Sending files wireless

Associate
Hey folks, looking to see whats the best way to send files wireless to a PC automatically from a dslr. Are we talking something like an EYE-FI card? I'm perhaps looking something with a bit more range than WiFi setup I think. I have a D810 and a D750 if that makes any difference.

Associate
OP
I was thinking that yea, I guess my other option would be using WiFi hotspot on my phone to send them to PC long distance but the amount of data being transferred would be unreal and slow I'm guessing.

Soldato
Honestly, I doubt it'll be worth it via wifi with a D810 and D750 just down to the file size unless you're shooting low res jpgs.

Why do you want it? There may be other options available to you depending on what you need it for.

Associate
OP
Honestly, I doubt it'll be worth it via wifi with a D810 and D750 just down to the file size unless you're shooting low res jpgs.

Why do you want it? There may be other options available to you depending on what you need it for.

Yea that's most likely true. Honestly I was thinking on a photo kiosk type setup for wedding guests that they could print some photos and my photos would automatically send from camera to the kiosk. I've seen 1 photographer do it before but he wont say how its done. Probably for obvious reasons but I'm just trying to figure out how its done is all. He was using a canon camera from what I seen.

Soldato
Depends on how he's shooting, most places only print to A5 so a low res jpg would do and wireless would work while walking around.

Another option is multiple mem cards, shoot 10-20 photos, take them back to the kiosk, switch and have software (or a lackey) that automatically copies them to a HDD + backup and wipes the cards ready for you to use again.

I wouldn't be happy printing low res jpgs right off without error checking them and tweaking them.

Associate
OP
Depends on how he's shooting, most places only print to A5 so a low res jpg would do and wireless would work while walking around.

Another option is multiple mem cards, shoot 10-20 photos, take them back to the kiosk, switch and have software (or a lackey) that automatically copies them to a HDD + backup and wipes the cards ready for you to use again.

I wouldn't be happy printing low res jpgs right off without error checking them and tweaking them.

Yea that's something like I was thinking too. I'm not sure how he does it. I wouldn't be keen on printing them too unless his software does like an auto correct on them before printing?. I guess I'm really plucking as feathers here in this case. Would I be aloud to post his video here without breaking forum rules? I'm not looking to copy him exactly, I would want to change a few things but just to even find out how its done would be great.

Soldato
The camera in the video is a 5d3, so probably keeping the high res shots on the CF card and sending low res jpeg over eyefi to the kiosk.

If you're planning to use this at a live event I would strongly recommend having an assistant on a PC that intercepts the photos (taking group shots of people is usually 4-5 shots to avoid blinkers so the extras would need to be deleted), publishes the keepers to the kiosk and also used for crowd control. All you need is Auntie Sue to find the kiosk and spend 15 minutes flicking through every photo going "oooo that's a nice one I want a copy of that" to every single photo, especially if you have a printer on it. Having an assistant would help find the photos of that person and move them along instead of treating it like a private viewing session.

In the past the assistant would do a card swap as you're shooting so they have the latest photos to show, another option would be to run a tethered tablet (I have one that mounts to my hotshoe during the day and fits in my back pocket during the night when I need a flash) which will have stronger wifi than an eyefi card.

Back
Top Bottom