setting up Hyper V 2016 and server 2016 questions

Associate
Hi

a bit of a newbie questions

I want to set up server 2016 test lab but i wanted to know if i should set up Hyper V server then install server 2016 on a VM or should i install server 2016 and run Hyper v from server 2016.

Whats the best practice?

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 and then using hyper v install a server 2016 vm a server 2016 vm file server, server 2016 dc vm a server 2016 system center vm.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Caporegime
I don't believe there is a best practice so the choice usually comes down to manageability (powershell/remote management vs a GUI), available resources and licensing.

In a test environment I'd want to familiarise myself with both types of install as well as Nano with the Hyper-V role installed.

You could always try nested Hyper-V so install Hyper-V server, install Server 2016 in a VM then install the Hyper-V role on top of that. Install two VMs running Server 2016 with the Hyper-V role installed and you've got a cluster to play around with as well :)

Associate
Personally I would use a Server 2016 Hyper-V host and nest the machines within. The main reason being is that a GUI makes the server easier to manage. BUT if you are looking to troubleshoot/learn etc then try the Core setup and install RSAT tools on another PC to manage the server and use power shell (Bit of a PIA but technically more stable if setup correctly)

Back
Top Bottom