severe framerate lag every few seconds

Associate
I recently bought an XFX 6850, and a Coolermaster 500w psu. After installing them, I get severe framerate lag for about a second, every few seconds, in every game and blu ray playback.
I reinstalled windows, and updated all drivers, but the problem still persisted. So, I took out the card and replaced it with my old one, a 4850, and for most of the day everything seemed fine. Then late at night, the problem started up again, for a few minutes. Also, the other displays flicker, java crashes constantly, and the amd display driver crashed a lot.
I then reinstalled the new 6850, and instantly get the framerate issue, but so far no java or driver crashes. It might be the psu being faulty, but I don't have a spare powerful enough to test that, or a spare system to test the graphics card.

I don't really know what's going on here so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Associate
Thanks, I'll check out the drivers tonight, although I downloaded the latest from the xfx support site. Will these work with a 6850 though? I'll try the ram and checking the cables in the morning, and I did reinstall a fresh OS after getting the new components. Sadly didn't help.

Associate
Installing the drivers from that link unfortunately didn't fix the problem. I'll post again once I've unplugged and reconnect everything.

Associate
Nah no overclock, just as-is from the box. And yea I went to the amd site and got the driver there, from the thread your post links to.