Server Spec, need approval or suggestions please!

Associate
Hi all,

Just wanted to post a quick message to perhaps ask for some guidance and general advice on a spec for a server i am due to build for someone (hope i've got the right section to post this in). The person i'm building it for is paying me for my time so i really want to get it right!

Anyway, the server will be for a signage company, it's a relatively small business. They have an existing network of 3 computers and basically they want a server to host their files and to take the strain off of one of the workstations that's currently also the host of the network! In terms of data usage etc, the server won't really be that stressed, it will only have to handle general data on the network, and host an internet connection etc.

The budget is unfortunately quite strict at £500 (exc VAT), so here's the spec i've drummed up :

Case : Antec P180
Mobo : ASUS P5B
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 1.86ghz
RAM : OCZ 2GB DDR2 800MHz
HDD : Western Digital SATA II 500GB (x2)
PSU : Seasonic S12 430W
Graphics : Sapphire X1050 128MB

That's the main stuff for the spec, dvd drive etc will come later, but for now i just want to check that this spec will work ok with the needs of the business. I've specced the pc like this because the one they have now is quite old (P4 3.0ghz and 512mb ram) which ALSO has to be used as a workstation :rolleyes: . They cope fine on it, which is why i havent specced up a super server.

So, is this spec ok? will it work well for what they need? please add any suggestions that you might feel will help the spec etc.

Thanks in advance all!

Sam :)

Associate
OP
Benjarghmin said:
I'm intrigued as to why you think you need a P180 or a E4300 for a basic server/workstation.

Hi Benjarghmin,

I have specced this server to the max according to the budget, the guy i'm building it for asked about expandability, so i have used a core 2 cpu because he is looking to accomodate digital printing machinery which will mean handling bigger files etc. I used the Antec because it's a good case and has the ability to be upgraded with extra hdd etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions to perhaps a better idea for the case or perhaps something i have missed out?

Thanks for the comments so far guys

Permabanned
Surely anything will go for a server? I'd be putting an E2160 in there or something, with a cheap and cheerful case and PSU.

You could always go for the Sonata case.

Associate
Does seem over the top for basic file serving.

You could save a bit more money by using onboard gfx.

Are the disks raided?

I would also add a third disk in there for ancillary stuff such as temp files, log files, page files, 4 hourly backups etc.

Permabanned
Downgrade processor, maybe RAM, no need for anything but onboard graphics. You can always go for a 430W PSU + Case budget jobby.

Simple servers need very, very little to do their job, and so there's no need to spend too much on them.

Let me whip up a spec and show you what I'd buy.

Edit: This will be sharing files between 3 computers, correct? And what size files will they roughly be?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Benjarghmin said:
Downgrade processor, maybe RAM, no need for anything but onboard graphics. You can always go for a 430W PSU + Case budget jobby.

Simple servers need very, very little to do their job, and so there's no need to spend too much on them.

Let me whip up a spec and show you what I'd buy.

Edit: This will be sharing files between 3 computers, correct? And what size files will they roughly be?

The server is going to be storing data for 3 computers on the network, with an addition of another one later in the year.
It's going to be supplying pictures and graphics, so the average file size will be between 50-200mb. The important thing is reliability, as the server will be in place for a while, so i want to avoid it becoming insufficient in 2 years time.

This is my first time building a server by the way, i'm used to building gaming rigs etc!

Permabanned
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB ST3500630AS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM [x2] £111.98
(£131.58)
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC5300C4 667MHz Value DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX21GB5300DC) £22.99
(£27.01)
Antec NSK1300 ATX Cube Case - 300W PSU Antec NSK1300 ATX Cube Case - 300W PSU £49.99
(£58.74)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ (Socket 939) - OEM £33.99
(£39.94)
Asrock 939NF6G-VSTA Micro ATX (Socket 939) PCI-Express DDR Motherboard £39.99
(£46.99)
Samsung SH-S183ABEBN 18x18 DVD±RW Dual Layer Serial ATA ReWriter (Black) - OEM £16.50
(£19.39)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB ST380815AS SATA-II 8MB Cache - OEM £25.99
(£30.54)

Sub Total : £301.43
Shipping cost assumes delivery to UK Mainland with:
City Link Parcel Next Day (Delivered Mon-Fri)
(This can be changed during checkout) Shipping : £9.95
VAT is being charged at 17.5% VAT : £54.49
Total : £365.87

Had fun trying to find a board with SATA-II and Onboard Video at a cheap price, but there it is. I'd say that's still a more than adequate server, and it should last them a very long time. You could cut the price down even further by going single-core, though.

Associate
OP
Ok, thanks for all the suggestions, i'm gonna go with an AMD based system like suggested, thanks for all the ideas guys, special thanks to Benjarghmin, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom