Servicing main dealer or other? Brake fluid change

Associate
Need some advice guys

I own a 2008 Mercades CLK 220CDI which iv had since it was 2 years old. Its done 128k miles and shows major service B is due.

Iv always had the car services from Mercades as I assumed full service history would make car earlier to sell and fetch more. I never expected to keep the car 6 years.

Its now 8 years old and worth only 5k ish. Is it still worth me getting the major service done from Merc at £500 when local garages are quoting me £275?

Will anyone buying a £5k car expect full history? Surly the £200 saving will do me better now?

Also Merc always change brake fluid every 2 years when they do major service. Other garages tell me they only change if its required. What are your thoughts on this?

:confused::confused:

Man of Honour
Brake fluid absorbs water and should be changed on a regular basis. Most vehicle manufacturers define this as every 2 years.

Soldato
Get cheaper place or do it yourself.

Ask cheaper place to change brake fluid. It costs little

Soldato
If you get it done at a local, you can still get get the book stamped, so it would still count as a full history, no? Just not from MB. I don't think that would bother someone looking at that end of the market unless it was something particularly special or exotic.

And yes, brake fluid every 2 years is fairly standard. With an assistant and some rudimentary tools, it's also pretty easy to do yourself, unless you don't want to get your hands dirty.

Associate
is the £275 service doing all the same thing a £500 service is, if the answer is yes then its a no brainer.

If like some of my customers who come in saying they are getting the same service for half the cost, you ask what are they doing and most of the time it is a oil and filter change rather oil and filter plugs air filter diff oils ect but all they see is the cheapest cost.

Compare apples with apples not pears

Alex

Associate
Its a like for like service.

£500 by Merc and £275 from local garages INCLUDING the brake fluid change. The local garages are all telling me they will check the brake fluid and only recommend changing if necessary. If I opt not to have it changed I save £55 from the £275.

But by the sounds of things you all recommend I get it done every 2 years regardless of whether its 'needed'?

Soldato
The thing is, it is "needed" every two years. It's a safety issue. Behind tyre quality, it is the second most important really (the whole braking system).

Associate
The thing is, it is "needed" every two years. It's a safety issue. Behind tyre quality, it is the second most important really (the whole braking system).

No it isn't, brake fluid is not that hygroscopic, you can tell when it needs doing from the feel of the brake pedal and you will have plenty of warning when it needs doing. Years ago, brake fluid was never changed unless there was a problem. It is a money making scheme from the dealers, it can be left for longer without any problems.

Soldato
Mercedes now do value servicing is that what the £500 is based on?

Edit - had a quick look it's still £400

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can spend less than a tenner on a little tester pen that will tell you if your fluid is in need of replacing if you want piece of mind.

Top Bottom