Server built, e5-2670

Associate
I've been looking at a multi core server.

I'm unsure if the e5-2670 is best option, what other options offer something comparable.

Associate
OP
I am yet to decide a case, I like the thermal take w100

The use will be for Unraid, around 4 VMs running. Cctv, Windows, Linux plus file server.

I see the guide tech city showing cost effective server setups.

Soldato
I am yet to decide a case, I like the thermal take w100

The use will be for Unraid, around 4 VMs running. Cctv, Windows, Linux plus file server.

I see the guide tech city showing cost effective server setups.

That's still not a lot of info but 8 cores/16 threads is quite a lot - would probably easily run most things.

Associate
Bit over kill unless you're getting it for free.

I have T20, E3 -1225v3 i think, 32gb ram and 2 1tb ssd data stores.

Mine has a file server/sabnzbd/couchpotato/sick rage box, pfsense and Plex server with hundreds of TV shows and films.

Never misses a beat, full speed downloads (300mb fibre) while streaming...

With virtual machines, it's memory and storage speed that are the biggest priority imo.

Associate
OP
Bit over kill unless you're getting it for free.

I have T20, E3 -1225v3 i think, 32gb ram and 2 1tb ssd data stores.

Mine has a file server/sabnzbd/couchpotato/sick rage box, pfsense and Plex server with hundreds of TV shows and films.

Never misses a beat, full speed downloads (300mb fibre) while streaming...

With virtual machines, it's memory and storage speed that are the biggest priority imo.

I also have that machine, i need something with more CPU power due to a windows VM running 6 1080p CCTV Cameras.

Associate
I also have that machine, i need something with more CPU power due to a windows VM running 6 1080p CCTV Cameras.

Do you need more CPU though, have you checked the performance monitor to see where the bottle neck is?

How much ram do you have, what storage?

Soldato
Do you need more CPU though, have you checked the performance monitor to see where the bottle neck is?

How much ram do you have, what storage?

I Agree - The E3-1225 v3 has a really strong single thread performance. I'm surprised you are hitting a cpu bottleneck - what app are you using for cctv capture

Associate
OP
I run windows 10 VM which managing the IP cameras with Blue Iris as the software.

That takes the grunt of the CPU, i have 20GB ECC ram. I need another 2 VMs for business work, running linux and windows.

Along with the Docker images in UNRAID.

Associate
OP
What virtualisation setup are you using?

How many cores and how much RAM have you allocated?

I have allocated
Windows 10 1core + 1 hyp
KVM (under unraid)
12gb Ram
Cameras (1080p 3mb)

I am unable to set the Cameras to record continuous, they must be on motion detection otherwise its too much. Blu

Soldato
So you are using KVM for virtualisation, on Unraid, with a Windows 10 VM that you've allocated 1 core and 12GB RAM to, yes ?

I was waiting to find out you'd smashed loads of cores on and were getting low performance because the hypervisor kept waiting for cycles.

I'm genuinely surprised that it's taking loads of cpu effort. I've used a CCTV solution that was using some horrific old windows app, I think about 10+ 1080p cameras and the VM running it was tiny. All the effort was on storage.

Is the management tool running the streams in full take constantly somehow ?

Associate
OP
I kept blue iris settings at stock, that was constant recording which was too much, turning down to motion record solved the issue but its still a little sticky when navigating the windows 10 VM. The actual spec for blue iris is below when using 1080p

• Intel core i7 with QuickSync for hardware decoding
  • 8GB or more RAM
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10, 64 bit
  • nVIDIA graphics adaptor for efficient screen display
  • 7200+ RPM drives and/or SSD drive

Back
Top Bottom