Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Associate
They is different methods of achieving the same thing. Dolby Headphone was designed to take a stereo audio source and create a virtual surround sound. These Methods like SBx all have an unwanted echo effect that i find very annoying unnatural, like playing inside an empty hall.
Senn GSX takes the virtual sound to a different approach by accepting a 7.1 audio source and down mixing it using there rendering engine to create a much, Much better surround sound experience.
I have personally tested I believe all surround sound available and can say nothing on the market right now offers a better surround sound experience for headphones then the GSX 1000.

Using HeSuVi to compare, Dolby Atmos for headphones alters the sound the least by a huge margin, while everything else dulls, adds tons of echo, or both. I purchased the Atmos for headphones plugin and it sounds identical to using HeSuVi. It's free so I recommend giving it a go to see for yourself.

Soldato
They is different methods of achieving the same thing. Dolby Headphone was designed to take a stereo audio source and create a virtual surround sound.
Listening Trump&Co News Channel?
Dolby Headphone was designed precisely to take 5.1 signal as input simulating that surround sound through headphones.
Sure it has some mode for stereo input, but that doesn't create anything but that virtual surround, with source data lacking surround information.

Unfortunate for some reason they also wanted it to simulate room acoustics, resulting in public bath level echo in DH2/DH3...

Associate
I have been using the GSX1000 with the Game Zero headphones for about a year playing CSGO and Quake Champions exclusively, so I have a strong sense of what the audio sounds like in these games.

I just upgraded to the GSP 600 headphones a few weeks ago and I must say these changed my impression of the GSX 1000 quite substantially.

I tested the GSX 1000 + GSP 600/Game Zeros on 2.0 HD Stereo with Stereo Headphones/Speakers and CS GO 3D in game processing, compared this to the 7.1 surround + 5.1 in game surround options and I can attest the GSX 1000 sounds better on both headsets. The up/down position qualities on the CS GO in engine solution are better, but you can frequently hear small artifacting in the effects when A/B testing it against the GSX 1000. The GSX 1000 has way clearer directional information and you can better tell depth/distance of sounds, however the up/down positional information is noticeably worse than in game 3D positional audio over stereo, but that should be expected if you understand how these solutions work.

The best setting for the GSX 1000 positional audio is 7.1 mode in Windows, 5.1/7.1 Speaker mode in the game (if available), nothing set additionally on the GSX 1000. I have seen a few people suggest thing setting, it's the best option, so if this setting sounds bad on your headphones, buy different headphones for a different sound signature.

The Game Zero headphones are 150Ohm, which is probably the maximum the GSX 1000 is capable of properly supporting, but the sound is not as punchy as from a more powerful source (I have tested this on a Mayflower and Sound Blaster X). The Game Zero was not a bass oriented headphone, and due to the limited power available I was never very impressed with the setup on the GSX 1000. I would use the Music EQ, 7.1, Front Speaker Boost and that sounded quite good all round in music and games, but all the effects seemed to impair the positional nature of the sound, despite making it less harsh and more full with a better low end.

The GSP 600 on the other hand has heaps of bass, I would argue too much to even bother using any of the EQs on the GSX 1000, but that's a good thing as you want that 7.1 clean settings configuration on the device. The headphone is 50Ohm, which is way more suitable for the GSX 1000 power situation and the power and bass is very strong in 7.1 with very clear position qualities and as much or better clarity than the Game Zero. Much of this is probably also due to the physical design of the GSP 600 clamping the cups significantly better, though the headset looks like some sort of device or a hat rather than a headphone, whatevs.

It is still however, hopeless for music in 7.1 configuration. The only configuration that is suitable whatsoever for music listening, is the 2.0 HD mode on the GSX 1000. It does sound exceptional on the GSP 600, much better than the same setting on the Game Zero and that's due to the power delivery IMO. The only issue with this is it's not a setting on the device, rather you need to configure it manually to stereo and then the higher resolution output. Very annoying when you want 7.1 settings for CSGO and then back to 2.0 HD for music, then back to 7.1 for a show or a movie. This is by far the worst part of the design and perhaps could be resolved with firmware, though I expect not without a desktop client, which I am not opposed to if for that sole purpose btw. Did I mention it is super annoying! mostly because both modes are so good, but for totally different purposes and using the 7.1 setting on music is OK, but so dramatically better on the 2.0 HD configuration it's annoying not use it. For clarity the 2.0 setting on the amp while in 16 bit mode sounds worse than the 2.0 HD 24 bit mode, I doubt due to resolution alone, but it sounds obviously worse so it's really not useful.

I feel as though the GSP 600 is a solid product on it's own and capable of sounding good on high quality motherboard audio or better and you can rely on in game surround features that are common in many games now days. The Game Zero is an odd product, they are really tuned for an open sound on their own so are better with 2.0 input IMO, but require more power and an EQ tweak to sound good and the GSX 1000 simply doesn't offer that. The GSX 1000 is also a product that is quite expensive for what you get, fairly limited in terms of functionality and a low power output, though it it seems to work perfectly with the GSP 600. I assume this is very obviously the point, to buy both and that is what I would suggest.

I think I would strongly recommend the GSP500 or GSP600 alongside the GSX 1000, over most other configurations I can think of in a similar total price range for gaming audio, it does the best 7.1 effect I have heard and I have tested most hardware options available. I would suggest the Game Zero with a high end Sound Blaster or Xonar card with a bit of power and an EQ probably in 2.0 mode. But individually I probably wouldn't recommend any of these products, other than the GSP 600, but its expensive.

Soldato
OP
What do you mean???

The GSX has two audio devices "see image"
73771526fea5f249507bca96f669ff5183d9a08570cd6daca7701c2ae4da288d60b1f9aa.jpg

One is the main audio i.e. the 7.1 goodness etc the other is for Discord or Teamspeak etc you can control the volume by the wheel on the side of the unit and even do cool separate recording by choicing to record both these devices together with recording hardware/software.

Soldato
yes but if you leave it on the other and play a game you get a mess of audio :D like undecipherable surround mess. I thought my ears were broken for a bit till i realised my mistake :D

Associate
Wow it's almost been 2 years since i last posted, I was sorting through my bookmarks and found this page again.

I've been using the GSX 1000 ever since (in fact I'm listening to some music through it right now).

I was looking for an upgrade from the Ear Force DSS and this absolutely delivered in every way. It's not perfect however and I still think it's overpriced. £99 would be the ideal price point for this (I essentially paid double back in 2016), but seeing how there's no real competition as far as I'm aware, I guess they can price it however they want.

There is this one issue I'd like to share. It's nothing too major, but if you turn the volume down all the way down to 00, you can still hear the sound leaking through... It's very very faint, but it's there, turning the volume down doesn't completely eliminate the sound. Now this may not sound like a big deal, but when I work I like to play music through my headphones at very low volumes. At the lowest volumes I've noticed that the quality or delivery of sound isn't consistent/the same. Sorry this is a bit difficult to explain & I'm no audiophile, I'm sure there's better terminology to describe this, but it seems the device struggles to deliver the same level of sound experience at low volumes. When you crank the volume up around 20-30 the sound is superb. However I don't want to go deaf by playing at those levels all day, so as a workaround I lower the application specific volume controller instead (e.g. foobar player) and so all the quality/deliverance of the sound remains, just at much lower volumes.

I shouldn't have to do this as a workaround though. This was never a problem with the Soundblaster Z or even the Earforce DSS. This makes me question the quality of this device & the price I paid for it.

Also, I've noticed that the sound behaves differently when the device is configured as "Stereo" speakers or as "7.1 speakers" from the Windows Speakers Setup menu/Playback Devices Menu. Essentially you can replicate a true 7.1 surround sound, or simply "expand" stereo sound and give it a much broader sound-stage. Initially I thought this was the actual surround sound and was very disappointed, but then I realized I had the setup wrong. So if you want true native 7.1 emulation make sure your speaker setup on windows is set on 7.1 surround, otherwise all you get is expanded stereo (which actually is perfect for when watching lectures or non 7.1 content). And this might simply be a placebo on my part, but I feel that when the GSX is configured as Stereo both on the windows speakers setup menu and the device itself, the stereo seems "truer" than when it is configured as a set of 7.1 speakers on windows. There technically shouldn't be any difference if the device itself bypasses everything via it's own stereo output setting, but I still feel there's a very slight difference.

Anyways, other than that, the surround sound experience is everything it's advertised to be, and the overall sound quality is good enough for my use case (slightly worse than the soundblaster z, but significantly better than the Earforce DSS). The bass delivery is best with the Movie/Story mode EQ, and for slightly more pronounced highs-mids & tighter bass use the Audio EQ. The Esports EQ is a joke, never use that.

Soldato
Its just a shame the hardware isn't better, I wonder how long it will be until something comes close to Sennheiser's DSP.
It could be a long time, it kinda already has been
Creative is developing/finishing products with customizable HRTF, so soon Sennheiser won't even have anything on that DSP.

Man of Honour
Their SBX is already "customizable" so idk what that means or if it will matter but I guess we'll see.

You can't actually tweak or profile any of the HRTF parameters themselves however only how much the default surround HRTF modifier is applied and some stock EQ modifiers.

Soldato
Been running the GSX1000 along with some HD599's since release, am I still doing it right or is there a better option since I changed over to this setup. Gaming is 99% of the usage.
Creative has well cheaper products plain crushing it in DAC and headphone output quality.
But better to wait when Creative gets to releasing products with their head and ear shape customizable HRTF algorithm.
Besides doing in general bad job in designing human that "upstair's guy" also forgot to standardize head shape.

Back
Top Bottom