Server backup options?

Soldato
I have a server running on Linode. I do not need to back up the operating system or the configuration as I can reconfigure that by hand pretty quickly but what I do need to backup is the website files and the media files stored on the server (primarily video but some images as well).

There will be significant amounts of data as I'll be hosting quite a few videos and will hopefully be moving to 4k video at some point this year so you can imagine how my storage needs are going to increase. I was going to use Linode block storage to store of all these media files, but I want a backup that is outside of Linode just in-case something goes wrong with Linode, and I need to change hosts.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I was thinking of using Amazon Glacier, but I don't know of any client tools that let you quickly set up backups using it. All my servers run Ubuntu 18.04.

Edit: Since the site is built on Wordpress I guess I could use one of the Jetpack plans that include full backups. I'm not sure if that will meet my requirements or not.

Associate
Depends on size of data, frequency of change etc but another small CPU / ram with suitable disk cloud vm hosted else where and rsync? Maybe an s3 bucket?

Soldato
OP
Depends on size of data, frequency of change etc but another small CPU / ram with suitable disk cloud vm hosted else where and rsync? Maybe an s3 bucket?

I'm not sure about the size of the data. I'll be making a video about once or twice a week and it will be recorded in 4k resolution at 60fps so will take up quite a bit of storage space since each video will probably be an hour long or so. I might well post more blog posts than that though so the Wordpress database will probably change quite a bit.

Soldato
OP
glacier with the aws-cli and is fairly easy to use and is pretty cheep if you want to keep it long term and don’t delete it within 3 months

Sounds good. I'll be keeping these files for years so Amazon Glacier will probably be a good fit for me as I'll just be uploading new files say once a week and just leaving them there.

Back
Top Bottom