Serious Smoker...

Associate
My 95 Fiesta Si 1.6 has recently (last few weeks) been throwing out a hell of a lotta smoke from the exhaust when traveling at speeds of 60mph+.

I recently had a new lambda sensor fitted (4 weeks ago) and the smoke started about a week later. I assumed it was the new sensor bedding in, or the mechanic leaving some oil around the exhaust area that was burning off.

the problem went away after a couple of weeks so i though great, the cars sorted.

The car does have a severe oil leak which so i'm always having to top it up.

Topped it up again last friday and found the next day that the smoke was pouring from the exhaust again!

I've got the car going into the garage on thursday to have the oil leak fixed and to see if the guy can spot the smoke problem.

Any one have a clue as to whats happening here? I'm thinking that when i'm toping up the oil, its getting into the excuse my ignorance "wrong place" and burning up and out through the exhaust.

Any ideas?

Associate
OP
Rilot said:
The oil leak and the smoke are more than likely related. If it's blue smoke then your car is burining the oil rather than it leaking away.

I'm hoping this is the case and will be sorted when i get the gasket seal sorted on thursday.

Is there any chance the engine could be damaged as a result of the problems i'm having? I dont suddenly want the mechanic to say the engines fooked and it'll cost hundreds to sort!

May aswell get a new car if that was the case.

Soldato
dantonkin said:
Plugs and leads were new about 2 months back. They should be ok.

Ah, but if its a serious oil burner they will already be black.

Trust me, I own such a car - 70 miles and they are black.

The fact they've just been done is even more reason to look at them. :)

Compression test may shed some light on the matter too. And maybe popping off the breather hose to see if oil spits out. There are lots of tests that can be done. What gasket is it?

Soldato
Oh right, nothing too major then.

I sympathise as I have a smokey car which I dont drive anymore because its so bad :(

I would check to make sure theres no oil in the coolant (head gasket symptoms) or mayonaise type stuff (oil+water mix) on the dipstick.
Id check plugs and do a compression test. The lambda sensor can also be checked with the right equipment.
Time to get friendly with a mechanic who doesnt charge too much.

Soldato
Well, the rocker cover is just the 'lid' on top of the engine. It may be that or more likely one of the O rings leaking oil into the cylinder (the small gaskets around where the spark plugs go) which also get done when you do the rocker cover gasket.

Hope it is as thats a pretty simple job. Did it myself on the Fiat.

Back
Top Bottom