US: SENSE8 - Wachowskis - netflix

Soldato
I liked it, if you are open minded enough and dont get overly into the whole sex stuff be it straight gay or whatever then its good, people do what people do, although I do agree about the percentage of LGBT stuff, it suggests that there are a higher percentage of LGBT types globally, but again I suspect that this is the same checklist that other TV channels run on and will push certain types to tick boxes, you know, in the same way that they used to do with female comediennes, despite women not being funny ;)

I didnt really know what it was about but watched it as it was a JMS thing, then found out the BJS (SG:U) was in it, JMS has already stated that he has a whole 5 season arc for it, as expected with JMS, be interesting to see what they do with it..

Man of Honour
I think it ended up being alright. The first few episodes I thought the whole LGBT thing was a nice touch and applauded it for going where not many (any?)) other shows have gone before. But then it seemed to just continue repeating the same message every time. I just want to see some cool Sci-Fi paranormal action now dammit! Which is what the trailer lead me to expect.

A one time only watch series for sure.

Man of Honour
I think it ended up being alright. The first few episodes I thought the whole LGBT thing was a nice touch and applauded it for going where not many (any?)) other shows have gone before. But then it seemed to just continue repeating the same message every time. I just want to see some cool Sci-Fi paranormal action now dammit! Which is what the trailer lead me to expect.

A one time only watch series for sure.

Yup - if they'd cut the LGBT stuff to half the amount and used the time to exploit the potential with the connections it would have probably been one of the best TV shows in a long time - I really like the potential for what could be done with a group of normal, if talented people being able to cooperate like that without having actual super powers (other than the connection) - seeing them innovate and improvise their way through increasingly challenging situations would have made some great viewing.

Soldato
Agreed. At the same time, some of them didn't look to have much to offer, while others had plenty. I thought Wolfgang would be used for picking locks and such, but instead he beat someone up, which Sun was generally best at.

Lito, Capheus, Riley and Kala all seemed a little useless (aside the time Kala apparently knew how to bring someone (Will?) out of his deep sleep instantly, when the bad guys couldn't).

Soldato
My wife and I really enjoyed this show. Yeah, the LGBT stuff is pushed rather unsubtly and there were some pointless sex scenes (there is one with Nomi and Amanita while everyone else watches fireworks which just seems completely out of contect and needless) but, overall, I rthough it all worked well. I actually liked that they took the time to develop the characters into rich, detailed people, rather than just be action, action, action. Some odd points though.
1 - Will seeing ghosts. Huh?
2 - Lito's bizarre interaction with the barman when he makes his decision. That's how you show your love for your partner? By kissing someone else, drinking loads of tequila and then driving? O...K.
3 - Riley. I know she's got issues but, wow, what a snivelling wimp. In the final episode my wife and I were constantly just pulled out of the action by the stupidity of her actions. And who the hell grows up in Iceland without an emergency kit in their car?

Associate
I agree about all the sex scenes - really like the plot and idea of the show ... but really dont need the sex scenes for me to want to watch the show - if anything it was a turn off.

Still enjoyed the show thou - ending seemed interesting.

I like the karate chick the best.

Man of Honour
Wolfgang is an interesting character as you never quite know whether you should sympathise with him or hate him. Agreed with the above his talents were under-used and had a lot of story potential.

Soldato
Just binge watched all 12 episodes over three days and really enjoyed it - in spite of the gratuitous gay sex. Just because Lana/Larry Wachowski is transgender doesn't mean pretty much all of the sex in the series is LGBT. A bit of it would be fair enough because it shows how different the whole group are from each other and in a situation like this it would become rather awkward as when Lito and Will first talk to each other. I just think they went too far and it all got a bit boring. The action definitely got turned up in the second half of the series and some of it was very good, usually when Sun was involved.
Now I'm crossing my fingers for a second season because they certainly left it open for one. :)

Associate
I watched the first and part of the second episode and that was enough for me, too much focus on the gay couples.

Which is a shame because there is probably a good story here, but I wont be watching it again.

Back
Top Bottom