SETI@home News Vol. 117 (17/10/10)

Soldato
Looks like we are back up, all PC's have work and are uploading and downloading without issue..
Need to clear the backlog of Rosetta and einstein before Im back up to full speed though...

Soldato
Shhh - it was all a wind up, Seti is down for another 7 days or so - or I hope thats what Reaver thinks as Im only 70K behind him and want to sneak past for a bit of crafty stompage :D

k3v

k3v

Associate
now seti is up and running and before we all get up to speed... can a combined user get us to the number one position in UK? blatantly stolen idea..... ;)

Soldato
now seti is up and running and before we all get up to speed... can a combined user get us to the number one position in UK? blatantly stolen idea..... ;)

Maybe, but due to the slightly competitive nature round here I would only do it if those around me were as well..

Im too proud of my top 10 place to crunch for another ID unless it was a team effort..

Soldato
Is ya ll sorted and ready for work Mr Marine?....cos there is non! Well very little seems seti is stuck so it's folding untill it comes around, good to see you back......week long slackerrrrrr :p;)

Soldato
Week!!!!! :eek: It's been ages since I touched a proper mouse and decent keyboard hope this one won't try and catch fire and kill me in my sleep :p

Just got to see if everything is stable and start overclocking on a new Bios screen layout :( which I hate :(

Soldato
It was just before you went into radio blackout i had the chance of a psu and emailed ya but your all sorted now.......

Now for gawwdddss sake do not thrash it within an inch of its life, no suicide o/clock run just a nice n steady 2.8 and a mug of ovaltine :D:D:D:D

Soldato
it never rains but pours...
After losing my GTS250 a few weeks back, my trusty old 8800GT has finally died..
Can't blame it really as it has been running at 100% gpu usage since the day I bought it, so it has done me well.
It was my first seti crunching card as well, and has done me proud on the credit front - nearly 4 million..

If it could have only held on until bulldozer arrived, then I could have upgraded it along with my rig..

Im thinking of going for a 4850 as a stop gap, not ideal, but I only have 36A on 2 x 12V rails, so my choices are limited. I might be able to get away with a downclocked 460, but I dont want to buy a new card until I upgrade the rig next year as Im not sure whether I will go nvidia or ati..

Goes off to scour fleabay to see what I can find

RIP 8800GT - you have served me well old friend...

Soldato
Any fermi will be quite good at seti as they all have the ability to run multiple tasks, but I can pick up a 4850 for around 40-50 quid, which is half the price of a 450.
If I knew what my upgrade would be, then I might be tempted to have a shuffle around on my rigs, but Im waiting for the bulldozer tests before I upgrade, so this card only has to last 6 months or so, and will then be binned.
Im thinking 4850, as I can run seti or MW and it is slightly better than the 8800GT but in the same power envelope..

Man of Honour
But aren't Ati's rubbish at Seti? Only bearable at Folding and excellent at Milkyway? I think they are also supposed to be decent at Collatz but I haven't tried it myself.

Soldato
There is a beta app out that is quite good for the multibeam units..
I might have a look at the nvidia 430's instead, Im trying to get away with the cheapest possible option I can and yet still crunch something..
Im waiting to see if an offer I made for 40 quid on a 4850 will be accepted first..

Back
Top Bottom