Sennheiser to exit consumer headphone and speaker markets...

Associate
A sad story I've seen this morning, Sennheiser to exit consumer headphone and speaker markets.

"Sennheiser has announced that it wants to leave the consumer headphone and speaker markets, and has put its corresponding division up for sale. In the future, Sennheiser wants to focus on professional products going forwards."

Sennheiser wants out of the consumer headphone and speaker markets - NotebookCheck.net News

Sennheiser has always been my favourite headphone brand and it's a real shame if this is true. I'm currently rocking IE80S BT and I love them, the upcoming IE300 have piqued my interest too.

It does seem the sound market is extremely competitive now, particularly as people are recommending £50 headphones as sounding exceptional. The wireless migration probably hasn't helped either.

Probably not surprising really but still sad.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
You would have thought headphone sales would have gone through the total roof and be selling like hotcakes very shocked.

Soldato
I’m not surprised, their gaming division recently moved to EPOS.

While their headphones are undoubtedly brilliant, they’re not what the average consumer looks for, and typically lack in a key area.

Headphones don’t need to be the best to sell well, they just need to be known.

Soldato
Sennheisers here for the last 35+ years. A bit... well, sad over tech? Yes, I guess. Maybe I should have spent more and upgraded my 580s a bit sooner.

I will say though that the wireless Sennheisers I bought about 18 months ago were supposed to be a replacement for an ageing (taped up) set of earlier wireless Sennheisers that I use with the TV. But I still use the old ones (even more taped up) because the new ones never bedded in as comfortable. It was a bit of a puzzle for me, because usually I stuck with them because their circumaural headphones were always spot on, comfort-wise.

Man of Honour
Was annoying they phased out the higher end MX line - hard to find a replacement - I had a feeling this was coming.

Soldato
They make the best headphones in my opinion, mad to think they cannot compete. This is not a good sign for other producers of 'proper' headphones.

I have tried loads over the years and have ended up with two. HD660s for music and my old but much loved PC363D for gaming.

Caporegime
They make the best headphones in my opinion, mad to think they cannot compete. This is not a good sign for other producers of 'proper' headphones.

I have tried loads over the years and have ended up with two. HD660s for music and my old but much loved PC363D for gaming.
When you have the likes of Dr Dre going on about how Beats are revolutionary in the market and are high end when in fact they're total **** and they actually add weights to them internally to give a feeling of weight, strength and quality you know most of the consumer headphone market is about looks, advertising and marketing rather than actual quality of product.

I have a Sennheiser Gaming headset which I really like. I got some 3rd party new ear pads as the fake leather finish was coming apart but sound wise they're still great. I got the same set for my Son for his Christmas only a couple of month ago when they were reduced to £60 elsewhere and he really likes them too. Now I might pick up another set before they go EoL just in case these ones go pop, they're four years old now!

Associate
Sennheiser died a long time ago when the HD600 series engineer left. Apart from those two headphones they haven't had anything memorable or even good sounding imo apart from the HD560S. They been making consumer grade products mostly, their gaming line has had how many refreshes?

I'll always appreciate Sennheiser because they made a timeless headphone(s) in the 600 + 650 but can't say I'll miss them as they've not done much since in the headphone game. They will always known as an OG along with Beyer, AKG though and those Germans know how to make a built to last headphone.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sennheiser died a long time ago when the HD600 series engineer left. Apart from those two headphones they haven't had anything memorable or even good sounding imo apart from the HD560S. They been making consumer grade products mostly, their gaming line has had how many refreshes?

I'll always appreciate Sennheiser because they made a timeless headphone(s) in the 600 + 650 but can't say I'll miss them as they've not done much since in the headphone game. They will always known as an OG along with Beyer, AKG though and those Germans know how to make a built to last headphone.

It seems HiFiMan are the new guy everyone flocks to these days.

Back
Top Bottom