for exact address. Isn't it safer for both to meet in a busy ish public area instead? Not sure if that's a bit dodgy. It's also not me that's listed it, sister's other half is doing it for me because he can drive if need be.

Maybe I'm just rushing into this and it's not the right time to sell anyway? Tempted to wait for an ebay fee promotion and list it there or FB market place next time too. Shame CEX dropped their price so much that i don't want to take it there to save the hassle.

Soldato
Someone from Bradford wanted to buy it, quite far tbh, but asked for a time to meet and he just messaged back asking for exact address. Isn't it safer for both to meet in a busy ish public area instead? Not sure if that's a bit dodgy. It's also not me that's listed it, sister's other half is doing it for me because he can drive if need be.

Maybe I'm just rushing into this and it's not the right time to sell anyway? Tempted to wait for an ebay fee promotion and list it there or FB market place next time too. Shame CEX dropped their price so much that i don't want to take it there to save the hassle.
I've had people collect from me before in my apartment and had no issues. Luckily both buyers were really nice, gave the items a test before leaving and confirmed they were happy.
Bradford however... I tend to avoid buying and selling when that location comes up. I've had a couple of sales that had issues. Facebook marketplace I see a lot of 'Apple iCloud activation locked' iPhones for sale from people located in Bradford. As in iPhone 12s for £70 :rolleyes:
I'm sure there are excellent buyers and sellers in Bradford, but many will not be too

Soldato
I've had people collect from me before in my apartment and had no issues. Luckily both buyers were really nice, gave the items a test before leaving and confirmed they were happy.
Bradford however... I tend to avoid buying and selling when that location comes up. I've had a couple of sales that had issues. Facebook marketplace I see a lot of 'Apple iCloud activation locked' iPhones for sale from people located in Bradford. As in iPhone 12s for £70 :rolleyes:
I'm sure there are excellent buyers and sellers in Bradford, but many will not be too
Sold on FB marketplace now for £1100, no problems. I know i could've gotten another 100-200 on ebay but this mostly avoided any potential issues, so fairly happy anyway. And better than being robbed by CEX with their current prices where they would have given me £707 for it.

Permabanned
CEX is fantastic for a quick sell personally.

However never had a problem selling a GPU on Ebay, I have sold just 3 GPU's on Ebay though. R9 280x. GTX 970. 5700-XT.

Soldato
CEX is fantastic for a quick sell personally.

However never had a problem selling a GPU on Ebay, I have sold just 3 GPU's on Ebay though. R9 280x. GTX 970. 5700-XT.
Yes i sold one item to CEX before while they had good prices, they were good and was done in around 30 mins. No way was i selling them a 3080 for £707 though even though i paid 650 for it.

Only problem i had on ebay was one dodgy bidder on my MSI 980Ti last year, after i cancelled his bids i saw his max bid was some silly price, i think it was over 1,000. I ended up getting 240 for it.

Associate
Totally agree with you there, I live in Leeds and I wouldn't give someone from Bradford my address to collect anything like a 3080FE.

Soldato
I might ask my brother to sell my graphics card on Ebay for me (if I can buy a better one first). What recourse do Ebay sellers have if they get scammed by a buyer?

I was going to sell it to CEX, but their buying prices dropped recently.

What about websites like 'rainforest', is that a good place to sell graphics cards?

Associate
I might ask my brother to sell my graphics card on Ebay for me (if I can buy a better one first). What recourse do Ebay sellers have if they get scammed by a buyer?

I was going to sell it to CEX, but their buying prices dropped recently.

What about websites like 'rainforest', is that a good place to sell graphics cards?

On eBay you have no recourse, that's why I'd avoid it for selling privately, especially with a high-value item. I'm not sure about the rainforset, but whenever I've needed help the rainforst always instantly came down on my side as a buyer.

Associate
CEX is good if you want rid of something and want some money for it RIGHT NOW, but the money you'll get will be significantly less than what the item is worth.

If you want to get closer to what the item is actually worth and you have some patience then I recommend ebay. It's not perfect but I've been selling high value items on there for years and never had any serious issues, there have been delays and misunderstandings but I've never been left out of pocket long-term. Making sure the item is thoroughly cleaned and taking other steps to make the listing more presentable are worthwhile to get more money.

Associate
Yes i sold one item to CEX before while they had good prices, they were good and was done in around 30 mins. No way was i selling them a 3080 for £707 though even though i paid 650 for it.

Only problem i had on ebay was one dodgy bidder on my MSI 980Ti last year, after i cancelled his bids i saw his max bid was some silly price, i think it was over 1,000. I ended up getting 240 for it.
Obviously no idea about this particular buyer, but I did something like that years ago.
Bidding in the last few seconds of the auction - Barton 2500 it was - idea was to bid £55,55. Turned out I had typed in £5555 as my max.
So it may actually happen - just a silly mistake.

Soldato
Obviously no idea about this particular buyer, but I did something like that years ago.
Bidding in the last few seconds of the auction - Barton 2500 it was - idea was to bid £55,55. Turned out I had typed in £5555 as my max.
So it may actually happen - just a silly mistake.

Yeah except the other person placed the bid with plenty of time and didn't bother retracting the bid. A bit different to what you (understandably) did.

Soldato
good to know, thanks.

Is it easy to list items on Rainforest?

Pretty easy but seller protection is no better than fleabay sold a videogame once to a kiddie only for him to email me a few days later saying he'd changed his mind and wanted his money back, a common occurance apperently. I hadn't actually posted it yet because I figured something like that might happen despite amazon urging you must send it immediately if not sooner upon pain of death. Ok I may have exaggerated the last bit slightly but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom