Sennheiser HD599SE vs Philips Fidelio X2HR

Soldato
I want to upgrade from my current headphones,and both of these are on offer for around the £100 mark. They will be mostly used for listening to music(I have a Myryad Z40 headphone amp to drive them) - a wide soundstage,decent details and good vocals are what I am after. Also,something a bit engaging too(not too laid back). Which one would be a better choice?? Is there any other headphones for a similar price which are worth looking at??

Edit!!

Massdrop also sell in the EU - so there is the Hifiman HE4XX and Sennheiser HD58X.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't say whether the HE4XX was the best choice, as I don't know how they compare to the others.

Of the others; HD599 I don't think are what you are looking for, as the 5** range can be described as being laid back. X2HR would be a better choice for something a bit more engaging.

HD58X is a great choice for vocals and detail.

Soldato
OP
Can't say whether the HE4XX was the best choice, as I don't know how they compare to the others.

Of the others; HD599 I don't think are what you are looking for, as the 5** range can be described as being laid back. X2HR would be a better choice for something a bit more engaging.

HD58X is a great choice for vocals and detail.

Thanks for the insights! I was considering the X2HR myself,but heard it had a V shaped sound signature,but a very great soundstage,and good bass. The HD58X reviews say what you just said,vocals were good and it was detailed,but the soundstage was somewhat narrower and bass was lighter. The HE4XX apparently seems to somewhere in-between them,and they were on offer so going to give them a try. The HD58X was out of stock,but about £20 more expensive - they have come back into stock now,so don't know whether I should buy those also and see what I prefer. The HD6XX was apparently on offer but it sold out very quickly which was a shame! :(

Back
Top Bottom